main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary Maryland Fan Force's New Govt. Now to Nominate/Volunteer Officers...

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by MuttandSolo, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Well at this Saturday's meeting we formally agreed upon a structure of government for our Fan Force.

I made a couple of additions, namely I added two Senatorial positions we should have. I will post the outline that I handed out in my next post.

One being the Non-Star Wars Movie Events/News, seeing as 2003 is going to be another big year for movies.

The other one was made so that Danny (Son of M.M) could have a position, the Lord of Useless Middle Earth Trivia Senator, since it was made apparent at the meeting that Danny knows more about M.E. than the rest of us, including his Mom. Of course the position will be vacated if M.M. begins calling Danny her "Precioussss". :D Actually that was a joke, unless people really want that position.

2. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Sorry for the formatting, it was in Outline format in Word, but gets lost when copied into the message.

I) GOVERNMENT STRUCTURE

A) Two Forms of Executive Council-W will vote/agree on one

1)Council-Three Presidential Figures, in addition to other positions
    (a)President 1
    (i)Presides over all meetings
    (ii)One of three members of ruling council
    (iii)Participates in all decision-making that affects the Fan Force
    (iv)Equal in power to other 2 members
    (v)Seek opportunities to get positive press on the chapter.

(b)President 2
    (iv)Equal in power to other 2 member

(c)President 3
    (iv)Equal in power to other 2 member

(d)Secretary/Treasurer
    (i)Handles meetings if Presidents are not present
    (ii)Responsible for recording attendance
    (iii)Alerting Chapter to new members
    (iv)Acting as main point of contact for all new members
    (v)Reports ?minutes? of meetings

2)Combined Government- All three positions are equal in powers
    (a)President
    (ii)Participates in all decision-making that affects the Fan Force
    (iii)Equal in Power to Vice President and Secretary
    (iv)Liaison in Public Affairs matters
    (v)Plan and organize convention trips and appearances
    (vi)Alert chapter members to upcoming events that may or may not be official chapter activities, but may be of interest to the group.
    (vii)Act as main point of contact for conventions/public appearances
    (viii)Share responsibility for new members with Webmaster
    (ix)Act as Press contact for Convention/Misc. appearances events to newspapers, new stations, magazines, etc.
    (x)Collect press about these events and post on forum
    (xi)Seek opportunities to get positive press on the chapter.

(b)Vice President
    (i)Handles meetings when President is unavailable
    (iii)Equal in Power to President and Secretary
    (iv)Serve as Charity Liaison
    (v)Research charities
    (vi)Organize chapter participation in charity events
    (vii)Act as main point of contact for charities
    (viii)Disseminate information to chapter regarding charity events, logistics, etc through forums
    (ix)Act as Press contact for Charity events and appearances to newspapers, new stations, magazines, etc.
    (x)Collect press about these events and post on forum
    (xi)Seek opportunities to get positive press on the chapter

(c)Secretary/Treasurer
    (i)Handles meetings if President and VP are not present
    (iii)Equal in Power to President and Vice President
    (iv)Responsible for recording attendance
    (v)Alerting Chapter to new members
    (vi)Acting as main point of

3. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Now that you've had time to read it, here is what it all means:

For the meantime, we are goinmg with Option #2, the Combined Government. What this means is that We have a President, Vice-President, and Secretry/Treasurer. These three consist of the council and will make all decisions concerning the Fan Force in unison.

We didn't discuss term limits, but my suggestion is to have 1-year terms, and then those officers will step down and become senators(or not at all) for one term before they can be eligible for an executive office. This way everyone gets a chance at being an officer. But lets not belittle the Senators as they have lots of work to do as well.

As far as member status, Everyone here and now will be granted "Knight" status, the Executive Officers will be considered "Masters". Tentatively speaking, everyone who has been to any meetings and wants to continue to be associated with MDFF must announce it here before Feb. 28th and will be considered "Knights. After that new members will be considered Padawans.

As far as nominations/volunteering of officers, it has been suggested at the meeting Saturday that we just ask for volunteers given our small group of late.

If you have any questions, please post them and I will try to answer them as soon as possible.

4. mloradites

mloradites Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2001
    uhm, the only ? i have is where is the CR in this structure? i don't see that position listed anywhere. otherwise it sounds pretty good

5. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Wow, its been a Wookie's age since we last saw you on these boards, MLoradites! Yes, I seem to have overlooked that minor detail.

So for now, since Mogook is our CR, what ever position he elects to take will be assigned the CR position. The other possibility is to let Mogook retain the CR position as long as he's willing. I will leave that up to you (MDFF) to decide.

Oh and one important note I have forgotten to mention. I have decided I am not going to take an officer position this term. I am going to hang back and help get this new government underway, and let someone else take the helm of our great Fan Force.

6. mloradites

mloradites Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2001
    yeah it's been a while, and seeing as my mom wouldn't let me go that far from home myself, the only thing i can do much of is some lurking, hopefully this summer things might get better, i'll be out of high school and 18 as o july 1, we shall see. otherwise i would have been glad to go, but mom is god around here so....
    but yeah ok, that makes some sense, i'm just thinking that the CR should either be pres or vice-pres, but that's my opinion, y'all are the ones who can go to the meetings and you should decide!

7. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Maybe we should have at least two President type roles. That way, I (the CR) could hold one of them, and somebody else the other. I think this is fair to other people. This way, another person has the chance to have a high position without being CR. And, I still get to retain CR and have some power in the fanforce. But it isn't fair to other people if I'm automatically Pres. because I'm CR. So, technically, we can say there's only one opening for President, but he/she and I will share the duties/title of that role.

8. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Well Moggok, I'd almost agree if it didn't create the even-number stalemate dilemma. Since we decided on a Pres., VP, and Secretary, all sharing equally the executive roles, a fourth would complicate the situation. Our only recourse would be to adopt the 3-President Council to retain the majority-rule scenario.

9. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    I think the 3-Pres. system would work fine. That way, I can hold a Pres. role as CR and this still allows for two other people to hold the same title.

Then, if needed, we can have a Secretary/Treasurer role. This role can be in charge of taking minutes at the meetings.

These are just ideas I'm throwing out. Discuss. :)

10. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Well, I don't care to vie for any of the executive positions, but I would like to have the gaming senator spot and would love to give you guys all the latest and greatest that Lucasarts as well as other gaming outlets have to offer. If not that one then maybe the EU senator, but I think Isbeth or son of Mon Mothma would be best suited for that position.

11. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Son of M.M. is sitting on the Useless Middle Earth Trivia Senate seat. :D

12. kasjedi

kasjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2002
    Good grief folks....

Three presidents and a secretary? Ridiculous....

How about a three person council, all with equal power, who can divide the duties among themselves and write the minutes/track membership. Maybe those three can see how it goes and if we need to have job descriptions for the three positions. We can just call it our executive council and skip "titles." For now, we can assume Mogook wants a position on our council and that's great since he is city rep. If in the future if Mogook isn't able or willing to serve on the council, we can deal with the "council" vs. "city rep" problem then.

kasjedi

13. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    I like the 3-Person council. And I like kasjedi's idea of not giving each member in there a seperate title. We can just say that they're a member of the Maryland Fanforce Council, or some other synonymous title.

14. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Could we please make up our minds what we want? I thought we had already agreed upon our structure and now the last 2 days its been shot down.

Sorry, I had to scream. I put a lot of work into this so far and thought everyone was pleased with what I came up with for our Fan Force.

15. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Well, kasjedi's idea is like your idea except the three people in the Council won't have seperate titles.

16. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I would like to retain my "Mistress of Hospitality" title if that is possible. If you like I can combine it with some other title, but I would like to retain it if at all possible. Many thanks.

17. mon-mothma

mon-mothma Jedi Master star 2

Mar 7, 2002
    I volunteer to be the Secretary/Treasurer. One of the hats I wear at work is Executive Secretary for a senior-level, Agency-wide IT Council. In that capacity I am required to take minutes for each meeting and I'm told I do a great job. So, I'd be willing to volunteer that expertise for our Fanforce.

M.M.

18. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Okay Mogook,

Since I worked it out that Officers would be considered Jedi Masters, how about if we just name the 3 Presidents, Master Jedi's???

19. DRK_HLMT

Dec 7, 2001
    This might help Mutt. In the NJO books they have created a new Jedi Council. This council consists of the Chancellor, a few senators as well as Jedi Knights. This keeps a sort of "checks and balances" to the council so that no one can say that the Jedi are making all of the councils decisions. Non Jedi have a voice in what the Jedi council does.

Going by this we could have Mogook as the Chancellor position. He can approve or veto any decision that the other two council members propose. If veto'd The proposal then will go to the senators who then vote on whether they want that proposal to go through or not. If the senators carry the majority, the proposal is passed. That way no one person is making decisions.

So we have three on the council and the senators and members who are the voting majority when there are any conflicts in any proposal made by the council.

Wadda ya think?

20. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    DRK_HLMT, I think the 3-President council should all have equal power. So, there won't be any titles within the group. I won't be a Chancellor, I'll just be a member of the Council along with two other people.

21. DRK_HLMT

Dec 7, 2001
    Well Mogook, we need at least one person to make a final decision or else we will be in a position of people making proposals and the three council members bouncing it around and no one making a final decision on anything. I hate to say it but we seem to always come up with some great ideas but no on steps up to say "Okay, let's just do it." If we are to go with the three person council, it should be were you have one member of the council who presents the pros of an idea, the other to weigh in the cons and the presiding member to make the final decision.

It would make things a whole lot easier if we did things this way. That way everyone has their voice in an idea and we have someone to make it happen. Pretty simple if we can go along with it.

22. Takwolf

Takwolf Jedi Master star 2

May 9, 2002
    I agree that we need one person to make final decisions.
    Remember Chancellor Valorum's leadership

Tak

23. gh0stdevil

gh0stdevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    Jeeze, I saw more order in the dang hanging-chad recount down in Florida. Pfft. Listen...

A) Too many cooks spoil the soup.
    B) Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians.

Just please think about those two statements while you make decisions. Also, I would have hoped we'd all get a chance to VOTE on these things, not just a "Well, we could do this..." and then if Mogook agrees, we have to have it as our system of order. =/

Chris

24. DRK_HLMT

Dec 7, 2001
    gh0stdevil: "Just please think about those two statements while you make decisions. Also, I would have hoped we'd all get a chance to VOTE on these things, not just a "Well, we could do this..." and then if Mogook agrees, we have to have it as our system of order. =/"

I agree gh0st. Too many people making decisions do lead to calamity. But if we go along with this three person council thing, us members will have a say in what the group does and doesn't do. The council is just the final step in either approving our proposals or shooting them down. And if it is shot down by the council, then the members vote on whether they want to do it or not and the majority rules. So either way every one has a vote. It doesn't give full decision making to just the three on the council. They are just there to make the decisions that we the members come up with and make them happen.

25. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    The way I see it, every member has a right to bring up an idea or concern. And I agree that the council's primary job is to make a final decision. That's why Mutt and others pushed so hard to make the number of council members odd; there's always a majority.

And the council only wants to do what's best for the fanforce and the members in it. So, I don't see a circumstance where a member proposes something and a lot of other members agree, but then the council shoots it down. The council's decision will mostly be based on how the other members feel about it.

If a member has a strong disagreement to an idea, they can express it here, in a meeting, or even in a PM to all the members of the council.

Lastly, the future structure of this group will be put up to a vote. Already, many members have come in here expressing what they like and what they don't like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.