main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Mass Effect Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Sep 7, 2012.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    For anyone who has ME3 for PC, do you have any problems with the game crashing during multiplayer? Specifically at the end when the shuttle comes. Out of 25 matches I've done only twice has it ever successfully transitioned from the shuttle picking you up to the loading screen without crashing.

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Me, I'd be happy to actually be able to play multiplayer on PS3 :( Guess there's just no public matches out on this side of the world - I've been able to play MP once, but never since - my machine just goes eternally searching for games. :( It's official: PS3 has no game :( :(

3. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I can't tell you how it feels to go 10 rounds and have the game crash and not get ANY of the credits, experience, or galactic readiness points... 18 times!!!!

I was so proud when I got my galactic readiness up to 57% after playing 6 matches in a row and finally finishing one.

4. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Yikes. I haven't gotten into multiplayer as yet; mainly because I've become dependent on those nice SP bennies like tactical pause and time slowdown.

Just finished the Ardat-Yakshi monastery and had the full Biotic Bombing Unit on hand - my adept, Liara, and Javik. First strike in that final battle was a singularity from Liara to tie up the husks, rank 6 Dark Channel from Javik to set up one of the Banshees ... and then I launched a rank 6 Flare right at said Banshee. The damage to the horrors was a little underwhelming; it only blew half the barrier off the target and chipped the other one maybe 2-3 bars. However, it did vaporize the whole lot of husks instantly, after which it was a rain of power combos, one rank 6 lift grenade, and warp ammo from Javik's Adas rifle and the two "grease guns" (Punisher SMGs). Took them down quite nicely; they never made it to the stairs.

Then I went on a Citadel shopping spree. Just about cleaned out the useful mods, picked up the aquarium VI, Blood Dragon armor, and an M-11 Wraith that I immediately upgraded to level V. Blew between 350k and 400k in one visit.

5. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Heh, I got plenty of ammo there. [face_devil]

Let's see what I got that's *not* related to ME3's Ending though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, this one technically does relate to the ending, but not the way you may think...
    [​IMG]

Heh, speaking of those lifts, remember when Bailey says he's making Kai Leng's stop at every floor?
    (play this in the background for maximum effect)
    [​IMG]

I think between this and what DarthCane said, you've got most of what's wrong with Kai Leng in ME3, besides looking like he got lost on his way to Metal Gear Solid :p . He was first introduced in Retribution as this badass assassin, then Deception came along and gave us the Cereal Ninja meme (along with other stuff...). He doesn't really come across as this top-tier assassin in ME3. A terminally-ill Thane gets the drop on him (granted Kai Leng kills him, but still...). The only time he "beats" you is on Thessia, and that's only because HE NEEDS TO RECHARGE and the gunship intervenes (didn't we kill like 5 of those in ME2? Why is this one too hard to kill?). You get the feeling he only beats Shep and Co on Thessia because the plot says so, not because he's a super-awesome assassin.

Personally, I thought Kahlee was handled okay. She's only there for one mission, and that's it. It's a nice reference and cameo for those who read the books, and it doesn't detract much from the main story. Maybe if they did the same with Kai Leng and use him for only one mission (Grissom or the Coup maybe?) and maybe have him as sort of the "boss" of the level, that would have worked better instead of having him as a recuring antagonist the whole game?

6. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Kai Leng is awesome because he's terrible.

Like, everyone knows he's terrible. When he's ranting about how he'll get Shepard, the Illusive Man is basically face-palming. He's supposed to be Shepard's replacement, and he's nowhere as good as Shepard, not even close. In the only time he really gets to fight Shepard, he gets his ass handed to him, and then he goes out like a punk.

You can see it in his face as he realizes this when he dies: he might be able to fight like a Krogan and run like a leopard, but he'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  7. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    In other news, contrary to my wailing of a few posts ago, I wound up playing a bit of multiplayer last night. Three or four matches on Bronze, so I've got Galactic Readiness up to 70% or so. I can see how it'd get pretty repetitive after a while, but visiting some of the battlegrounds was fun: got the Earth: London match at one stage which was rather entertaining against Geth, and me with my Level 7 trooper among 18th level Asari Adepts who must've been slumming it. :D Thus far, only got an Avenger (a.k.a Peashooter), Mantis and Raptor sniper rifle, but I've been levelling up my human soldier slowly...even managed to get through one or two matches without a single death, which was edifying. Do people really not pay attention when you get grenades thrown at your position? It's weird...

8. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    How do you get new guns anyways? I've just got the Avenger for my Turian soldier. Do I just keep buying those packs in the store and hope eventually I'll get a new gun?

9. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    That's basically it. You roll the dice. Buying more expensive packs (Spectre, Premium Spectre) allegedly nets you higher chances of better weaponry, but I've seen a youtube of a guy who spent literally 2 million credits and wound up with 4 failed purchases, about 10-15 shotguns, and 2 N7 weapons (i.e. the best of the weaponry available). It's as dodgy as hell. (Bear in mind he was buying nothing but Premium Spectre packs, so that netted him about 21 purchases all up.)

10. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, I mark that as another reason I haven't signed on for multiplayer - the idea of having to slave away to get high-level weapons (and then slave some more to upgrade them; if by miracle you get a good gun you would have to get it another nine times to upgrade it to level X) is not appealing.

At least you got the Raptor; given how that gun is basically a more powerful Mattock with a scope you can practically just carry that and maybe an SMG or shotgun for close-quarter. Although, seeing as the M-92 Mantis was my SP adept's go-to anti-Reaper sniper weapon until he got the M-6 Carnifex (and it's still Garrus's standard long rifle), the basic guns aren't all that bad. Then again, with a proper adept build guns are secondary or even tertiary weapons. I'm considering leveling up the Avenger if I have creds to spare towards the end of this playthrough; it might not pack a big punch but it's light, spews a lot of bullets, reloads quickly, and it stays on target well even in full-auto fire (the latter of which is not a common quality in say, most SMGs). I'll think about that after I've bought up all the medigel upgrades, useful weapon mods, cool shotguns (Claymore, N7 Crusader) and ARs (M-55 Argus, M-99 Saber, N7 Valkyrie, Chakram Launcher) I passed over in my other five playthroughs, and cabin tchotchkes.

11. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I do share your sentiments about the Avenger, I must say -- I'm spoiled because I've been toting Typhoons around in SP, so stuff tends to turn into a red mist rather quickly, but in MP I did luck into a couple of AR Stability mods which make it a bit more of a workhorse, reliable sort of gun. I'm also (I guess) pleasantly surprised by the learning curve for MP as opposed to SP -- I've never been that much of a MP player, but whether it's the maps or otherwise I did feel as if I was at least half-competent or holding my own. I didn't have to get revived by other teammates much and I pulled a good number of assists for only being a pretty low-level human soldier investing everything into Adrenaline Rush, Alliance Officer, Fitness, and then moving onto stuff like Frag Grenade later on. The Avenger's proven fairly good to form up headshots with, especially against Cerberus, and it'll take you several seconds of exposure to mow a single target down, but as long as it staggers your opponent and they don't have a buddy or two around to flank you or return fire, it's a nice, trusty AR for "hold the trigger down" fun in MP.

12. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Saintheart pretty much said it. To have any chance of getting the really good guns, you have to get the Spectre or Premium Spectre Packs (60,000 and 99,000, respectively). So if you're playing Bronze only, it's going to take you a while to get anywhere. Unless you really do feel like spending real money to buy those packs. But even then, that doesn't increase your chances of getting what you want. The same goes with mods, gear, and characters. So while a Spectre and above pack guarantees a Rare card, it might not necessarily for something you want.

Also, fyi, the rarity classes are broken into 4 (technically 5) groups: Common weapons (blue rimmed cards) which are pretty much what the Recruit Packs only give, Uncommon (silver rimmed), Rare (Gold rimmed), and Ultra Rare (dark grey with N7). There's also the Promotional ones, which are marked the same way as the Ultra Rares, but are only given out for completing the weekend ops.

13. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, before I spent a few bucks on DLC weapons the Avenger was just about every class's primary weapon up until acquiring the Phaeston, which weighs a little more but otherwise beats the Avenger in every category. I still upgrade the Phaeston even though it's not an outstanding weapon, just because it fills the niche of being light, accurate, and spitting 50 rounds at a clip.

It's been an interesting experience with this adept playthrough, because I decided on a whim to avoid all the guns I use in my other playthroughs. That means I'm missing some of my staples for Shep - the Executoner, Typhoon, Harrier, Phaeston, Valiant, Raptor, and Piranha for instance - as well as squadmate staples such as the Krysae, Hurricane, and Scorpion. The biggest category impacted has been with assault rifles, since I've gotten used to giving my squadmates heavy hitters like the Typhoon, Harrier, Particle Rifle, and Striker. Right now Garrus and James are tooling around with non-upgraded entry-level ones (Vindicator and Mattock, respectively; I plan to upgrade them to the Valkyrie and Argus), Ash has an upgraded Revenant, and Javik is still toting alien weirdness with an upgraded Adas. Liara's been surprisingly effective with the Acolyte pistol, even though the few attempts Shep made to use it on Menae were unimpressive.

14. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Playing Adept, i.e. as biotic god, with inferior weaponry is sort of like grumbling that you've only got a bayonet to go with that portable nuclear accelerator on your back :D :D :D :D

15. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    No kidding. Just did the second Leviathan mission, where a Banshee drops in behind you. I never fired a shot - just rippled off throws to detonate Liara and Vega's Warp and Carnage attacks, along with my own Warp fields. Didn't drop it quite as fast as I would have with a Typhoon, but it still turned the critter into an exploded mess before it even got one attack off. And then there's Flare; it already does unspeakable things to large groups of unprotected targets (I have it set to deliver 600 damage and 300 N over a 9-meter radius), but what it does when used as a combo detonator for another biotic power ... what was that you said about having a nuke on your back? [face_devil]

Still ... I like to have some guns handy. Right now my adept is generally running around with an ultralight-modded Punisher SMG, an M-11 Wraith shotgun, and a scoped Carnifex pistol. With the recharge boost from his Blood Dragon armor, he gets a 150% cooldown bonus plus quite a bit of firepower.

16. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    And yet he's still not as leet as Kai Leng in cutscenes [face_devil] [face_dunno]

17. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    That last battle on Cronos Station is going to be fun though. That fight is referenced as an example of "Trash the Set" on tvtropes.org; I expect having a biotic nuclear option on hand plus Javik and EDI will work wonders.

18. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Weell, finished Omega with my adept (managed to get Aria to kiss Shep; glad it doesn't take cutting off life support to a few thousand Omega civilians for that little bit of fanservice). Either putting my sixth character in position for the last DLC release (I'd like to leave the Thessia-Horizon-Cronos-Earth sequence pretty much uninterrupted) will result in a hiatus to my major means of procrastination for the last nine months or I'll find something other way to dither about o_O

19. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, I played some MP last night ... on Silver, which was a rather rude awakening.

On the plus side, I did restrain myself long enough to get enough credits for a Spectre pack: Krysae and a Collector Sniper Rifle. Now what can I do with these little 'uns...

20. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, who knows - I might get bored enough to take up MP. I opened the character creation section up and fiddled with it a bit this evening; if I do get into MP I'm thinking my best bet might be to go with an infiltrator and have Tactical Cloak available to get me out of sticky situations. Did open up the starter pack and found out it had the M-12 Locust in it, which would at least give me a reliable mid-close backup weapon.

Not for a while though. Full week of fieldwork ahead.

21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    In passing, the Krysae is awesome in MP, at least at Bronze levels. Took it out for a spin for one mission, skipped carrying an AR and carried a Phalanx as the offhand weapon instead; I figured if I was in close combat I'd shoot at my feet and just rely on cover a lot. I don't know if what I was doing was considered kill-stealing or what have you, but I was on Firebase: Reactor against Collectors with a human inflitrator (2 of us to start with - we were joined by a Geth and Krogan a level or two into it) and I wound up coming second on kills. Drill Ammo was about the only enhanced thing I had - I seemed to have a half-decent takedown rate, only got knocked down once or twice throughout the whole thing. Drill Ammo seems a good sniper's choice since it allows me to fire further and punch through armour better.

22. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    And last I checked, the Krysae is nerfed in MP. Put it in Garrus's hands in SP - or use it yourself - and it's an utterly brutal weapon, especially with cryo ammo. It's one of the few SRs I feel comfortable leaving him equipped with in CQB situations (especially as it's death on husks). Not sure how well Drill Ammo or other AP mods would work with the Krysae; it gets the extra damage benefits but obviously not the cover-piercing. Much as it would be cool to fire that baby through a wall or riot shield and then have the round detonate, I've gotten amusing results from aiming just over the heads of Guardians. There's just a sad little shield on the ground in front of some chunky salsa ...

23. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Well I think I finally figured out how to do multiplayer. If I stare down at the ground as the shuttle arrives it seems to go to the score page so it counts. Also I have to play as soon as I turn my computer on. And it only lasts one match before it crashes again. But at least I can usually get one match in a day now.

Also unlocked the Raptor, been using it for my Turian soldier. Pretty good gun.

24. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I finished off the Rannoch 'triptych' last night (Geth Fighters + Rescue the Admiral + Destroy the Reaper Base) which I hesitate to say I found more annoying than fun for some reason. I can't pin down exactly why that was. Maybe it's just because I've never reeeeally warmed to Tali as such, or it might just be plot fatigue. One possibility was that carrying a Typhoon on the mission felt a bit awkward in parts; there's a lot of inconvenient angles in the game, and the enemy didn't mass themselves up quite as much as, say, Cerberus does allowing me to just turn on the bullet hose. Or it might just be the "spin up" cycle for the weapon; I'm seriously thinking of giving the Revenant a try instead because it's getting kind of annoying. I dunno, maybe Priority: Thessia'll be more fun.

I also identified what I think is probably a big, big element of Nightmare Fuel in the BEAWare, un-head-canoned Destroy ending after talking with Tali. See, she tells you that one of the big ways the Geth are helping the Quarians reacclimate to Rannoch is by uploading themselves into Quarian suits. They go on to simulate viruses for Quarian immune systems, which allows the Quarians to build up immune responses without having to go through the infection - a kind of mass immunisation program. This apparently will allow the Quarians to leave their suits within years rather than decades. But then, of course, there's the damn Destroy ending and its implication that it genocides the Geth as well as the Reapers. So not only have you wiped the Geth out, but you also set the Quarian cause back a few decades or so. Geeez...

On the plus side, I did the N7 "reactor" mission as well, and finally figured out how to set off a fire combo -- shoot at a Brute, hit Carnage and just watch as this mushroom cloud goes off. That was fun.

25. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah the implications of the Destroy ending are just to terrible for me to consider. It's the ultimate renegade solution. You get what you want, at the price of everybody else.

Also the Quarian missions just seemed to black and white. The geth were the absolute victims and the Quarians were the absolute aggressors. I mean if you didn't have Tali what player would not automatically side with the Geth?

And I wish there had been more to do on Thessia. We had a big deal about the Turian/Krogan/Salarian involvement and a big deal about the Geth/Quarian involvement. But with the Asari it's just one mission and your gone into endgame mode.

Also love taking Javik on the N7 reactor mission as he's the only person not wearing a helmet or oxygen mask. I guess breathing is for 'primitives'