main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's The Defenders

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jul 21, 2016.

1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Pretty solid trailer - looks like it should be a fun series, I'm especially looking forward to seeing Iron Fist and Luke Cage together (despite not watching Iron Fist yet) and I'm always down for some more Jessica Jones and Daredevil.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah. That looks even better than I thought it would.

3. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Super pumped for this.

Like most people figured, looks like they're continuing the Black Sky arc in a big way. Elektra doesn't appear too friendly here...

4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Good trailer, it made me chuckle (not sure if that was the response they were aiming for?)

Ironic that the theme for a superhero show be sung by a guy who couldn't wield a shotgun effectively - especially since one of the protagonists survived a shotgun blast to the throat.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Very good trailer- love the continued use of that CAYA version; tines well when they debut Weaver to "as I'm no enemy...".

And Danny already looks better here than he did in his series.

6. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I'd say this show would have a better writing team.

7. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    This is kind of confirming my hunch that the primary problem with Iron Fist was that the show was simply rushed. Just from this brief trailer alone, Finn Jones shows better acting and fight choreography than he did in most of Iron Fist S1. Hopefully S2 will be better and give the writers/actors more time to work with.

8. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    The hand....i have to agree with "Movie Bob" Chipman, the Hand are boring. Generic bad guy organization, The serpent society might have worked as a criminal attempt to counterbalance supers (And Diamond Back was wonderfully hammy) The Hand lack pazzaz.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

But what made them a great duo in Marvel in the eighties was they were two characters that had gone wrong and were out of balance as heroes: Luke Cage was a character who had been written by a succession of white writers who made him a stereotypical 'angry black man from the streets', while Danny had been written by Chris Claremont as naïve and almost passive, Claremont having given all the bad-ass attitude to his female supporting cast Misty Knight and Colleen Wing (and I think he was way more interested in them than IF). Together though the angry Cage balanced out the passive Rand and made them a great double-act. However in the Netflix series Cage is calm and well rounded while Danny is... badly written. You can't change the formula for the live-action and expect it to work like it did in PM&IF's heyday just because the live-action characters share the same names as their comic book counterparts. I don't know if they'll work well together or not.

Despite being a big PM&IF fan from back in the day, I'm actually most looking forward to Charlie Cox and Krysten Ritter interactions as I feel they're the strongest actors of the ensemble.

Liked seeing Colleen there, too.

Jedi Merkurian and tom like this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I like the trailer and it highlights why I like Jessica Jones so much as she's the Tony Stark of the team; snarky and quippy.

And Iron Fist comes off alot better because he doesn't have the burden of carry the series. He's the like the goofy side kick for comic relief.

The trailer also confirmed my thought as to why the second half of season 2 of Daredevil felt wanting as it was a set up for the Defenders.

Anyway, it was nice to see the team together.

11. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    you don't like the newest incarnation?

12. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    No. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it like I hated Kaare Andrews' Iron Fist the Living Weapon, but what I read of it is too jokey. Most IF fans I've seen on CBR have given up on it, regarding it as more of a Luke Cage book, and feel that Danny is portrayed as far too silly. Really not a version of the character I like.

13. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    so more of a 7 cities of Heaven by Fraction Danny Rand style?

14. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Very much so. I'm actually a fan of Claremont and Byrne's IF run from the 70s, despite as I said feeling that Claremont was more interested in the female characters than Danny, and I really like Mary Jo Duffy's writing on PM&IF, especially when paired with Kerry Gammill's pencils (he'll always be the artist I think of when I think of Luke and Danny together), but yes, Fraction/Bubaker/Aja's IIF series pretty much nailed the tone and look I'd want for an Iron Fist ongoing.

Master_Lok and Darth_Invidious like this.
  15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Did Claire have coffee?

cerealbox and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  16. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Lol. =D=

17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    You know you're a nerd when...

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Claremont was always more interested in his female characters. That was plainly evident during his X-Men run and other works. There was a time where I thought he dearly wished the book could be called THE UNCANNY X-WOMEN, except that he couldn't get away with it.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Kevin Smith's playful reaction to the Defenders poster.

[​IMG]

The2ndQuest and Rew like this.
  21. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Jessica: You gotta loosen up, Devil. You'd feel a hell of a lot better if you'd rip into the occasional client.

Matt: What for? They don't bother me if I don't bother them.

Jessica: Liar! Tell me there aren't clients that annoy the piss out of you on a daily basis.

Matt: There aren't.

Jessica: How can you lie like that? Why don't you vent? Vent your frustration. Come on, who pisses you off?

Matt: Corporates, man, corporates.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The Defenders Gang Up For New Netflix Image

[​IMG]

Iron Fist still looks like he can't fight in that still image.

I'm not sure about the tag line of the image either as it reminds me of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Fantastic Four; taking my attention away from the Defenders.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wait are these guys the Inhumans or no? Good god there's too many Marvel shows.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    As much as I love it, Matt just looks silly as the only one in full superhero getup. Even Luke carrying a manhole cover looks relatively normal in comparison. :p

Rew likes this.