Mass Effect 1,2 & 3 -- Action (RPGs?) made by BioWare (ME3 Spoilers Hidden!)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lord-Draco, Oct 5, 2005.

Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
  1. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    I think a good deal of it is the controls being so spolit left-right, I tend to be better with the bulk of the functions over to the right generally.

Thing is there's so much else I really like about the game that I do want to crack the combat.
  2. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Shepard is basically the most badass character in the history of video games. In one corner, a race of alien intelligences representing the combined mind and will and essence of entire species, a race that's been unchecked slaughtering trillions of beings for tens of millions of years, a race whose mere whispers through the void inspire insanity and despair over entire worlds. In the other corner, Commander Shepard.

Bet on Shepard. :p

3. GenAntilles Jedi Master

star 5
    No.

Bet on whoever is holding the Cain. ;)
  4. ZanderSolo Jedi Knight

star 3
    That'd be Garrus.

In his spare time, Garrus practices sniping....with a Nuclear Missile Launcher.
  5. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Oh I do like Garrus.

To be fair to the game, it took me nigh-on the whole of DA:eek: to work out the combat, so ME2 could be a similar deal.
  6. Darth_Invidious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Combat in ME2 isn't that bad to be honest. It's considerably improved to that of ME and that's a fact. So is the cover system and squad commands. Play with it for a bit and you'll master it in no time.
  7. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Been busy on sidequests, mining planets and upgrading the ship which is a lot of fun, gotten a bit better at the combat too.

One of cleverer missions is where you scout a precarious wreck - chances are you probably can't die but the game sure makes you feel like you could.
  8. moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South

star 6
    I love that mission. It's got such a great sense of urgency about it and I absolutely agree with you.
  9. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Shepard came back from being blown up, perforated, decompressed, flash-frozen, cooked during atmospheric entry, freefalling into the surface of a planet, refrozen, stuff in a box, and body-snatched a few times. And when Shepard came back, Shepard made a point of killing everyone responsible for the inconvenience.

Chuck Norris could dual-wield Cains while riding around on Bruce Lee's shoulders, and Shepard would still kick his ass.
  10. moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South

star 6
    [face_laugh] I'd pay to see that! [face_laugh]

One thing I'm not liking about ME1 on the 360 is the lack of auto-saves. Went to a planet, collected everything, went inside a building, died, had to redo the whole thing. I guess it'll be easier from now on now that I know I have to save a lot, it's just an inconvenience. The Mako seems easier to control though.
  11. GenAntilles Jedi Master

star 5
    When Master Chief fell from space onto a planet he just got up and walked it off, Shepard spent two years dead. ;)

Shepard's good, but he/she is not on the level of the greatest video game protagonist. Gordon Freeman the man who solves every problem in the universe with the careful application of crowbars, and doesn't say a word.
  12. Darth_Invidious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh snap! Hail to the Chief, baby!

As a self-admitted nerd, I can't help liking Dr. Freeman...but to a point. I just don't care that much for a completely silent protagonist. At least with Shepard you can fashion a personality for him/her. But Freeman just stands there like a mute @$$#0/3 while EVERYONE talks to or around him.

EDIT: One more thing...what is it with you AMericans and this deification of geriatric, never-was Chuck Norris? The man just wan't that good. The Master (as in Mr. Lee, not S-117) could've kicked his ass all the way to Pluto before breakfast and be back home just in time for lunch!
  13. GenAntilles Jedi Master

star 5
    Actually Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee had a perfect sparing record. They fought three matches together each won one and tied the other.
  14. Darth_Furio SFTC Winner/SWC Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 8
    FTW!
  15. moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South

star 6
    Thinking back to ME1 and Eden Prime, does anyone else think that the crazy acting scientist was exposed to the Prothean beacon message?
  16. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Horizon mission

Started off OK, but then there was a section where it seemed Harbinger was able to shoot through cover completely.

Then on the defend the tower crap fights - you need a bloody enemy map because the damn viewpoint gives sweet screw all and then there's husks...

No fun at all, highly irritating and I had to wonder what the hell Bioware was thinking due to the crappy design of this final section. Praetorian was irritating as hell too.

Manages to tie with Uncharted 2's final boss for a sequence designed to clash with the controls as much as possible.

Hopefully, the game'll recover from this fiasco otherwise it will get traded in for something better. The sad thing is all the things I dislike greatly are self-inflicted by the design.
  17. Darth_Invidious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'll have to concede your points about the Horizon mission: it pretty much sucks due to the layout of the map and because it is your first major encounter with the most powerful Collector enemies in the game. You're simply not ready for them after fighting run-of-the-mill tangos throughout the previous missions. Consider this mission as training for the next 3 major story missions, including the suicide mission. And yeah, the Pretorians suck, and the suckage is worse on higher difficulties. Remember to always bring a well balanced team (soldier, tech and biotic) for the story missions, since you'll find their talents useful in more ways than one.

But whatever you do, don't give up on the game yet! Combat is just the slightest part of the ME experience, the story of Shepard and each of his crew is the core of the game.
  18. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Oh, I love the rest of the game - it's a big part of why I was getting so hacked off! THanks for the tips, have to try that out - have been sticking with Jacob and Garrus for the most part so far. That said, prior to this point I was doing better on the combat and did reasonably well on the early Collector skirmishes.

BUT... My disposition wasn't helped due to some idiot scheduling PSN maintenance on the same day the PSN store updates - including new AC Brotherhood Da Vinci Disappearance DLC! So booted up the Yakuza 4 demo and inflicted much bloody violence upon many deserving targets! It worked. :)
  19. Darth_Invidious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I take it you're playing the PS3 version of ME2 then. So how did you setup Shepard's choices from ME1? Or rather, what major or minor choices are available to you in order to setup the backstory for ME2?
  20. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    As part of the Cerberus Network DLC there's a comic that summarises ME1, with 4 decision points in it, you choose and the story continues. Seems reasonably effective, since ME1 is locked to XBox/PC.
  21. moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South

star 6
    Yeah, the end of Horizon is a pain. Just keep going though, swap up ammo powers, use regular powers too, stuff like that. I found it helped to get on to one of the trucks. I could hide behind the sides as cover and the husks could only attack me from the rear of the truck.

Anyways, keep going with the game. It's awesome and I love it.
  22. The Great No One Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    yea, horizon sucked the first time i did it since it was like... WHOA! NASTY MONSTERS NOW! second time through, knowing what to expect, it was a lot easier. only died like once the second time on a harder difficulty. first time... just... yea.
  23. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    Horizon is tough and frustrating without the right team composition. You have to have squad based ammo at that point, I prefer cryo or warp ammo. You need a tech and a biotic. On insanity, it's the most frustrating mission ever conceived.
  24. Nobody145 Jedi Master

star 5
    Hm, not really sure. I'd say no, but that depends on how important the Protheans still turn out to be. And you mean the guy that you can punch out, right? Although I don't quite remember what he was ranting about precisely, but I'd guess he was either just going crazy from the horror and shock of the attack, maybe he was exposed to the Prothean beacon, or maybe Sovereign's presence was influencing him. They weren't that close to it, but then it is a Reaper, so its best to never underestimate just what kind of influence they can have.

And yeah, I hated the Horizon mission. What's more annoying is that its kind of cool seeing the defense guns come online and chase the Collector vessel off, but usually you're too busy being chased by that damn Praetorian. If its any help, I found leading it on a chase useful last time I played through it. Just keep moving around a container, it'll keep chasing you, so take a few shots at it before your shields fall, then run around to the other side of the container to recover. Depending on your cover, its relatively easy to survive, it just an annoyingly long tim to take down.

And ugh, husks are some of the most annoying enemies with how they swarm you. I put points into cryo ammo just to slow them down (especially squad cryo ammo). At least in the second game Sheppard can actually punch them. I hated getting swarmed by them in the first game, but not being able to do anything at close range.
  25. -Phoenix- Jedi Master

star 5
    You could punch in the first game too, you know. The trigger automatically melees at close range. Maybe you're being sarcastic, I don't know.

I'm doing another playthrough on Insanity at the moment, and this game can be so unforgiving. Horizon was hard, but escaping the Collector vessel after the ambush is BRUTAL. That's the hardest part I've encountered so far easily. I don't have much else to do other than the final mission now, and the Collector ship stands out big time.
Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest