main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass Effect 1,2 & 3 -- Action (RPGs?) made by BioWare (ME3 Spoilers Hidden!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lord-Draco, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Thanks! I try. :)

::::Reality kicks in to bring us all back down to earth::::

There is a high possibility that we may not be seeing this game til like....early 2007. Which is good because atleast we know the game won't be rushed ::::Looks over at the LucasArts corner:::: But the wait is going to be killer. If we're lucky, we'll be playing this game X-Mas 2006 however I highly doubt it.

2. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    I heard BioWare switched to the PS3 in the EGM rumor mill. If that's true the Bionuts may want to wait before grabbing a 360.

3. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    I doubt that they'll be going to PS3. From what BioWare Reps are saying in the Bioware Forums this is only for 360. In fact, they are giving away three 360's as part of a promotion, so I doubt they're moving to PS3. The only other platform Mass Effect might see is PC.

4. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Yeah and the rumors also says that Jade Empire 2 will be on the PS3. Who knows, we'll see....

5. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Q at EGM says Jade Empire 2 is going to PS3. I don't pay attention to rumors anywhere else. But he has a history of being reliable and having good sources.

I don't know if this game will be a PS3 game or not. Probably depends on how much money Microsoft offers them to keep it exclusive.

6. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    I highly doubt this game will ever see the daylight on the PS3. PC gamers would get lucky if they saw ME on the PC. This is a 360 exclusive just like Twilight Princess is a GCN exclusive and MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive.

I mean....you never saw KOTOR and Jade Empire on the PS2 right? Bioware is like a 2nd Party developer for Microsoft.

7. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I doubt the PS2 could handle KOTOR or Jade Empire. However I think the power differential is going to be a lot smaller this gen, so you never know.

8. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Exactly! Its not going to be about which system can handle what. Because I believe the PS3 and maybe even the Revolution would be able to handle a game like Mass Effect. However its going to be more about which company (M$, Nintendo, or Sony) will be willing to pay the most for a developer to only develope for them.

Again, the PS3 will be able to handle ME, there is no doubt about that. With that in mind, M$ must be paying Bioware a hefty royality fee so that they can ensure that ME will only be on the 360 and not on other platforms.

9. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    I highly doubt this game will ever see the daylight on the PS3.

Probably not considering MS will be paying BioWare to keep it that way.

PC gamers would get lucky if they saw ME on the PC. This is a 360 exclusive just like Twilight Princess is a GCN exclusive

That's a first party game.

and MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive.

Like MGS2 was a PS2 exclusive until Substance came out on XBX?

I mean....you never saw KOTOR and Jade Empire on the PS2 right? Bioware is like a 2nd Party developer for Microsoft.

They are an independant developer who have a tendency of going to the console with the highest specs. Insomniac is a 2nd party developer.

My point is this. Unless the game is first or second party there is no guarantee which consoles it will wind up on. A game developed by Nintendo or Naughty Dog will wind up on the Nintendo and Sony console as an exclusive. A game developed by a third party developer is open to wind up to whoever the execs choose based on console specs and cash.

10. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Thank you for your input, but please don't argue with me on this. ;)

Since this game was announced I've spent much of my time over at the Mass Effect Bioware forums and the people on the development team has said that this is a 360 exclusive with no plans on it being on the Revolution or PS3. However they did give some hints and word that it may appear on the PC. They said that they are treating this just like KOTOR and Jade Empire. The last time I checked KOTOR and JE wasn't on the PS2 or GCN.

Nuff Said

11. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    I wasn't talking about this game alone. I was talking about BioWare as a developer. There is reason to believe Jade Empire 2 is going to PS3, probably as an exclusive. There is reason to believe Mass Effect is going to be a 360 exclusive. But fans of BioWare who are only going to buy one console this upcoming cycle may want to think twice before grabbing a 360.

12. Smuggler_4_Life

Smuggler_4_Life Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    This is really the first game that has given me any desire to own a 360. And I say let them take the time they need to design the game(s) the right way. If they take long enough, maybe there will be a price drop squeezed in between the 360 launch and the ME release date.... I fail to see any downside to that!

But then, this game might dramatically increase sales of the 360, so M$ might be better off not dropping the price until well after the game comes out. Ah well, either way I'm sure it will be awesome.

Unrelated note: Was anyone else struck by the number of times the term "photo-realistic" was used in that fact sheet? Sounds like they're either a) taking full advantage of next-gen hardware and/or b) trying to build the hype machine already......

13. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Right on!

However the answer is A, they're trying to take full advantage of the 360 graphics wise. However the game isn't just going to be graphic based like the majority of the initial 360 titles, there is also going to be a heavy story mode, and gameplay to follow along.

14. Darth_FattyAss

Dec 10, 2002
    Just saw a great interview discussing the Mass Effect. I can't tell you how psyched I am for this game. However, I wish I found out about it 10 months from now so i wouldn't have to wait! Here's the link http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2211

15. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Thanks for the link FattyAss. Don't worry however, the wait and anticipation for the game is half of the fun right there. Lol, I mean what fun is it to just find out about a great game like this about a month before it comes out lol. While that may be more simple, it takes away from the anticipation factor. Thats what I used to get from the Battlefront 2 thread. However things really slowed down in that thread ever since it was locked.

16. Darth_FattyAss

Dec 10, 2002
    If anyone is interested, OXM has a great article on Mass Effect. This gmae looks like it's going to be unbelievable. The sheer scope of the game along with character dynamics make this game sound awesome. I'm willing to gamble and put down my vote for game of the year if they deliver what's discussed. It's really a shame that Lucas Arts isn't begging BioWare to have a second team step-up and do KOTOR 3. I recommend getting the issue of OXM which also has a great video walkthrough of Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion.

17. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Xboxevolved.com had the chance to interview Bioware in regards to Mass Effect. Here is the link

The interview is okay, but it doesn't really say anything new. Basically everything that is revealed in the Interview is stuff that we all know, or should already know. It is still a good read for those who are just finding interest in the game.

18. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Q also said that KOTOR was going to be on the Gamecube. We all know how that turned out. Anyways looks like he was wrong again. BioWare joint CEO Ray Muzyka acknowledges follow-up to martial arts role-playing game in interview, strongly hints that it will be on Xbox 360.

"BioWare definitely plans to continue the Jade Empire franchise," reads one of Muzyka's responses. "The Jade team did a great job with the first game in that series; we have great teams working on all of our games here. We've also said in the past that we're working on not just one, but two Xbox 360 titles. Enough said ; )"

Doesn't effect me. I'm getting both systems. :D

19. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    How do most of you guys feel about the idea that this is a 360 exclusive and won't be on the PC at any time.

I believe that is really bold by Bioware, a company that has strongly supported the PC community in the past. Lol, its like ever since their success with KOTOR, they've found a new love in consoles.

20. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    Doesn't bother me. I make it a habit to game on more then one platform for situations just like this.

21. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    I know, but a lot of PC followers of Bioware sees this as a major slap in the face.

22. Darth_FattyAss

Dec 10, 2002
    I think that PC gamers had better get used to the idea that more and more games will begin as console exclusives and then MAYBE be ported over to PC. There is simply more money to be made in consoles. Not to mention that for a developer it's logistically and finacially easier to develop for one console at a time, instead tof trying to make a game work on multiple platforms.

23. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    Personally I think those PC zealots are a bunch of tools(can be applied to anyone who will refused playing a game out of misguided company loyalty). You know the ones. They go on and on about how they plan on boycoting company X because they have shifted over to make some games for consoles. WT*! Suck it up. Denying yourself fun over something so petty is pretty stupid, IMO. It's not like they are abandoning the PC platform just spreading the love around. And lets face it Dragon Age is going to rip Mass Effect a new one and thats PC only. So they shouldn't be compalining.

24. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Yeah, I just wanted to see what you guys though. Because Bioware has been viewed as Console friendly as of late. First off KOTOR was a core Xbox title and the PC gamers had to wait months before they could have a taste. Then Jade Empire comes along and I believe that JE is Xbox only. Now there is Mass Effect, 360 only with no signs of it ever coming to the PC.

25. Darth_FattyAss

Dec 10, 2002
    A couple of things....

JE was an XBOX exclusive and and according to Ray Musyka (CEO BioWare) JE2 will be an XBOX 360 exclusive as well

Dragon Age does look good but IMO Mass Effect is sizing up to be one amazing game. I was reading on the forums that what you see in the ME trailer is just a taste of what the game play will look like. If that's the case then this game will be visually stunning.

If you want to see PC gamer angst at it's best take a trip over to the ME forums and look at all the locked threads from people pissed that ME is a console exclusive. Unlike KOTOR, I doubt this title will be ported over simply because of the episodic updates that will be offered through XBOX live. BioWare may eventually port the game but you wouldn't have the whole experience. It be like reading a book and skipping several chapters in the middle.