main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass Effect 1,2 & 3 -- Action (RPGs?) made by BioWare (ME3 Spoilers Hidden!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lord-Draco, Oct 5, 2005.

1. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Excuse me while I wipe away the tears. That was AWESOME! I've always been a little wishy-washy about the story. It's pretty trite on the surface, I think; however, that trailer blew me away. I think I would pay to see someone else play it on a movie theater sized screen. I can't wait to see that space battle in action. I was practically cheering when the Normandy fired off those missiles.

Of course Keith David could narrate drying paint and still get me excited. At first I thought using his voice was sort of a cop-out - like Morgan Freeman and March of the Penguins - but I totally buy him now as a real character in the game rather than a gimmick.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I WANT THIS ON PC!!!!! FRAKKING BIOWARE!!!!!

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Bioware said they wanted the game to feel like it was an epic movie - I think they succeeded pretty well judging by this trailer. And just think - this is only the first part of a trilogy!

4. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    I'm not too excited about the coming trilogy. I seriously think we're about 10 years and at least one and a half console cycles from seeing MEIII. Check back with me in 8 years. :p

5. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Well who knows, if the first or second bombs, there will be no third.

6. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    1. Calm down.

2. Practically everything BioWare has made eventually made it to PC, but at a later date. I'm sure it'll come out on PC soon enough.

7. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    Has Bioware ever made a bomb? Afaik, they are one of the most respected developers out there. I've only played KOTOR and Jade Empire, but both were, by far, game of the years for me.

8. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    They've also done Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate, IIRC.

9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Well, now that I'm getting my 360 repaired for free, I can look forward to games again.

This puppy's at the top of my list. Looks fantastic, along with Assassin's Creed. Gonna be one hell of a November.

10. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    I'll be buying a 360 just to play this (currently mooching off my brother's 360).

As for the sequels, they said they plan to have them all out on the 360. They figure the 360 will have a 5-6 year lifespan, similar to the Xbox. So if they get this game out in November, the second in 2009, and the third in 2011 then they should probably be one of the final games before the 360 becomes the 720 or whatever.

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    It's got nothing to do with what they make, it's what sells that counts. I'm sure it'll do well, but no one knows, do they?

12. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/zacparis/scraps/Concept10.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/zacparis/scraps/Concept6.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/zacparis/scraps/Concept4.jpg]

=P~

13. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    You're splitting hairs for the sake of being argumentative. Good games that are marketed properly sell very well. Hell, bad games that are marketed properly sell very well. Mass Effect has been hyped--excuse me, marketed--to the point where even if it was bad, it would still sell enough copies to warrant the whole trilogy. I don't think you have to be a psychic to foresee Mass Effect being an excellent game (Jade Empire was better than KOTOR, IMO anyway, so it's logical to assume that ME will be better than JE), even if they never get the framerate optimized. Oblivion's framerate was awful on the 360, but it was still an excellent game, and was one of the best selling games of 2006.

Oh, and Normandy and Mako FTW. I can't wait to get my hands on those puppies.

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I'm sure the game will do fine. Don't worry.

And Oblivion's frame rate was just fine on my machine...

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/zacparis/scraps/Concept6.jpg]

I love that. If you look you will notice that it is actually a ring, the water curves upward in the background and the ceiling curves out of sight.

16. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    My background

:D

Sorry, I'm just catching up on all of the awesomeness that this game is going to be. I've been living under a videogame rock. :p

17. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah, I guess it'll be hoping too much to be able to walk all the way around.

18. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999

Brings to mind that scene from 2001 when the astronaut guy goes jogging around the spaceship.

19. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    Oh how nice an artificial ring world! How creative and original!

20. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    It's the only realistic way to create artificial gravity in space. Unless you have a better idea?

21. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    How else do you generate gravity? Ringworlds will be a common sight in space once humanity seriously begins to colonize worlds off Earth simply because it makes it real easy to generate gravity. Even if the technology existed to generate artificial gravity by some other means, ringworlds will always be able to do it cheaper and more efficiently.

It may not be creative or original, but it is practical and realistic.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I assume that mass effect features people walking around on their space ships, hence gravity control. If you have control of gravity should one make a rong shaped thingy in space? Sure. It'd be cheaper since the gravity is just spin which needs no energy to maintain. Also, I'm not aware of too many video games that make use of such a thing and let you run around in it.

23. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I think it does have people walking around spaceships. Maybe the ring city was constructed before the discovery of artificial gravity and proved so efficient and reliable they kept on using it.

24. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Halo *Cough* Halo

25. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999

You did that backwards.