main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Mass Effect Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    [face_shame_on_you]

I beg to differ when, even though Leng was handled poorly, such a moment as this was full of Awesomeness.

Some people believe that, but personally I doubt it. Then again, who knows, what with the Omega 4 Relay still in use by Cerberus, and perhaps whether or not you chose to preserve or destroy the base in 2 will have an effect on the mission. I'm just happy we get a 4th faction (Prothean Zombies, woo!), even if it may be confined to multiplayer.

2. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I assume the awesome part is impaling Kai Leng in the guts, but that happens anyway. The interrupt itself simply makes Shepard deflect the sword instead of dodging it.

3. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Master_Keralys likes this.
  4. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Incidentally, given all the Leviathan discussion, I thought this picture which won the ANZANG Nature Photography Competition was rather apposite...

[​IMG]

It's called "Squid School".

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge and GenAntilles like this.
  5. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    I had some buddies who ended up in the middle of a school of 30-40 pound Humboldt squid once. I was sitting topside that time; the next day I saw one right after we got in the water and we decided it wasn't the time or the place to be working. I'm sure if I'd seen the whole mob of them at close range ME3 would have invoked a few flashbacks.

Trying to decide how I want to outfit my SP engineer in terms of N7 armor components. I'm debating either loading up on shields to make her a bit more durable, cooldown bonuses to allow some more leeway in weapons selection, or power damage to make tech attacks even more devastating. I'm also wondering for my second vanguard and sentinel playthroughs whether to emphasize power cooldown/damage or cooldown/shielding, respectively. First time around on my sentinel I maxed out shielding to try and make him an unkillable tank - tech armor, 40% shield boost, 10% shield recharge bonus.

6. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Anyone else looking forward to jumping into the new MP update today? The challenge system looks to add some interesting dynamics.

7. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I don't play as much MP as I should, considering I pay for Xbox Live. But I am going to be finishing up a third ME3 playthrough within the month, which is usually when I play a lot of MP to boost my EMS score.

8. JediPrincessKas

Aug 9, 2002
    Good call. It's a fun way to get a boost to the EMS. Plus, you get to try out lots of different classes! My Shepard is a soldier, which is super fun for me in story mode. But in mp, I can't stand them. Vanguard or Sentinal for me, thanks!

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  9. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    For some reason, I can just here them say "We are the harbinger of your perfection!" :p

Played some of it yesterday. Parts of it were interesting.

First off, Collectors. Kind of reminiscent of what you see in ME2, except with "Collector Captains," which are pretty much just buffed troopers that release some sort of seeker swarm-drone-thing that does something (saps your powers, maybe? Making them recharge or something?). They also have Scions, which look nothing like the Scions in ME2, but still act as kind of an artillery piece (think a more buffed Ravager, but without the Swarmers and acid). Abominations (the red husks) make a return as well, pretty much unchanged. And then there's the Praetorians. Considering what I recall from ME2, they got nerffed for MP. Doen't seem as tough, and their eye lasers don't really track you. Finally, all of the Collector classes can be "possessed" (aka "Assuming direct control," and no, Harby does NOT say anything. What the heck, BW? Missed moment of nostalgia, much? o_O ) Other than giving them a slightly different look, and maybe increasing damage output, I'm not sure what that does.

Second, Geth and Cerberus got a new unit each (Bomber and Dragoon, respectively). The Bombers are small-ish drones that fly around and drop off grenade bombs (duh :p ), and also have some sort of stun/overload-esque attack if you get too close. They make the hacking missions a living hell though. Really don't like them. The Dragoons are pretty much Pheonix Adapt/Vanguard look-alikes that try to melee you with their yellow whips. Not terribly tough, but can be a little annoying.

I've only seen three new weapons (so far. More on that in a bit). Collector Assault rifle, Sniper rifle, and SMG. I managed to pick up both the assault rifle and SMG, but haven't tried them out yet. Got much better weapons, like my Avenger X and Harrier III. :p

No new locations were added this go-around, but 2 of the maps (Noveria and Sanctum) got re-designed slightly. Noveria has a couple more hallways, and Sanctum has a few less containers and that one small room is blocked off. 2 others, Dagger (the SETI-looking one) and Cyone (Reactor) have a "Hazard" mode. For Dagger, it's a dust storm, and all it does is mess with visability. Reacter has the... well, reactor overheat and require venting. And from what I can tell, you don't want to be caught inside it when it vents. The annoying thing about it is that you can start the venting manually with enemies inside, but they can walk through the doors like they're not even there. [face_waiting]

As for characters. All I can say is: turians. With jet packs. :cool: Well, sort of. The new turian classes (soldier and infiltrater for now) can dash around with little jet pack hops instead of leaping around like say humans or quarians do. Also, I guess there's a bunch of other charaters that are going to be released later (they showed up on the character list earlier, but I guess they weren't supposed to, as they're gone now. Hence why I'm not sure that the Collector Assualt rifle, Sniper rifle, and SMG are the only new weapons). I recall seeing a turian engineer, geth and quarian (male) soldiers, batarian and krogan (shaman) adapt, asari (huntress) and drell (marksman) infiltraters.

JediPrincessKas likes this.
  10. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, I can see why Soldier would suffer in MP; in SP adrenaline rush is your trump card for dishing out punishment and getting out of tight scrapes. Since you can't have time dilation in MP matches that takes one of your biggest edges away.

Haven't tried MP yet. First off, in SP I'm quite dependent on tactical pause. Second, not getting together for online games helps me lie to myself that I can stop playing whenever I want [face_hypnotized]

Going to take back Earth for the fifth time with my engineer either tonight or tomorrownight. I may gamble on outfitting her N7 armor for 50% cooldown reduction to allow for power spamming, an N7 Valiant V, a Harrier V, and a Locust V.

11. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Did you see you can play as a volus?!

"I am a biotic god!" :p

12. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Given what cephalopods are capable of, that isn't far-fetched. I could sure as heck imagine hearing that from one of the 50-60 pound Giant Pacific Octopuses I used to work with - they were already smart enough to climb out of the tanks, shoot out lights, and undo bolts.

13. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Mar 18, 2006
    Yikes, forget about Robot Overlords, we've got Cephalopod Overlords to worry about. :p

Yeah, admittedly I'm not a fan of that. Just seems out of place, imo. They have an adept and engineer version up now, but I'm certain I also saw a vanguard as well.

As an addendum to what I said earlier about the Hazard version of the Reactor level, either they fixed the enemies going through doors bug, or it's just something Brutes and Banshees could do, because I just fried a room full of Collectors. And it was glorious. :cool:

Also, krogan (melee) vanguard, on Silver (and higher presumably) with Collectors? You're in for a world of hurt if/when they deploy those swarms and you're stuck in the middle of a group of enemies. [face_beatup]

Master_Keralys likes this.
  14. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I just think it's awesome you can play as more races. I hope elcor are next. :p

Makes sense that the volus would be adepts and engineers. I'd probably guess they'd want to give them the Infiltrator class as well.

15. JediPrincessKas

Aug 9, 2002
    :eek: You just named two of my favorite things ever, friend. The Turians are my favorite race to play in mp. My color scheme on my characters is a bright pink with teal (I'm REALLY easy to spot. Lol!), so I can just imagine Garrus shaking his head in shame at a Turian wearing that armor.

I downloaded the new mp pack, but haven't had a chance to log in and play it yet. From what you've all said, it sounds pretty glorious. :D

I actually didn't know about the collectors coming in. Oh, that brings back ME2 memories. I'm not opposed to having new enemies in mp; changes it up a bit.

I'm also on the fence about the Volus coming in to play. I wasn't a huge fan of theirs to start, but it'll be fun to watch little round people running about on the battlefield.

16. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Mar 18, 2006
    I don't know, Garrus seems pretty chill going around in Phoenix armor in ME1... :p

[​IMG]

I picked up the turian Ghost (Infiltrator) a couple of days ago and been having a blast with him. I sometimes think I spend more time hopping around with that jet pack than running. I also love his heavy melee of hopping into the air with the jet pack, then crashing down with omni-blade extended. Really like doing that to the new Cerberus Dragoons after I use Overload on them. "Oh, you think you're so cool with your whips? Well... *zaps Dragoon with Overload, stunning it* AIR MAIL! [face_devil] "

As for volus, the problem I have is that they've never been presented as being combat capable at all (wasn't that why they allied with the turians?). An Engineer I could maybe see. But an Adept or Vanguard? I look at those and think someone saw that "Biotic God" bit back in ME2 and decided to make a parody fic about it.

17. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Haha, I had Garrus in Phoenix armor for a bit. He matched Ashley and then I got my Shepard Phoenix armor and we were all running around in pink-and-white-armor. :p

18. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, you're clearly not working with competent zookeepers. The first page in the Standard Procedures Manual For The Keeping Of Zooological Sanctuaries covers this subject.
    1. Make sure sufficient food and water are left out for all animals.
    2. Do not allow the public to feed the animals.
    3. Ensure all cages are locked at night.
    4. DO NOT GIVE THE OCTOPI ACCESS TO FIREARMS.

19. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Wait, what? You can play a Volus in ME3 multiplayer? I am possibly far too excited about that!

Oh, and Handmaiden_Yane, I don't play much ME3 multiplayer either. I just find there's something lacking with it. I'd probably play more if I could get a Volus, but that'll never happen.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    playing a Volus in multiplayer? uhhh that is odd

21. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    For me, multiplayer is repetitive unless I'm playing with friends...people I know. It can be really annoying playing with randoms.

22. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Water jet from the siphon, thankfully. An octopus .... WITH A GUN would probably give Blasto the Jellyfish a run for his money.

23. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
  24. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    If the Omega DLC is being priced at 1200 BW points, I submit that it had better be EPIC.

25. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Pft. BEAWare isn't getting one more cent out of me. Just like with Leviathan, I'll watch the highlights on YouTube.