main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Mask of Duty - AU - guess what? A POST!!! 12-21-04!! :D

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arldetta, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Oooh, that's an interesting little twist on things. Loved it.

2. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Goodness, that really is a shift from the initial characterization of Garg Klp. Now it seems that his lack of emotion is due to his efforts to master his channeling ability, where a loss of self-control can be disastrous. Still, what works for one person wouldn't work for another. Obi-Wan may have a great deal of control over channeling the Force, but it looks as though his emotional issues are in the process of undermining it.

Intriguing concept, Arldetta - a Channeler may be a powerful Force user, but there seems to be more drawbacks than advantages. Not the least of which is isolationism from one's peers, whether from fear of hurting others or, as I conjecture from Garg's emotional deficiency and demise, along with the Healer's comment about imperfection, hubris.

It will be interesting to see where Qui-Gon fits into all this. Bant apparently doesn't know him all that well, despite his friendship with her Master, if she thinks he's going to pester Obi-Wan simply out of curiosity when he's aware of the boy's problems. And having good reason for doing something doesn't make it right - Obi-Wan seems to have some confusion over ethics as a result of his Master's contradictory behavior to his actions.

Keep it up, Arldetta! You're doing just fine in clearing up matters - and creating new complications! ;)

3. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    Hmm..ok I give you credit my friend..you did answer some questions here...and you have given us another lovely interpitaion (sp?) on how one might use the Force.

I am loving this so far..and I am looking forward to see how Qui-Gon and everyone else falls into this.

Keep up the good work and will look forward to more.

--PT

4. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Very nice little twist. Thank you for supplying the answer before I leave on Saturday.

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Nope, cleared it up for me. The problem is that with that much power, he would be a hazard to himself and other Force users if not properly trained. I would have liked to heard what Obi-Wan said about Master Jinn to the soul healer... LOL. Any way we could get a flashback?

Good job. Keep going....

6. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Great insight! Yep answered me questions ya did! :D :D

As for flashback of what Obi said to the Soul Healer about Jinn, that's a good idea... wonder what he did say about Qui?? Ummmmmm

7. The_Hutt

The_Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2004
    Ooh, awsome post! A lot of questions were answered in that one...I wonder if Obi-Wan used his channeling abilities on Qui-Gon on purpose, or if he did it spontaneously in the heat of the moment...so Qui-Gon left an impression on Obi-Wan, did he? I'd like to hear what that impressions is. My sorrow for Obi-Wan's losses grows as the story continues...Klp and Obi-Wan had a very unique relationship, and Obi-Wan must have felt that he finally felt someone who knew exactly what he was going through and who he is...now he probably feels completely closed off to the world. Ach! Poor kid! Anyways, that was a spiffy long post, kind of like an early Christmas. And sorry about the "lurve" thing, Arldetta! Me and Celine don't really party together, so I'm not exactly sure where I got that one from...

8. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Great job, Arl, and like the others said, an intriguing conception of how the Force might be used or manifest itself in different people. Looking forward to more.

Shaindl

9. RosyRedFinguredDawn

RosyRedFinguredDawn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2003
    I'm in awe, how do you post everyday?

Good job. It was nice to have everything explained. I especially liked your explanations for why Obi acts the way he does. Bant was a nice character to have involved as well. I'm looking forward to more. Thanks.
    ~Rosy

10. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    My apologies, my friends. I only had enough time today to work on FnB. Good news is I have a post for that finally. Bad news is I don't have anything ready for this. *sigh* I was hoping for a double post but alas, fate and work but in. :(

As for posting daily, I used to do daily posts on a number of fics. Then I got burnt out. I haven't done dailies for a LONG time. And only just started again with this. ;) Don't think it will last though. :p As soon as this fic is done I'll be back to weeklys and sporadic. ;)

Anyway, thanks again for the lovely feedback. And I'm sooo glad every found my explaination interesting. Now for that flashback??? :confused: I don't know. Honestly, my muse wrote that line and snuck it in. I have absolutely no clue as to what the two talked about. [face_blush] So we'll have to see if the muse is benevolent enough to provide an answer for all of us!! [face_laugh]

Since I finally got the next post to FnB done, I should be free enough tomorrow to allow my muse hback in for this fic again. Although, it may be mad at me for pushing it aside today. :( Let's hope a good night's rest will give it time to cool down. ;)

ttfn.

~Ari :D

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Well, since your muse stuck it in there, she must want you to do a flashback... LOL. Oh, such angst to be had!

PLLLLEEAAASSSEEE! :D

12. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Wow Arldetta! I was out of town last week and when I got back on the boards it took me a while to catch up on this story. You have been very busy my dear. :D

I love the direction you are going with this story. Obi-Wan's rare abililty is intriguing and it will be interesting to see where you go with this. :)

13. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Flashback would be nice..soon? very soon? like tomorrow?

14. jeday

jeday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2004
    I wonder if and how Qui-Gon will be able to help Obi-Wan. First of all Obi-Wan needs more than emotional control, he needs emotional balance. A difficult task. :(
    Thank you for this great post! :)

15. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002
    WEll, sorry folks, but both muses went on strike today. I guess one's mad because I neglected them, the other's made because I forced them to work. I guess I can't win either way. :(

Well, thanks for all the lovely feedback and hopefully I'll get a chance to write this weekend. Catch y'all lata!! :D

16. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Very interesting concept Arldetta - sounds complicated, for everyone. I have to wonder how Qui and Obi will do when they finally do get paired.

I like that Qui is so interested in finding all of this out though. His interest will continue to pull him towards Obi i'm sure :)

Qui has quite the job ahead of him, breaking through that shell. Can't wait for their next meeting. Great job, keep up the good work.

--shan

17. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002
    Alright, everyone thank dianethx for kick starting my muse again. ;) Thanks Master. :D

Well, I have another little post for you all today. And hopefully, I should be able to get back to daily's again. I hope you all have your ropes handy. [face_devil] Mwahahahaha...........

-------------------------------------------------------

With the break of dawn came a fresh start. At least that is what one man hoped. Yesterday, his universe was altered forever. He could not longer accept that everything was as simple as it was before. Life had suddenly become complicated. Only hours ago he discovered the existence of those who were part of the Force in a way he could never understand. And that those people were capable of great power, so much so that their abilities were guarded by the Council. Knowledge of such beings was kept from the rest of the Order unless deemed necessary to disclose it. Qui-Gon Jinn had been sent to retrieve a Padawan and in the process stumbled upon this secret sect. Now his thoughts were preoccupied with a single name. Obi-Wan Kenobi.

A boy who had been the Padawan of one he had trouble dealing with. Perhaps now he was beginning to see why their beliefs were so different. He had much to meditate on this morning. He went to the little kitchenette to prepare his morning tea. In the small common room of his single apartment, he began a series of stretches (part of his daily ritual.) The familiar steady movements always calmed his mind and body enough for him to start meditating, however when he finished his exercises he still felt anxious. Sighing, Qui-Gon knew that peace would not come easy this morning. The warmer alerted him that the tea was ready and he hurried to get it.

He was just about to pour himself a cup full when he stopped. For a minute he stood unmoving trying to figure out what exactly it was the he wanted to do. An instant later his body apparently decided for him, for he was pulling out a thermal container to put the tea in. He was walking out of the kitchen when he spotted a plate full of nipa fruit on the table. He smiled thoughtfully. There was only one person who could have put the plate there and he smiled gratefully even thought she wasn?t there to see it. He grabbed one and was about to leave when he hesitated. Not fully understanding why, he took a second nipa.

Ready now, he exited his room and walked the halls still a bit uncertain as to where he was going. Before long, he stopped at a very familiar door. He knew instantly that this would be the best place for meditation and quickly stepped inside. He began searching for a secluded spot in the beautiful gardens.

The soothing sound of the waterfall did little to ease his troubled mind. He was leaning against a danube tree near the water?s edge with his eyes closed. He had been trying desperately to meditate but he just couldn?t slip into the peaceful trance. Too much had happened in the past few days and he just couldn?t center. So he finally resigned himself to just sitting.

His thoughts began to drift back to earlier that morning when he was in the Healer?s Ward. Bant had come to him letting him know he was being released from their care. Healer Vv Zon had informed her that Obi-Wan needed to go back to his apartment and collect some of his belongings. He would be meeting with Master Uvontra later, who would place him with another Knight temporarily until a new Master could be found for him. He was still a bit uncertain as to what would happen to him still. He didn?t know if a new Master was a good idea, but what else could they do? He wasn?t even close to being a Knight but he just wasn?t sure if he could bond with someone he didn?t know or rather who didn?t know who he was.

And as much as he pondered these thoughts, that was not what was most pressing on his mind. It was something Bant had said that troubled him greatly; Master Jinn had been asking questions about him. And not just simple questions but questions that could be disastrous. He wanted

18. Captain_Observant

Captain_Observant Jedi Master star 2

Dec 15, 2002
    Oh wow!! That was a great post!

The meeting was going so well, *sigh* If only Qui-Gon would learn not to insult the dead, especially not in front of those who loved them...it tends upset them.

But I am glad that Qui-Gon is reaching out to Obi-Wan, trying to make sure he is ok. It is a very sweet gesture.

And now Bruck is back in the picture...oh this just keeps getting beter and better!! (for the reader...not so much for our dear Obi... ;))

I can't believe that I forgot to reply after the last post...oh well, grabbing the first post this time kind of makes up for it!!

19. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Nipa addiction, eh? *snrk* loved the whole nipa bit! hehehehe

Ahhh the conversation was going so great! Poor Qui...

So he gets under Obi's skin, eh? Ummmm

Bruck... ack the boy! And a cliffy! Mesa no like'em cliffies! ;) But I'll deal! *snrk*

Great work! Can't wait for the next postie!!! I was hoping he'd eat the nipa! Guess not now that Bruck is there. *snrk* unless Bruck steals it from him hehehehe "Nipa thief! I'll get you for that! My nipa! My precioussss!" *snrk* sorry couldn't resist a little LotR there hehehe

20. RosyRedFinguredDawn

RosyRedFinguredDawn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2003
    Bruck, thats going to go well. I liked the scen in the garden. you let Obi-Wan show some emotion, which I think further rounded out his character. Now I guess all we need is Qui to come save him. Good job, keep it up.
    ~Rosy

21. jeday

jeday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2004
    Bruck'll get under Obi-Wan's skin. He always does! :(
    I think this will show Obi-Wan a certain masters point. As a prospective farmer Bruck has a special relationship to fruits. So why not give him the taste of the whole fruit? A big fruit for a big mouth!?
    [face_devil]

22. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Excellent. I'd hoped I kick-started your muse! You did a great job explaining things. Even the flashback musing was enough for me (although you can certainly expand on it...LOL). I liked how you had both Qui and Obi unsettled and apologizing to each other. And Obi is so hurt still by his Master's death that the barest suggestion of less-than-perfection in his Master makes him upset and closed off. I like how you wove the things you said earlier about the starvation and brought it up again.

And then there's Bruck. Poor Obi doesn't get a break here!!!!

Good job. Keep going.

23. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    **pulls her self out of bed and comes to read this**

Great little post here Arl..know how to make a gal feel somewhat better when she is sick..

Love the whole Qui/Obi part..but I can only wonder what will happen with Obi/Bruck.

Can not wait to read more..

PT

24. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    I think I must be missing something here... ?[face_plain] Why would Obi-Wan be upset by Bant telling Qui-Gon he's awake? Or is the reference to the awakening of his channeling ability in his near-fatal incident with Bruck?

Could the Channelers' focus on using the Force make them deaf to it? Qui-Gon's been getting all these nudges from the Force whereas Obi-Wan appears totally clueless, closed off as he is.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Bruck unintentionally does Obi-Wan a good turn by forcing him to open up - and perhaps resulting in Qui-Gon to come to his rescue and help him release his emotions safely?

We shall see, won't we, Arldetta?

25. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Lovely job, Arl. The kid just doesn't get a break, does he? Looking forward to more!

Shaindl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.