main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Mas Amedda Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JarJarAbrams, Jan 30, 2015.

1. JarJarAbrams

JarJarAbrams Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2015
    This is a character appreciation thread for Mas Amedda, the Jafar of the GFFA, and my favorite sidekick character in SW.

Speaker of the Senate, Vice Chancellor, Grand Vizier of the Empire, Head of the Imperial Ruling Council, etc etc.

I always liked this guy, not just because of his blue face and big horns. He loves being in power, and doesn't give a ***t about right or wrong. From being the right hand of Valorum, he jumps effortlessly to the same position in Palpatine's Empire, like a blue-skinned alien Machiavelli. Gotta respect that. The dude might look like an ass-kisser toady, but he's got serious skills at picking the winning side.

What do you think of the good Vizier? Is he a wise player at the game of thrones, or a shameless ass-kisser? What's his relationship to Palpatine like? How long did he know his boss was a Sith? What's his favorite food?

[​IMG]

MOD EDIT: Considering he only appears in the Prequel Trilogy, this seemed more like a PT forum thread.

Iron_lord and thejeditraitor like this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyone ever notice his eyes are rolled up into the back of his head like he's possessed when Palpy does his "FIRST GALACTIC EMPIRE!" speech? Or izzat just me?

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    MOD Edit: Title edited to remove all caps

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm sure he at least knew that he was working for somebody other than Valorum in TPM. Sidious says that he has the Senate bogged down in procedure and Amedda does just that.

5. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Sidious I believe had Amedda in his pocket. It was Sidious that had Mas Amedda gumming up the works in the senate. As when Valorum has Ammedda whisper into his ear, Valorum then calls for a committee to investigate the allegations. So to me it seems like Mas Ammedda was calling the shots over Valorum. So essentially Valorum was just more or less the puppet. Mas Ammedda was who was keeping the senate bogged down.

darklordoftech and enigmaticjedi like this.
  6. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I like Mas Amedda. His design and personality have always been intriguing to me. In one of the deleted scenes you could see his slithering tongue... a hint that he was a snake and not to be trusted. I like him in TCW too. One of the action figures even came with the tongue accessory, haha.

7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    We don't know a lot about him, but Mas Amedda always interested me.

I always wanted to know what happened to him after ROTS. I assumed he eventually got the boot. Since he was a non human, and few could be found in Empire. Or if Sidious or Pestage killed him. Actually as I've said many times before I was hoping Pestage killed him when they fought to be Palpatine's right hand.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well he is still alive and part of the empire five years before the battle of Gavin so he is still in the empire.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    ^ Really? That's awesome.
    I also love Amedda and would highly enjoy an appearance in the new trilogy. I mean, he's a chagrian, after all. Who knows how old he can get?

Izznot just you ;)
    He is SO into that moment!

darklordoftech and Andy Wylde like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Huh, that's probably a more logical reading of his expression, that's he's reveling in the moment. Generally what pops into my head every time when I see that is Sidious is Jedi Mind tricking him like a puppet, right at this side in front of the whole damn senate, and nobody notices. Just another bit of Palpy's control. Anyway, it's supremely creepy whatever is happening at that moment, and adds tinge of weird darkness to an already dark scene.

darklordoftech and Lulu_Mars like this.
  11. JarJarAbrams

Jan 24, 2015
    Glad to see that the MAS AMEDDA THREAD has picked up. My ensemble darkhorse deserves more love.

My favorite Mas Amedda moments were all in Luceno's Tarkin book, especially when he's bullying Tarkin and making him run errands.

After ROTS, he was the Grand Vizier and boss of the Imperial Ruling Council.

Not sure if this is a step up or down from where Amedda was before? I mean, he used to run the Senate and pull Valorum's strings like a puppet, so that's pretty much the top spot in the galaxy. OTOH, I don't think the Emperor spent all that much time running the Empire day-to-day, so that obviously means Amedda had a lot of power (if not UNLIMITED POWAH).

I dunno when Luceno's book takes place, but it says the Emperor hasnt been seen in public for years and years, and Mas Amedda and Ars Dangor are basically running the Empire for him.

Pfffffft, the penis-hat crew ain't got nothing on Amedda and his beautiful horns

Iron_lord, Lulu_Mars and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. JarJarAbrams

Jan 24, 2015
    Was Amedda the first Darth Wyrlock?

Inquiring minds want to know.

13. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    He is the kinda character that i think is one of the many things that makes star wars interesting. You are right, we don't know much about him, but hes kinda interesting, makes you want to know more :)

Lulu_Mars, darklordoftech and mes520 like this.
  14. JarJarAbrams

Jan 24, 2015
    Emperor Amedda would be awesome. And he's really the best contender left for the throne - the dude is already Grand Vizier and head of the Imperial Ruling Council.

Lulu_Mars and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    ORDER!! This thread shall have ORDER!!!!

:D

16. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    "What's his relationship to Palpatine like?"

The operahouse scene in ROTS offers a definitive answer...

Palpatine: "Anakin...sit down." (To entourage) "Leave us."

They leave.

In essence, Amedda is the Renfield to Palpatine's Dracula. (As opposed to Vader, who would be the Mina/Lucy).

darklordoftech and Iron_lord like this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I love the idea that Palpatine had a Renfield helping out with his schemes.

JarJarAbrams likes this.
  18. JarJarAbrams

Jan 24, 2015
    The robot 114D was his Renfield in the books, right?

I like the idea that Amedda always knew the Chancellor's secret identity. The movies hint at this a bit: he doesn't look surprised at all when Sheev unleashes lightning on Yoda, and he later addresses Sheev as "master" and not "sir" or whatever.

19. JarJarAbrams

Jan 24, 2015
    But seriously, Amedda would be a really great character for a spinoff Star Wars book with a more political-thriller theme. It'd be like House of Cards or Game of Thrones, all about politicking and backstabbing in the deadly Imperial court.

Imagine the possibilities:

- The Imperial top brass all trying to backstab each other and gain favor with the Big Sheev
    - New alliances and rivalries forming all the time in the Imperial court
    - The intra-branch rivarly of the military dudes (Tarkin, Jerjerod, etc) vs. the civilians (Amedda, the funny hat crew)
    - Amedda shutting down the Senate
    - Pestage scheming to replace that bald woman in Palpatine's bed
    - Organa and Mon Mothma waging their sneaky sabotage campaign and trying to set the Imperial brass against each other (things like planting fake evidence, or getting them into trouble with the secret police, etc etc)

darklordoftech and Iron_lord like this.
  20. JarJarAbrams

Jan 24, 2015
    It would obviously have to be set around the same time as Luceno's Tarkin book. One of the cooler things in that book was how Sheev had basically vanished from the public eye and was a shut-in hermit at this point, while Mas Amedda and Ars Dangor were the public faces of the Empire

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    5 years after ROTS, is when it's set.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Amedda: Dangor killed the protestors.
    Dangor: Amedda killed the protestors.

23. JarJarAbrams

Jan 24, 2015
    Lol.

Was the character Ars Dangor from the old EU, or did they invent him for the Tarkin book?

Whoever he is, he seems a pretty important dude - he's mentioned a lot as Amedda's colleague, and definitely has more power than the military brass or the funny hat crew.

24. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Hahahaha that typo was funnier than it should have been lol

25. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Love Mas Amedda and I really love how he was portrayed in the Tarkin novel