main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's The Punisher

Discussion in 'Community' started by DebonaireNerd, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    So Deborah Ann Woll and Rosario Dawson float freely among all the Netflix Marvel shows, providing comfort, sexual tension and sidekickery wherever needed?

heels1785 likes this.
  2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't see Karen so much providing sexual tension. She may be a light in Matt's life but I see her more consoling Frank than having any romantic bond with him. It will be interesting to see how they handle Claire since she was in the hospital at the time Frank went on his shooting spree. Although she did have some (with gritted teeth) sympathy for one of the Russian brothers when Matt needed help with mending one of their wounds.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Rotten Tomatoes has The Punisher at 67%.

heels1785 likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Finally, some good news. I'll take it. Go Frank.

5. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Just finished the first two episodes.

So far it actually feels like the most 'episodic' of the Marvel Netflix shows. There are story arcs happening but I found the second episode worked just fine as a standalone show.

That said, there is...

...a fair bit of assumed knowledge. You won't need to wait long to see Karen Page.

But, the show isn't going to explain who that person is or why that person is relevant. You're just expected to know.

The positives:

- Soundtrack: Tom Waits is among it, great stuff
    - Best action choreography since Daredevil
    - Excellent title sequence
    - Unlike Luke Cage, there aren't too many background or secondary characters
    - Unlike Iron Fist, the lead characters are interesting

Best Marvel show since Jessica Jones so far, i'm really enjoying it.

Jon Bernthal absolutely owns the role, his presence in S2 of DD is just taste of what to expect. He's actually quite De Niro in parts.

Abadacus and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm glad the weather is now cold and the sun sets much earlier at this time of the year, as it makes me feel less guilty about binge watching.

As soon as I got to work this morning, the countdown has begun to get back home and starting watching The Punisher.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Netflix Marvel has lost its binge watch certificate as far as I'm concerned, but I hope to catch the first episode this weekend.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    First episode was a chore to get through. This coming from a huge fan of Bernthal and an even bigger one of the Punisher in DDS2.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Bernthal is fantastic in nearly everything I've seen him do. He's a triple threat: a great actor, extremely bright, and genuinely athletic. Personally, I think he far outclassed Andrew Lincoln as an actor in Walking Dead. He made the tedious The Accountant a bit less of, as you wrote, "a chore" to get through. He knocks it out of the park in Baby Driver. I liked his Punisher character in the otherwise terrible season 2 of Daredevil.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Watched the first 3 so far, started a bit slow but picks up in the 2nd episode. Bernthal continues to be absolutely perfect for this role.

11. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Just saw the third episode too, easily the bloodiest of the Marvel shows to date. The only thing that surprises me is that they didn't give Frank a cameo in The Defenders as a setup to the show.

12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I watched the first two episodes. The tone is so relentlessly unpleasant and bleak. Injustice as a time looping tragedy that always returns Frank to the same place. It's like a mental Groundhog Day comprising nothing but violence and despair. You'd think this would be right up my alley, but it's surprisingly oppressive. "All You Need is Kill" without any hint of hope. It's almost revelatory in a way. I'm so used to filmed entertainment that makes light of monstrous death tolls. Here every death makes the clinical depression a little bit more acute.

13. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'm on Episode 11, but this is my favourite of the Marvel shows so far. As a fan of the Punisher comics (because of Ennis mostly) I had high hopes for this and it really has matched them. Jon Bernthal is fantastic. I don't quite get the complaints about the length, I would very much like a second season.

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Halfway through and I'd like to see more Punishment, tbh

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree w/Ender. I'm at ep5, and I like it - it's definitely miles ahead of Marvel's recent offerings, but it's not up to the expectations I had. Definitely not those first two episodes.

16. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Re-Supply was pretty dull apart from the last fifteen minutes.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Binged the entire first season of The Punisher over the weekend and I wish episode 12 and 13 were combined to make a more solid ending. The season finale was dragged out with quite a few slow motion sequences and filler material.

I had hoped the season would have been divided into two distinct story arcs; much like Daredevil season 2 with the first part dealing with Frank Castle and the second with Elektra. The first part of The Punisher could have been Wilson Fisk calling in Frank for a debt owed in helping him escape prison and the second part on the overall plot of season one.

Overall, I enjoyed The Punisher. It didn't feel like a grind like Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm up to Episode 9, and the only quibble I have so far (enjoying it a lot) is:

Micro and Punisher work so well together that it reminds me of the old Punisher/War Zone/War Journal runs I used to read. Microchip, the black van, it's just all there. But having Frank burn the skull vest in the first episode means we're just going through pointless black clothing scenes to get back, I assume, to the skull. It's like they're arbitrarily repeated Daredevil Season 1, which worked because it was the first of its kind, and because the payoff of the suit was worth the wait.

I mean, Frank is punishing the guilty. The skull should be on display.

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Up to episode 3 and so far I've thought it's been good.

20. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The only potential problem with The Punisher having a second season and a subsequent one after that, is if the showrunners make every season Frank Castle's last mission, or about killing the people responsible for his family's death.

Although, the finale of season one strongly suggests a foe seeking revenge will be the focal point of season two.

22. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Up to the final episode, might see it tonight.

The latest episode I saw was possibly the bloodiest in the Marvel Netflix canon.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I still feel after this... the series is a missed opportunity. Not to make a statement about gun violence, Christ no. Daredevil S2 gave us the backstory, so making sure the backstory had a backstory felt redundant. Frank is the Punisher. It's his obsession. Don't look to the worst superhero film of the last 10 years - the Dark Knight Rises - and go "obsessive qualities are things that can be overcome and put aside on a whim". And don't try and make him more of a person, more likeable. Show us one mafia family and Frank just cutting through them piece by piece, gathering intel and striking, until the final one is dead. And if that ends up being a legless, armless, hairless Ma Gnucchi and she ends up being kicked into a polar bear enclosure...well, that's alright.

24. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Finally finished this last night. Easily the best since Jessica Jones.

My ranking;

1. Daredevil

2. Jessica Jones

3. PUNISHER

4. Iron Fist

5. Luke Cage

Hopefully they cool it on introducing new shows and just build the universe with the current characters. There's plenty for now.

25. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Duplicate post.