main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mas Amedda: Agent of evil, or a Palpatine flunky?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth_Banal, Jul 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    [image=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itsacatch22/swm/zz_aotc_faq/masamedda.jpg]

This guy is the Vice Chair of the Galactic Senate, and held that position during Valorum's term and on into Palpatine's term.

Does the Vice Chair hold that position permanently? It intrigues me that he was portrayed by Palpatine in TPM as one of "the beaurocrats, the true rulers of the Republic. And on the payroll of the Trade Federation, I might add." This, coupled with Valorum's inaction, served to convince Padme to present the Vote of No Confidence.

Yet, Mas Amedda continues his service during Palpatine's term as Supreme Chancellor in AOTC. I wonder how that sits with Padme. Perhaps Palpatine has convinced her that he has been able to "control the beaurocrats."

In AOTC, after seeing Obi-Wan's transmission, he says: "This is a crisis. The Senate must vote the Chancellor emergency powers. He can then approve the creation of an army." Which seems like what any normal Vice Chair would recommend. But he hints that he's working with Palpatine when he follows his lead and remarks "if only Senator Amidala were here." which IMO is baiting Jar Jar and allowing Palpatine/Sidious to work his mind-trick magic.

So what I want your guys' input on is summed up in my thread title. Is he:

a) Just an unwitting pawn, and succeptible to Sidious' Force abilities.
    b) A power-hungry politician, unaware of Sidious' ultimate plan, but whose own ambition serves Sidious' ends.
    c) Fully aware of Sidious' plan.
    d) Misunderstood because he has an extremely long tongue.

And why do you so answer?

And if you answered b or c, for how long do you think he was part of this scheme by Palpatine? Since the days of TPM?

2. du365

du365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2003
    Since he's not in the OT I'll go with .D.

3. Ko-jah

Ko-jah Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    c
    i bet palpy was by no means not the only senator that knew where the true power lies. the corruption probably ran much deeper where the beurocrats were some kind of mafia, who were trully in control of the senate. so making the "political mafia" believe that they were in control by allowing Mas Amedda to continue to influence palpy - he effectively kept those guys off his back.
    though i bet he did the old mind job on mas amedda a few times - probably made him think every move was better from the beurocrats p.o.v.

4. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I doubt anyone knows all of what Sidious's plans are, but I would imagine that Amedda knows a lot more than most people.

5. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I think Mas Amedda is kind of like Palpatine's barber. Palpatine tells him everything and Mas Amedda simply nods his head and cuts Palpatine's hair.

So, you see. Mas Amedda is not evil. He's just a cosmotologist. Far too often is that mistake made in real life. For shame.

6. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    I'm sure Mas know's nothing about what Palpatine plans to do. Just a guess.

7. darth_shockwave

darth_shockwave Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    Mas Amedda is just another pawn, even dooku doesn't know all of Palpatine's plan

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Something tells me he's popular with the ladies, that's for sure.

9. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I would go with choice B. He most certainly wants power as most people do and probably all of the politicians in the senate but there is no way he is aware of Palpatine's full plans.

10. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    He is a pawn, a puppet if you will, he may believe that he is serving his own agenda but he is just another in the long line of those who are doing Palpatine's bidding.

11. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    Since he's not in the OT I'll go with .D.

True, but we never see the Senate in ANH, all of his functions as Vice Chair are probably eliminated when Palpatine dissolves the Senate, so there's no need to see him.

Or the fact that Lucas probably hadn't created his character yet. 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.