main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's The Defenders

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jul 21, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Colleen just finds it refreshing to have a superhero friend that doesn't declare his alternate title aloud like punctuation.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    DEFENDERS IS LEAST WATCH MARVEL NETFLIX SHOW

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it was both the release window (late summer, when everyone was at peak GOT hype) and the fact that I think more people feel they need to watch all 4 series prior to Defenders to get Defenders, unlike the movies where you don't need to see all the solo films before watching Avengers.

Additionally, Iron Fist's reception, despite it's performance, may have harmed momentum heading into the series.

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I think Iron Fist was the biggest reason for Defenders low viewer numbers. It certainly didn't make me excited for the Defenders series.

But, I think word of mouth, as mentioned in the article above, that also contributed to Defenders low numbers. Netflix definitely went cheap with it and it showed in the final act of the series as there wasn't anything really noteworthy.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I know a few folks who were hesitant to start The Defenders, not because of word of mouth, but because they feel like they have to watch 5 seasons of TV beforehand. I am not helping matters because I tell them you kind of don't but you really should.

The Variety article also suggests that each Netflix Defenders series actually draws in an audience that like a certain type of show (Daredevil draws crime dramas, Jessica Jones draws dark humour). So they have a different genre hook to it. Defenders hook is almost purely superhero team up which, ironically, may appeal to less wide a group of viewers.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Most people do listen to you Allan, so yes, you aren't helping. Diggy

It's entirely possible the reason it's not widely watched is the bus has gone off the quality cliff and people know it?

JUST SPECULATING but also this.

Which makes me concerned because I was a big fan of the Punisher for years, (and Jon Benadryl did a great job in Daredevil Seasons 2 and 3 combined) and the show is at risk of being Iron Fist Levels of Terribad.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Referring me to Alfred twice so close together is quite cruel, Ender Sai

I mean Alec has a point. Look at box office numbers in the last few years. Dark humour and detective stories are far more popular than superheroes, it's a fact!

And where have can I get DD season 3?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Outside of IF's proximity, I don't think this is the case, if only because opinions on the Netflix shows varies so wildly- some feel JJ is the best, some feel that show is the worst.

Outside of the Punisher arc in DD S2 and, more often than not, DD S1, nothing has been consistently praised.

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    why did Stick cut his whole hand off , he'd only have to chop his thumb off to get out of those cuffs

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He was in a hurry.

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah , he just wants a robot hand

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Saw the first episode finally thanks to a mystery pain that woke me up and kept me up for 4 hrs last night. Not expecting greatness (e.g. Jessica Jones S1 IMO) but now I'll binge the rest.

14. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Knocked out the first 3 episodes last night and enjoying it more than Iron Fist at this stage. I'll keep with it :)

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    answer: a massive disappointment

Ender Sai and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If only because the prior shows (save IF) raised expectations pretty high. At worst, there are some similarities to Justice League minus the tone variation/director discoherence: Decent beginning, peaks in the middle and has a more by the numbers conclusion.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    nothing raises expectations quite like iron fist

DarthIntegral and The2ndQuest like this.
  19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol the defenders was disappointing because it was utterly awful, not because the other shows were good (for the most part they weren't).

Ender Sai likes this.
  20. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Finished. I enjoyed Defenders alot more than I did Iron Fist and Luke Cage.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    LOL

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000