main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Mass Effect Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    What's this about switching profiles?

2. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002

See the breakdown of the earlier gameplay trailer. Basically, it appears you have access to all three skill trees (combat, tech, and biotics), which are organized into seven different profiles (soldier, engineer, adept, sentinel, vanguard, infiltrator, and explorer). Investing points in the appropriate skill tree will unlock the profile for use (i.e., investing in both tech and biotics will unlock the sentinel profile). The profiles are available in the game menu during a mission and you can switch between them as needed - i.e. select engineer for fighting synthetic enemies, then potentially switch to adept to blow through a bunch of organics. I would presume that you'll still have to prioritize your selections to get the most out of any particular profile.

3. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Ah, I thought you meant like switching to different characters. I'm intrigued to see how that works. I've always tended to go Vanguard but never made much use of Charge, so I'd be glad to be able to use something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, I'll be interested to see how it works as well. As stated earlier, one of the things I liked about the ME Trilogy was that trying out all the classes lured me into creating multiple characters and developing new playstyles. As much as part of me would like a character who's good at everything, I expect there will have to be trade-offs made and in order to fully evolve one particular skill tree you'll have to shortchange another.

5. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    That's right!!! Holy moley imagine if there was a connection there! DarthCrane

If that's true, I wonder if she knows or maybe she was estranged from him and never made the connection.

Or maybe she does know and she's trying to clear their family name? If she's an officer she's obviously done something right.\

Question: the timeline and when this trilogy takes place, can't be very far behind the events of the original trilogy right? Didn't Ryder (dad) participate in the First Contact War? Or did I hear something wrong..

6. DarthCane

May 30, 2002

Might be just a coincidence, who knows. I highly doubt in-universe that anyone really knew the Illusive Man's backstory once he founded Cerberus, so if Lt. Harper's any relation, it would be something the player will have to work to discover.

As far as the timeline, the Andromeda Initiative launches in 2185, so during or shortly after the events of ME2. The crews of the Arks and Nexus spend 600 years in cryostasis, so the game picks up six centuries after the original ME trilogy. It'll be interesting to see what events from the games might actually carry over from your old saves (or if any even will; BioWare hinted that players should hang onto their save games but that was very early in the development stage). I wouldn't expect much (and it sounds like they purposely set the departure date at 2185 to avoid any ME3 references), but a few little nods here and there (or even a minor character from ME1 or ME2) would be a nice touch.

7. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    I'm thinking the same thing, he wasn't the Illusive Man for nothing.

Ahhh I see. For selfish reasons, I would be really sad if they indeed carried over a previously saved game. (I switched from XBOX to Playstation.)

But I would love to see multiple nods to ME2 characters/events since it was around the same time. ME1 references would be an even greater bonus. I.e. Nods to Saren or something about the Citadel keepers, etc.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So clearly only Ulicus and I saw this, right?

Looks like it could be so very good.

The Vanguard and Ulicus like this.
  9. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    Oh I definitely saw this, very happy about the freedom to switch between weapon types and skill sets.

Although I will miss the feeling I had when I selected a Biotic in the original trilogy. You always felt unique when playing as one.

10. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Just saw that myself. Melee weapons, hmm ...

The Vanguard likes this.
  11. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    How would we import a save game file if we played the original trilogy on the Xbox 360 and have the Xbox One now?

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Depends on how they set it up, if they did.

Tech's there, as there been save transfer from PS3-PS4 for FFX Remaster and Diablo 3.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  13. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Because it's sort of my thing, I'll list the ME Trilogy weapons we've seen in that clip:

Pistols/SMGs:
    M-3 Predator
    M-5 Phalanx
    M-6 Carnifex
    M-25 Hornet
    (Also, the "Charger" which seems to have the same model as the M-9 Tempest)

Shotguns:
    M-23 Katana
    Reegar Carbine
    Disciple
    N7 Crusader
    N7 Piranha
    Venom

Assault Rifles:
    M-8 Avenger
    M-37 Falcon
    M-76 Revenant
    M-96 Mattock
    Adas Anti-Synthetic Rifle
    N7 Valkyrie

Sniper Rifles:
    M-29 Incisor
    M-90 Indra
    M-97 Viper
    N7 Valiant
    Black Widow

Ezio Skywalker and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Sites are putting up their hands-on impressions today. So far it looks pretty damned positive. Also, Natalie Dormer is voicing the doctor, an Asari, which is just grand.

If the Avenger is as ridiculously OP as it was in ME3 then I'll be delighted.

True Sith and Padme501st like this.
  15. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Saw a photo in the recent preview articles with one addition to the Pistol category: N7 Eagle.

Prior to DLC weapons in ME3, the Avenger was rendered also-rans for me once the Phaeston became available, since it was an improvement in every way except weight. Still, it was a very good starting weapon and a major improvement over what it was in ME2; it lived up to the legacy of Zaeed's "Jessie" by not having a lot of punch, but being reliable (read lightweight and controllable) as hell. Of course, the ARs I want to see come back are the N7 Typhoon and M-7 Lancer, the former of which was overkill personified and the latter of which was not quite as overpowered but incredibly practical. With the Venom listed as an available shotgun we already have what's arguably the most overpowered ME3 gun available - on Normal it's a one-hit-kill on anything short of a Banshee.

I've read three takes on the 90-minute preview gameplay BioWare provided to the media so far; two were positive and one was mixed, although the mixed review (Polygon) was more along the lines of "90 minutes was not long enough for me to get the hang of it and grasp what's going on."

16. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Profile and squadmates video just posted:

17. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    A lot to absorb from that video. Combat is never going to be boring, that's for sure.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Getting closer to release date!

19. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  20. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    Here is one thing I never understood about the Mass Effect series, apparently Dragon Age games are much longer, my question is why are the Mass Effect games so much shorter when they are made by the same developers?

Anyway I really hope Mass Effect Andromeda will be a lot longer than the other ME games and be jam packed with side quest and stuff to do after the main quests like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Witcher etc.

21. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Put my pre-order in today. Plumped for the Deluxe Edition as it was only £5 more and came with a crap load more stuff. Plus I'd be getting it on launch day anyway, I may as well get my moneys worth. I also got EA Origin Access, so got 10% off. Happy days!

Because not all games have to be the same length? None of the games overstay their welcome and have plenty of stuff to do. I don't think you can't really complain about the length when the first Mass Effect still takes about 25-30 hours to complete and that's the shortest one.

22. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    The next briefing video just posted - weapons, biotics, tech, and jumpjets:

Includes a quick shot of what looks like a Blood Pack Punisher on the table, and a look at weapon mods - grenade launcher for pistols, laser shells for shotguns, and electrical conduit for assault rifles. The Carnifex can now be a literal "hand cannon."

23. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    So I'm hearing rumors that
    At the start of the game the Human Ark gets lost on its way to Andromeda and turns up 34 years after the other Arks and Nexus dose

24. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    So the PC specs are out:

Minimum:
    PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5 3570 or AMD FX-6350
    MEMORY: 8 GB RAM
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB, AMD Radeon 7850 2GB
    HARD DRIVE: At least 55 GB of free space
    DIRECTX: DirectX 11

Recommended:
    PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-4790 or AMD FX-8350
    MEMORY: 16 GB RAM
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB, AMD RX 480 4GB
    HARD DRIVE: At least 55 GB of free space
    DIRECTX: DirectX 11

My question is I can run The Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, Rise of the Tomb Raider etc on near-to-max settings. Presumably I shouldn't have much trouble in doing the same with Andromeda, right?

That makes a lot of sense actually. Not really a spoiler, more conjecture, but to be safe...

A lot of the pre-release stuff was about how it was 600 years in the future, but following the hands on stuff earlier this week I started seeing 634 years as a figure. At first I thought it was just that they'd made it a less round number, but Hyperion getting lost en route makes sense. It also explains how they're able to have ports and towns filled with Milky Way inhabitants, like we saw in the gameplay and cinematic trailers.

PimpBacca likes this.
  25. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    The system requirements seem comparable to Battlefront. I guess frostbite really knows how to deliver performance and visuals in the one package without being too much of a toll on the PC.