main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Mas Amedda, keeping the Republic bogged down in procedure

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jun 19, 2013.

1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Vaguely recall something like that... forked/black maybe?
    Heck, I could have read that anywhere.:oops:

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Amedda knows full well that Palpatine is a Sith Lord. If not before ROTS, then definitely in the scene where Yoda enters.

Watch it carefully. Mas Amedda is standing next to his master when Yoda enters and knocks out the guards and calls Palpatine Darth Sidious. Palpatine then blasts Yoda with lightning and sends him flying across the room.

It's only after Yoda is on the ground and Palpatine is advancing on him that we see Mas Amedda leaving the room.

Mas heard Palpatine being called Darth Sidious and saw him use Force Lightning to subdue the most powerful Jedi Master in the galaxy. If he didn't know beforehand, he definitely knows that Palpatine is a Sith after that scene.

3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    What do you mean the vote of no confidence had nothing to do with Palpatine? Palpatine engineered the invasion of Naboo, sowed the seeds of doubt in Padme, and directly benefited from the vote by becoming the new Supreme Chancellor.

A believable argument except..the Sith are the group that have been responsible for like every war in galactic history. Did everyone in the Senate skip history class?

4. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Agreed... I'm not submitting that Mas is NOT a manipulator... however it's clear from the movie dialogue that Mas is a veteran politician who measures which way the wind is blowing and then tends to that side. In my opinion, as the crisis on Naboo escalated, he began to see Valorum's power and position fading and decided to start looking for a new partner to work with, and of course we know that Palpatine was orchestrating all of these events behind the scenes (invasion of Naboo, strife with the TF) and latched onto Mas early in those days leading up to the vote of no confidence.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Considering the last Sith War was nearly 1000 years before RoTS- it's quite possible that they don't know exactly what the Sith are.

The Clone Wars: Wild Space, takes the approach that the Jedi have been scrubbing the Sith from history in the hope of ensuring no more Sith will arise.

6. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Yeah I always got the impression that Amedda was corrupt, strongly mind-influenced by Palpatine at least.

On this topic, did anyone notice a change from cinema to dvd of the video message that ends with "He'll be expecting you"? It seemed more sinister sounding before, but if I'm not imagining things, they made it more like just a by-the-books exchange. Thoughts?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    In a 25,000 year old civilization 1000 years is not that long ago. It is certainly long after the discovery and colonization of major Republic world. In terms of history of a civilization that is MORE than the equivalent of us forgetting what Nazis are because WW2 was 60 years ago. "What's a Nazi? Who cares if our Prime Minister/President is a Nazi, they have the right to be."

In order to do so the Jedi would literally need to mind wipe everyone in the galaxy to forget about every galactic war. And since when is pretending something never happened a good way to prevent it happening again? Wouldn't people benefit more from knowing about the Sith so they can be on the lookout?

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Very few inhabitants of the galaxy will have 1000-odd year lifespans though.

Could be that it's a nod to real life examples of "scrubbing a hated ruler from history" - Ancient Egypt, for example, where the names of certain rulers were chiselled off monuments, all records of them removed, and so forth.

9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  10. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I don't think he would have survived much beyond ROTS, certainly not by the time of ANH. His purpose was fulfilled and his knowledge made him a liability. I figure ol' Mas knew he was a goner from his first dealings with the Sith. He's one of those fanatic servants that would realize when his service is no longer required once Palpatine had secured control of the Senate, disbanded it, and established sectorial governors to adminstrate Imperial law. He's the type that would accept and welcome his death to the glory of the Emperor. A martyr to the Sith cause.

I'm aware the EU takes the character in a different direction, but that's the path a character like that ends up in most works of literature and theatre.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  11. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    That's what archives and libraries kinda do, contain information passed down through generations. I don't buy it that people didn't know about the Sith.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    They may have known them only as "Dark Jedi".

Just as Luke and Leia refer to Vader & Palpatine as Dark Jedi in the Thrawn books.

13. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Well put. As the saying goes, "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."