main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Mass Effect Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Corac

Corac Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 16, 2015
    Okay, two things that really bother me (story spoilers for the first planet):

Okay, when you crash on Habitat 7 your faceplate is broken, and Ryder just fixes it (with omnigel?), but when it breaks later, they don't do that and Ryder the Greater sacrifices himself for you.

The second thing: he saves you by popping his helmet off and sticking it on Kid Ryder. Ryder is immediately able to breathe. The process takes seconds; they could have swapped the helmet back and forth until they were picked up.

Just had to point those things out, and ask if I missed anything. Did I?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    Corac

From what I understood, kid Ryder was able to repair existing faceplate by fusing the plate back together. When he shattered it there was nothing to fuse together. The Omni-gel couldn't create the material, only manipulate it.

As far as why they couldn't just share back and forth, I'm not sure. But kid Ryder was fainting. Not sure how much oxygen he needed or if there were any other effects that prevented them from just "holding their breath and waiting."

True Sith likes this.
  3. Corac

Aug 16, 2015
    I thought it was shattered the first time, not just cracked, but I might be remembering it wrong.

Even so, isn't the whole purpose of omni-gel to be reformed into new materials for field repairs and modifications? Maybe it just can't make glass (or whatever Space Glass the faceplate is made of). That works.

Edit: Omni-gel in theory seems a bit too versatile and useful to be such a minor, rarely-discussed thing in the series, for exactly this reason, which I assumed to be why they dropped the whole concept in the second and third games.

Edit 2: Closed the spoiler tag. Whoops.

4. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Just setup my second outpost, LOVING the game so far. Not really seeing much in the way of animation problems that some seem to be making an issue out of.

5. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    I'm not seeing it either PimpBacca - another fuss for nothing?

Had my first glitch/mishap yesterday. I started a conversation and went into "conversation view" before I realized a turret had me in sights. I couldn't break or hurry the conversation fast enough so I just died. Thankfully the game auto-saved moments before, or I would have been royally pissed.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, comments here and elsewhere combined with a £4 price drop convinced me to grab it.

Padme501st likes this.
  7. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    Jump in Ben! The water is warm! :p Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    It's a quintessential 7/10 so far for me. I'm about 12 hours in and I've just done the first vault. Loved the design of it, though it felt like it was very heavily influenced by Halo 4. The human crew are keeping up the Mass Effect tradition of being entirely forgettable, though I'm liking the aliens. Pretty sure I'm set on romancing Peebee, seeing as Lexi is off limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    All of the human crew are still better than Jacob, anyway :p I'm set on either Cora or Vetra for romance options so far...
    On another note, there is such a crazy amount of stuff to do in this game, even aside from the priority missions. I've been a completionist in past ME games but I've already started to just stick to quests that look interesting.

10. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I'm curious as to what people have made their Ryder's look like. I'm quite partial to mine:

[​IMG]

Padme501st and The Vanguard like this.
  11. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    I was going for a Glen look from TWD.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the poor quality image, I was too lazy to take a screen-shot from the console.

12. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    There's so much to do!! and it all feels so mass effect as well!!

Has anyone been reading the novel Nexus Uprising? If not I recommend it, It's so really good.

The Vanguard likes this.
  13. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    I've been very curious to know more details about the uprising, glad to know there is a novel I can check out..

PimpBacca likes this.
  14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Borrowed it for a few days from Redbox, it is very exciting, but I can see why reviews are mixed. Got to the Tempest, always a great moment (getting your own ship), like the design and the interior feels really different from the Normandy. Almost like a cruise ship in some ways (seeing potted plants here and there), at least compared to the military SR-1 and still mostly spartan SR-2. A sleek design, almost like an atmospheric jet, smoother than the sharper Normandy designs. What does it remind me of, maybe the Concorde (that's probably a dated reference by now).

Lots of little annoyances though. Like maybe I'm missing something, but wasn't able to manually save for the first hour or so. Something about being unable to save during priority missions? Which feels weird, I'm just used to being able to save almost any time out of combat (as long as a cutscene wasn't going or something like that). Which could be really annoying before any big choices (like I have a ME1 save right before "save the Council or not"). I am seeing a lot of of the odd animations- NPCs suddenly over there, poor facial animations. Some of it is just a different art style, but I still end up liking even ME1's graphics to here. Its not bad, just... different and not as good as before.

And ugh, the scanning minigame. After I got the Tempest, fiddled around with the galaxy map and what were they thinking with all the travel time between planets?! Even if its just there to hide loading, its just really annoying having to wait so long just to even look a a planet's profile. Not that there's much to read, since Andromeda is almost all uncharted territory compared to the often interesting little tidbits the original ME trilogy had.

If I had the extra time (and there weren't other games I'm more interested in that have either just released or are going to be here soon), I'd be more interested. I really wish they hadn't chosen to release this game this particular month (same forty days as Zelda, the surprisingly good Horizon Zero Dawn, and soon Persona 5), otherwise I'd be spending more time on it. Instead back to Redbox, and I'll probably wait for the price to drop in a while (and a few more patches).

15. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    I've heard the same complaints form friends about the inter-planetary travel taking so much time. I don't mind it. Makes it feel real. Which is more important to me. I love the real-time shadows cast on each planet from each system's sun.

The no-saving this is new. If you make a decision that you immediately regret, you have to load the last auto-save during a priority mission, which usually means re-playing against the level's boss. Sounds like they put a price on changing your mind.

I'm on my third outpost. Playing on Hardcore really discourages me from re-playing a boss battle just to change a decision. Sure it's not convenient but if I wanted convenience I would play casual. All in all the whole change has made me look forward to my next play-through.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  16. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Yeah its the first book of what was 4 but now 3.
    http://titanbooks.com/blog/announcing-official-mass-effect-novels/

The Vanguard likes this.
  17. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Finished the game this morning, It has an amazing ending. Very promising and it sets up lots of sequels and DLC

18. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    Just ordered my copy of Nexus Uprising :D

PimpBacca likes this.
  19. Corac

Aug 16, 2015
    Mustafar_66
    [​IMG]
    Alice Ryder.

The character creator is terrible if you want to edit facial structure in detail, but it's passable if you pick one of the two or three good presets and just play with hair/eye/skin color, hairstyle, tattoos, scars, etc. I got a good result that way, I quite like my Ryder.

The Vanguard likes this.
  20. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    Love it Corac

And I second that, I had to make Will Ryder from a preset and didn't really change much. But I am very happy with it.

21. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    So I finished the game yesterday morning at 92% playtime of 59 hours. The ending is very good.

22. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    Nice work Bacca.

I was wondering, what's everyone's overall thoughts with the combat so far? I have found I prefer the infiltrator profile.

PimpBacca likes this.
  23. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I mix soldier and biotic abilities on the soldier profile. I really like guns and using biotic combos for crowd control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    I started with soldier, but ended up with Engerer, which is weird considering I really never used it during the Trilogy. I did keep Grenades, fully maxed out they are a life saver against the bigger enemies.

25. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    That's interesting because I wasn't a fan of the original Infiltrator class. I was more of an engineer/sentinel. [face_thinking]