main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Masks

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JabbatheHumanBeing, Nov 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    It is totally fine to enjoy any work on whatever level one chooses. That said, the idea that there is strong visual symbolism in SW is fairly well-established. And even if it weren't intentional, the interpretation is still just a valuable, if not more so. As with any other art, making a film comprises so many decisions, some of which aren't even made on a conscious level. It doesn't matter if JJ sat down and though, "Hey, it would be cool if each introductory shot had the character in a mask". What matters is that he did so, it works, and people discuss why that is.

All that said, I would be extremely surprised if this wasn't intentional and done for some of the exact reasons stated above. I cannot wait to be able to really deconstruct the visuals, story, and music for this film. There will surely be some great discussion fodder in there.

Eternal_Jedi, Dra---, Satipo and 2 others like this.
  2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Looks like EHT has inadvertently confirmed Rey's Skywalker lineage. She hates sand.

3. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    My thoughts exactly one of my favorite parts of the trailer. The introduction of Rey with maz asking "who are you" totally sets the stage for the trilogy it assured me that the character development will be fantastic! Also lupitas delivery of the line was beautiful.

Eternal_Jedi, Revanfan1 and Satipo like this.
  4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Agreed. I've said this before, but I like the fact that even the marketing is trying to engage and draw the viewer in:

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?

You have that power too.

Who are you?

The Force is calling you. Just let it in.

IMO this is brilliant subliminal marketing.

5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Another possible aspect to the masks is that, based on what we know, the lives of all three principles could be flat and emotionless before The Force Awakens (both as a title and an event)
    Finn is simply doing his duty with a sense of unease
    Rey is surviving day to day
    Kylo is (possibly) a darkside with no focus until he gets a lead on Luke/lightsaber/something

GregMcP, EHT and hippie1kenobi like this.
  6. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    It seems to be far more of a stretch to assert that the man who wrote about the "fatherhood" beneath the mask of Vader, would introduce no layered meaning to the "masks" of the ST. Oddly, you assume that the more practical purposes of the masks (menacing/faceless evil, keeping sand out of the eyes, and being a storm trooper) cannot coexist with their purposes as visual indicators of character. Especially when that's been part of Lucas' visual storytelling in the past (indeed, Campbell called Lucas his keenest student).

This was clearly a character trailer. And the dialogue - especially that of Rey and Finn - hint at lost, hidden and suppressed identities. That dialogue is coupled with masks. All three main characters with masks.

There are almost certainly layers here. The assertion that "it's just a mask" is on a much shakier foundation.

7. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Read my second post. I'm not trying to say "ahh no way they are just cool mask dummies"

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  8. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    We also have Vader's mask, and what that mask symbolises for Kylo ( martyrdom ), versus what it means to the GFFA at large ( tyranny ), and also to us, the audience / Luke's POV ( redemption ).

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That's deep.
    I like it.

10. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Very nice.

Certainly beats discussing parentage and screen time for the billionth time.

11. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    So if we extend this to Phasma and include suggestions that we may not see her unmasked, can we take this as the character being more one-dimensional? I don't mean that as a knock at the portrayal, but maybe that is all she is...cold, calculating, driven to one thing without regret, hesitation, or emotion.

I like this. There has certainly been a meta component to the trailers. IMO, at least, they have done a good job about not being heavy-handed about how self-referential they are.

12. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    As I've been saying for well over a year now, they definitely filmed at least one scene with her helmet off. ;)

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This is what I really like about the idea of Rey Random, in addition to Finn and Poe being unrelated to anyone we've met, that these are just people that have been thrown into exceptional circumstances and now have to do exceptional things to survive. As much as I love how compelling the drama is between Luke, Vader, and the Emperor (those scenes are amongst the best in the entire series), having Luke literally struggling with the devil for his Vader's soul, after discovering that this embodiment of pure evil throughout most of the previous two films is secretly his father does take an impact on the relatability of his character.

14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, that's my favourite thing about the Random potential.

15. Hydro spanner Celt

Hydro spanner Celt Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    I understand the appeal of Rey random, but I just feel it will be more dramatic and emotional if we find out Rey, (my hope) is Luke's daughter, I think it's the Skywalker story and while Kylo might be related to OT member's it would just seem more fitting for Rey to be family. I know there's an argument that this might be to obvious but as I say it's my hope and wish.

Wildcatbarry and nightangel like this.
  16. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    IMO, there are strong pluses to each of the options.

PymParticles likes this.
  17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Well Vader started as a simple scary baddie with his helmet.
    At the end of Jedi, the mask is removed and he becomes human.

With Kylo we've seen in publicity pics that the helmet comes off in this first movie. I be that will happen at times of personal conflict. Doubt, frustration, confusion, torn between influences.

Finn... Simple. Removing the helmet makes him an individual. He's not just another disposable Trooper. He's escaping the life assigned to him.

Rey... That's the standard mysterious person doing mysterious things, and then you are shown our heroes face and we identify with her and join her for the journey.

18. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    Kylo with the mask on could embody protection from one's inner feeling and hatred towards not only his family but also what he has become; when we see him remove the mask it reveals his dispair, angst and outward shame. In regards to Finn, when he removes the mask he is also removing the confinement of the First Order, he's becoming an individual of two separate quest of self discovery and freedom. And finally Rey's mask is conceal her isolation, confinement and individualism, when she removes it she acknowledges the individualism and embraces the change in lifestyle and relationships.

19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    That's great!!

IrisBest and Solo-Skywalker like this.
  20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    The shots in the trailer weren't picked at random. They could have begun with Rey unmasked, but they didn't. The intention behind the masks is obvious.

21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The theme of masks is obviously major in the movie.
    Vader, and the Knights of Ren, and Stormtroopers, and people hidden by hoods and scarves.... Hiding identities and motivations and allegiances.

Star Wars is a Universe where people strap on their Knights Armor.
    It's something that might have its origins simply in "It looks cool", but it serves a deeper purpose now.

22. ender2k

ender2k Jedi Master star 1

Sep 22, 2004

I hadn't noticed the similarity with Kylo's mask before, but somebody elsewhere pointed out that Rey's goggles appear to utilize the lenses of an OT-era stormtrooper helmet.

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    ender2k

I think that's right.

[​IMG][​IMG]

24. Darth Damo

Darth Damo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1999
    This thread is absolutely superb and it's threads like this that bring me to the discussion boards of the force.Net for a long time.

Anyone doubting the OP is naive in the extreme. I think that they have hit the nail firmly on the head. Things like this don't happen by accident in movies, especially a movie with the financial backing and people working on the force awakens.

JabbatheHumanBeing and Dra--- like this.
  25. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Excellent point about Kylo and his mask. I wonder if he feels more comfortable whilst wearing it? It makes him the 'real' Kylo Ren, closer to his hero / Grandfather? Is there an element of self loathing when he sees himself unmasked, maybe? His Solo / Organa heritage revealed? The masked Kylo channels pure Vader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.