main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's The Punisher

Discussion in 'Community' started by DebonaireNerd, Apr 29, 2016.

1. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I like it, but boy it sure has some serious brutal, gory, graphic scenes.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I was a little late getting off the mark, but I finally watched this, and it’s great!

It’s a real return to form, and in many ways better than the previous high mark of DDS1, and it’s no coincidence that the good half of DDS2 involved Frank.

It’s a great turnaround after IF and The Defenders.

And I am looking forward to The Revenge of Billy Mangle Face.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Finished the first 5 episodes and they've been a chore to get through. I thought Iron Fist was slow...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I think most of the Netflix Marvel shows would be better served if their seasons were only eight episodes long. It's been awhile since I've seen The Punisher, but the season does get better.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Just watched it over the past week. I've never seen any other Marvel shows but enjoyed this one.

Certainly the pacing could have been better, seemed like a real slow burn.

I never expected to see the villains go down quite so....graphically.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Finished this a few days ago, not really built for binge-watching cuz it's really dark. I think the closest the show gets to a joke is when Frank says his beard makes him look like a hipster or when Mirco had a really nice sandwhich in the van while Frank was having canned rations. (Also they may not call him Mirco as far as I can remember or it's the Battle Van but that's definitely Mirco and they have a Battle Van).

[​IMG]

Mirco's family subplot had heart but it was... pretty long. But paid off in the end. The agent sleeping with Billy Russo, and the reveal of how nasty Russo was and their confrontation (and when Russo takes out her partner!) definitely worked.

Did anyone notice with all the violence, there's still no f-bombs? like eyes getting gouged out but nobody can say the F-word. Well, I kinda take it back, I thought I heard Mirco say one under his breath and I even turned on the subtitles for that bit and he definitely did but seems more like an improv that slipped through than being scripted.

Mild continuity gripe: at the start of the season, everyone thinks Frank Castle is dead but he did have a very public trial with Karen, Matt and Foggy. Did Kingpin make it look like Frank died in the Prison Riot? I think it was that but I clearly forgot. Anyway, moot point by the end of the season but the whole 1st half "Frank Castle is alive?!" moments always bumped up against me thinking "Yeah, he was on TV!"

Anyway, cool progression to the show with some standout moments, the Karen Pagie in the hotel was a highlight for me and the final moment when Billy Russo meets his Jigsaw destiny is very messy. But it's mostly about loss and dealing with it. I don't think Frank really changes over the course of the show but that's okay, he is what he is, it's more about him realizing it. But they eventually get to the dark core of Frank Castle in a dream / death's door moment when he's being beaten and his wife appears to him and tells him to come home and he says "I'm already home." and then returns to the land of the living to do unholy violence. He is broken at his core, sadly, and would even turn away from eternal happiness with his family to punish. Dark moment but really great.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm still only a few episodes into the first season (hoping to catch up on that and JJ S2 before LC S2 hits), but wort h noting that Punisher S2 has started filming.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Micro. Micro. Micro. MICRO.

It's short for "Microchip".

Ender Sai and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I just saw Mirco and I'm not surprised he ****ed it up.

@Diggy

Diggy likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yeah I know, mistyped it as Mirco. Oh well.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Jumping back into this to start catching up on the NF MCU shows. Been a bit of a gap since I watched the first 4 episodes but starting out with the opening to the 5th reminds me of one unique things I really enjoy so far: the main two characters (Frank and Micro) just ****ing hate each other [face_laugh].

EDIT- And the sound work with the woodpeckers in the distance during the shootout/hunt towards the end is a pretty subtle, but brilliant, addition.

EDIT 2- Well, that was a really strong season. Rivals JJ S1 for the best of the NF MCU shows. I liked the misdirection in who
    would become Jigsaw
    so at first that seemed like an unnecessary side tangent or waste of a known character but it ultimately paid off.

Probably the only real weak point was at that same part of the season where they randomly try to address 2nd amendment topics but don't do so with the same level of complexity they tackle the other subjects throughout the season. I can see why that, combined with the overall gun violence, had them delay the debut last year after real world events.

And man, speaking of the gun violence, how many bullets did Frank sponge up in this season? [face_laugh]

Oh, another oddity was the random insertion of Medani into the final showdown for seemingly little to no reason or function.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Closest thing to a joke in the entire Season 1. But pretty darn funny

I know I'm only 3 eps into Daredevil Season 3 but where's Punisher Season 2 release date dangit!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The anticipation of season two of The Punisher is probably at the same level for season two of Iron Fist. I think most people forget that there was a season one of The Punisher.

The problem with the first season of The Punisher is that they tried to recreate his origin story, rather than just pick up where he left off from season two of Daredevil. Season one could have been about punishing people like John Wick, it would have been so much better. Probably should have given Frank Castle a dog and have someone kill it. Instead, they decided to have Castle end his time at the Punisher and dig into his past.

I mean, imagine season one of The Punisher occurred between the ending of season two of Daredevil and this opening scene of first episode of The Punisher.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Karen Page was in Punisher S1, spinning off from his introduction in Daredevil, and in Daredevil season 3, only about 4 eps in, but while she hasn't mentioned Frank Castle yet there is a scene where she's waving around a firearm to get some punk crooks out of her face. Now, in the context of the episode, it's ostensibly about that she's mad at Matt Murdock and taking it out on crooks but the way I sees it, her being gun handy and smack talking punks into running away seemed very much like an offshoot of her time with Frank Castle.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    THE PUNISHER SEASON 2 PREMIERING ON NETFLIX IN JANUARY
    Which means it will be cancelled before February.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    PimpBacca and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, apparently The Punisher's nature of not being part of the original Netflix deal means there is a possibility it might not be subject to the same restrictions as the other shows and could, potentially, be continued elsewhere without any mandatory downtime.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Cool. That means Frank can be in Spider-Man: Homeward Bound.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Great, now I'm craving Spider-Man: Homeward Bound, with Peter thinking he's going crazy as he can now hear cats and dogs talk.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Over under days on Punisher being cancelled after it hits. I'm putting the line at 40 days and taking the under on that.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    OKay, I’m taking a million days, and the under that, and also -30 days and the over on that.

21. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Loved season 1 (still patiently waiting for the BluRey release in the uk)
    Looking forward to season 2 hopefully it won’t get cancelled after.

nilzo antonio likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Ironic that this is about burning a contract...

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I believe I saw on Twitter that Season 2 will be out January 18th.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So will Karen still be a globe reporter in S2 Punisher or be freelancing? She didn't seem to be in the Globe's good graces at the end of Daredevil S3 and they proposed a new firm with her on it as a lead investigator. ("More stable than Jessica Jones!" Matt said)