main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary Maryland Fanfilm back on track...an update (and a shameless beg for help)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by HowardFilms, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon_Goodfellow

Jon_Goodfellow Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2006
    Did you all want to at least try to set up a meeting this weekend?

Go n-ithe an cat thú, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

2. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    I too am in Carroll County but don't have a garage.

3. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    geez...not good...

4. WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT

WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT Jedi Master star 3

Feb 4, 2006
    If we got together and talked this out amongst each other maybe we could have a better plan. I'm up for a meeting this weekend.

5. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    I have a garage but I live in Anne Arundel County. If people are willing, it's useable.

6. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    I sent an email to random sabers asking how long it takes them to make sabers. I never expected the lightsabers to give us so much trouble. Either it's going to take time, or money, which will take me time to work for. delay, delay, delay. Not to mention the fact I really need this first installment done by November 30th, (for film school admissions - first round) and that date is beginning to look unreachable...leaving to a very stressed out filmmaker over here...

7. Jon_Goodfellow

Mar 2, 2006
    I'm sure there's a way we can throw together something workable by that deadline. Maybe we can look at randomsabres as a guide and see if we can put some equipment together ourselves.

8. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    Actually the film has to be done by then. I need the sabers ASAP. I don't mind using BYB as a guide, but I don't have the skill or equipment to make them...

9. Jon_Goodfellow

Mar 2, 2006
    I know. I worded that poorly. Sorry if I already asked this before, but do you need working LED sabres, or just stunt ones to rotoscope later? If the latter is the case, I can help you with building something quick and dirty. I don't exactly have access to a lathe or anything, but there are other ways. :p

10. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    just stunt ones. Tell you what, it would really take a load off if you could do do versions of one really generic/can be crappy saber. It gets destroyed 10 minutes into the film, so it can be very bland. I do, however, need one that is in good condition and one that is destroyed, because I will only be able to shoot in teh cave once. Would you be able to do that?

11. Jon_Goodfellow

Mar 2, 2006
    I'll see what I can do. :)

12. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    'ppriciate it man

13. WuLongTi

WuLongTi Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    I spoke with my wife and she's cool with offering up our space to work on these this weekend. I'm thinking Sat. Morning till whenever, so long as someone else is willing to get pizza or something, and someone else can get drinks. I have a rotery tool along with several other tools, but if others would like to bring tools as well that would be great. Then we could get a little assembly line action going. I also have both a home depot and a lowes within a 5 min. drive of my house should we need to run out and get more supplies.

Additionally I've made a few lightsabers already but I gave them away as wedding presents. I figure that with help we could knock out 5 or 6 hilts provided that folks come ready and able to work.

Those interested let me know by AIM or YAHOO: WuLongTi (it's on my phone so it's always on, even if I dont respond right away)

Copy and paste the link (the full link, dont be tricked into just clicking the red part) below for your directions needs.
    I'd like to get started around 9:30 or 10AM so let me know folks!
    Oh and I am the afformentioned Choreographer (Christian)

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=38.962557~-76.733506&style=r&lvl=15&scene=1042962&rtp=null~null&sp=aN.qgtch18m4zmb_12610%2520Killian%2520Ln%252c%2520Bowie%252c%2520MD%252020715-2651%252c%2520United%2520States___

14. Jon_Goodfellow

Mar 2, 2006
    Unfortunately, I work this Saturday. I could do it Sunday if that's okay. :)

15. WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT

Feb 4, 2006
    I too have a committment on Sat morning but would be willing to come on Sunday, if that works.

16. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    Actually Christain, apparently I have to go to my Uncle's 40th b-day party on Sat, up in Philly. Sunday is feasable for me though, too.

17. Fipe_Naz-mero

Fipe_Naz-mero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    Let's see if this helps...

I have one lightsaber from the build your own kit. I have a double lightsaber from Darth Maul (the plastic one). I have a plastic handle which I converted into a lightsaber by painting it with details. And I think I can have another one just like that.

Would this help or you need metal/almost exact replicas?

Naz-Mero, JM
    USA-NE REGION
    MDFF
    SOUTHERN MD CHAPTER

18. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    doubtful, but thanks for the thought Fipe

19. WuLongTi

WuLongTi Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    Wow, how can I argue with that response, I guess sunday it is. I should be done with church and the gym by noon so any time after that. We'll say noon for the parts hunting and shopping and then 1:30 for folks that are just coming for fabrication and assembly.

Aim me with whose coming and what your bringing. Be it tools, snacks, drinks, or meals. Even if I don't respond I'll still get the message.

20. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    I should be able to be there around then, after church and all...

21. WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT

Feb 4, 2006
    Count me for around the same time and I'll get the food.

22. WuLongTi

WuLongTi Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    Oh, and for those that think they may need extra help in finding my place or simply would like to chat, hit me up on AIM and I'll give you my cell number.

23. WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT

Feb 4, 2006
    Ok, so I took another look at the parts list and may have some of these items around the house. I will look and bring what I can. Also, I wonder if WuLongTi will have a computer handy for picture references?

24. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    Yeah, Wulongti, how much money should I bring? I have a fifty with me right now, I may be able to cash a check if you think I'll need a lot more.

25. WuLongTi

WuLongTi Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    First question: will there be a puter? Yes, there is the house one with a cable connection, and then I also have internet on my sidekick. In fact I'm posting this very minute using said phone/mobile device. Handy for pulling up BYB when shopping.

Second, the matter of cost: how many hilts do you plan on getting built? It will very depending on the parts used of course, but depending on how much work you want to do vs how much detail goes into the hilt, I'd say your looking at $15-35 per. I've been researching parts the last few days and I've come up with a design that will only require a drill, very little skill to build and some very nice results. Total cost for parts will run about $30 each plus tax. I'll have a prototype one finished up tommorrow. Also, this does not include the cost of the blade. Of course given that this is to be rotoscoped, is there a reason that a $2 dowel won't work? I'll take some pics once I finish it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.