Maryland Fanfilm back on track...an update (and a shameless beg for help)

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by HowardFilms, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HowardFilms Jedi Master

star 4
    dowels are heavy, we can get better blades. I can take care of that, we just need to make sure the hilts can hold a 3/4" blade.

I guess I'll bring more money, lol. We need four sabers and three different styles. Two styles can be very generic, one needs to look ancient, as it is from the Sith War (1000 years before Yavin)
  2. WuLongTi Jedi Padawan

ok, finished that prototype I told you about. It doesnt have a D-ring or belt clip yet but so far it's been pretty tooless. I've used a pocket knife to cut the open cell foam used to stabilize the dowel and provide shock absorbtion, and a screw driver for the bolt that locks the dowel in place. Other than that I've used no tools at all and total build time was about 15 minutes. Total cost was $32 at Lowes.

I may drill a hole near the pummel to mount the D-ring or use a cell phone belt clip kit. We're talking like an extra $1-2 and 5 mins of work.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/wulongti/IMG_0111.jpg]
  3. WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT Jedi Master

star 3
    That looks pretty good. HowardFilms put up a link to a website of several styles of light sabers. I printed some of the material and will bring that. I'm looking forward to making one of these.
  4. HowardFilms Jedi Master

star 4
    Cool, Christian, I like it!

Now, who exactly is going to be there tommorrow, and do you all know where you are going?
  5. WuLongTi Jedi Padawan

I'll be there, and I know where I'm going ^__^

Oh, just so you all know it ends up I have to pick up my mom's car from BWI at 3:30 tomorrow so I'll forgo my workout to allow people to come earlier. Is 10AM doable? I figure that's enough time to come up with the designs we want, shop for the parts and get stuff prepped, then break for lunch and get started on production.

I'll slip out to get me mum's car while folks work on props and such. When I get back we can finish up the sabers and if the actors with fight scenes are present we can start developing some fighting skills and I can get an idea of how to choreograph them.

Sound Good? I'm also available during this week for those interested in swordfighting lessons.
  6. WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT Jedi Master

star 3
    I called Jon_Goodfellow today and gave him directions to your house. He will probably come around noonish. I will be there around the same time. I have a goody bag of things I found around the house. It looks like there will be 4 of us.
  7. HowardFilms Jedi Master

star 4
    5, including my father.

See y'all tommorrow folks!
  8. HowardFilms Jedi Master

star 4
    Bad news and great news.

I hate to do this, but a small family emergencey sparked up. Don't worry, everyone is fine, but there's just no way I can make it to Bowie today.

The better news is that now it looks like we have an investment into this film (my parents felt pretty bad) that we can buy the remaining lightsabers at no real cost to the production.

HOWEVER, it doesn't really make sense to have them pay $100 for a saber only in the first 10 minutes of the first of three films, so if you guys are still game for a little construction, what you could do is seeign as we already have that one hilt, if you could construct a "destroyed by lightsaber" version of the hilt, that would be very good, seeing as I can't just buy one of the expensive sabers and chop it in half! Then, if you wanted to do another, I could use a different style, but still generic hilt for the female Jedi that Becca (PrincessLeia911) is playing. If you do decide to make these, just keep track of costs so I can reimburse you.

On the other hand if you want to drop me, for doing this to you and not help whatsoever in the fan film, I completely understand. I feel awful. Here you all are, offering to volunteer for my project, and I can't make it.

I wish you all the best. For any still interested, once the sabers are complete, in a couple weeks, we will have a big meeting at the production studio in Westminster. We will go over the scripts, check costumes and props, and I'll give you a tour of the facilities. More info will be provided as I get it.
  9. WuLongTi Jedi Padawan

Ok if that's the case and all you need are 3 or 4 sabers total then I suppose that I can work on them myself. I'll need to be reimbursed for the materials of course, but I already have plenty of design ideas for the different blades. Expecially the ancient one. Big ideas for that one.

So for the rest of you that wanted to come over, you are still welcome to do so. We can still have a saber making party if you wanted to come over and make sabers for yourselves. But as far as the films props are concerned I think I can handle the rest of the sabers myself. I had originally thought that we would be needing ALOT more. Like around 10 or so.

I'm going to be away from the computer so if you are still planning on coming then PLEASE hit me up on AIM. It's on my phone so I'll get it. As of right now I will assume that if you do not contact me that you are not coming.
  10. WuLongTi Jedi Padawan

Just for kicks, here's pics of the second saber I finished. Again a quick and dirty design. This one is of the 'great sword' variety like the Japanese Nodachi or a scottish Claymore.

This first pick is just for scale next to the first one.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/wulongti/IMG_0117.jpg]

And here is a closer image of the hilt it's self. John said it should work for Bria's character...

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/wulongti/IMG_0118.jpg]
  11. HowardFilms Jedi Master

star 4
    Very cool. That should work well.
  12. WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT Jedi Master

star 3
    What is the blue part made of? By the way, I started making mine and got stuck. I need to do some drilling and cutting and don't have the proper tools.
  13. HowardFilms Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, we're not going to have a saber building thing again, unfortunately, as I am ordering the last two we need. Good luck with your sabers, hopefully someone can help you out, I'm pretty useless in that regard, that's why I went to WuLongTi.
  14. WuLongTi Jedi Padawan

Tammy, the blue part is pool tube. it fits the 1.25 pipes, but not the larger 1.5 pipe.

If you want to come by in the morning sometime this week, you are welcome to pick my brain or use my tools. But it would have to be in the AM and on a weekday.

and John, I'm working on the ancient one anyway, even if you dont use it I think the idea is too great to let it go. I suppose this one will just be mine if you opt to not use it.
  15. HowardFilms Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, let's reserve judgment on seeing how it comes out. Just remember not to neglect Jovat's destroyed saber, the one, you know, I actually need you for ;)
  16. WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT Jedi Master

star 3
    Don't think I'll be able to come in the AM. I may just ask my neighbor for assistance.
  17. WuLongTi Jedi Padawan

OK Howard, the chopped saber is finished. Still working on the ancient one, I'll post pics when I get further along with it. I'm thinking of making it into an UltraSaber if I can free up the cash. Though at this point it may have to be the acrylic blade like your planning for all the others.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/wulongti/c96df2f0.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/wulongti/IMG_0121.jpg]
  18. HowardFilms Jedi Master

star 4
    What's with the second picture?

Anyway, nice work looking at the first one, can the intact saber hold the 3/4" acryllic blade?
    Aim for ALL the sabers to hold those blades, it makes it much easier for our rotoscopers, thanks.

Meanwhile, we can start planning the date for the first meeting, and shoot dates afterwards, but it must be after next Friday, when we will get official approval.

In the meantime, I will be away for a few days, but will have my laptop, and will try to check in from time to time.
  19. WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey Christian, these look incredible!! You do have a talent. I look forward to seeing the ancient one.
  20. WuLongTi Jedi Padawan

Sorry about that second picture, we're having some computer issues and the second pic didn't upload properly. Its a shot of the damaged parts facing the camera so you can see inside.

Progress report: 3/4" rods in the damaged saber; sorry right now it can't but I might be able to work something if you really need me to.
    The ancient saber; coming along quite nicely if I do say so myself. I'm about finished with the etchings and light grooves on the outer brass tube and will be installing the fiber optics next. It also has a chrome inner tube that I just have to sand some sharp edges and punch holes for the electronics and switches. The pummel is stock right now, and needs some love. Whew! So that's all that's left.. Haha. Ok, I'll post some progress pics once we get the big puter back up and running.
  21. WuLongTi Jedi Padawan

hey guys, the second pic has been fixed for your viewing pleasure. Also I snapped a few quick shots of the ancient saber I'm working on. It still needs some finishing touches, grips and the pummel still need work but at this point it is duel-with-able.

hope you like what I have so far. I was going for an ancient mystical artifact type of look.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/wulongti/IMG_0123.jpg]
    the side facing wielder

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/wulongti/IMG_0122.jpg]
    the side

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/wulongti/IMG_0124.jpg]
    the side facing away from wielder

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/wulongti/IMG_0125.jpg]
    detail of the away side

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/wulongti/IMG_0126.jpg]
    detail of the near side

22. princessleia911 Jedi Master

star 4
    WOW, those look awesome!!!!!=D=
  23. HowardFilms Jedi Master

star 4
    Agreed. How is the rest of it coming?
  24. princessleia911 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, any ETA on our pre-production meeting? Are we just waiting for the sabers?
  25. HowardFilms Jedi Master

star 4
    We're waiting for confirmation from CMC that the project was officially approved. I should have it by tommorrow.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.