main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Mass shooting of the week

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 10, 2014.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I'd say probably most of the shootings occurred at suburban schools.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Or Giants/Dodgers, Duke/UNC, etc.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Or under the paternal guidance of Donald Sterling.

DarthTunick likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Did you look at the map, holmes? Data says "You're wrong!"

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  6. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    in the '60s, '70s and '80s, everybody drank leaded gasoline, which caused everyone to become brain damaged. basically, everyone born before 1995 has brain damage and loves to kill. now everyone drinks unleaded gasoline, so young people have no brain damage and are thus incapable of harming anyone! therefore i can safely say to every american on this board "your MOM has brain damage" and it would be not only an insult, but a fact!

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    This thread is an embarrassing grotesque. The flippant title is an embarrassing grotesque. I appreciate its irony, but it's sickening.

8. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    First of all, I think that's the point. It's gotten to the point of absurdity, and as soon as more of us realize that, perhaps we'll mobilize to do something.

Second of all, "embarrassingly".

Juliet316 and KnightWriter like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Duke/UNC rivalry always channels my aggressive tendencies/bad side effects from the leaded gasoline.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    First of all, I know that, but that doesn't mean I appreciate or find any value in this thread whatsoever. The gun control thread holds value. This does not.

Second of all (by which I assume you mean 'secondly') , you are incorrect.

11. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    as the creature once said to dr. frankenstien:
    so sayeth the angry male millennial to society as a whole. if he cannot attain happiness, he will ensure that others share in the misery to which he condemned himself.

12. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002

But E_S, you know there are no wasteful discussions here. But seriously, mate, did you even look at the data that was used to create that map? The study does bring up some interesting points, but not in the sense that there has actually been 74 school shootings. If you want, we can look at each of the examples on that map. I'll take the first 5 listed, and continue until all are looked at.

1)Liberty Technology Magnet High School TN- After classes were dismissed, the two boys got into a fight, and one student shot the other in the thigh.

2)Eastern Florida State College FL-a fight in the parking lot from the campus, and a 24-year-old student pulled a handgun from his car and shot another student in the chest.

3)North Panola High School,MS-after a fight broke out at an after school high school football game, a15-year-old was killed by a single gunshot to the chest .

4) Chicago State University, IL- After a night basketball game between two rival high schools at Chicago State University, a fight erupted during post-game and a 17-year-old high school student was shot.

5)Lone Star College, TX- A confrontation began when two young men bumped into each other in the doorway of an academic building.

The problem with that map is that it lists any incident when a gun was used that occurs on or near school grounds as a "school shooting." (per its own criteria.) Even among this list, 4 out of the 5 occurred after school, at events where the school building was simply being used but not connected to classes and/or normal hours, or simply in proximity of. At least 3 out of the 5 incidents involved guns that were already illegal. (unknown for the other two) The Chicago incident specifically involved rival gang members in a specific geographic area within Chicago. This information is lacking among the others, but seem to suggest such. You have similar incidents in concentrated areas within Australia involving Asian gangs. If the 5T gang is involved in violence against a rival heroin gang in Australia, how is the violence categorized? What if it takes place in the parking lot of a school at 3am?

Clearly, the topic that should be addressed here is violence among young people, gang violence and why such violence is being used to solve disputes. But it's not like there have been 74 random school shootings with a connection to Sandy Hook as the title suggests. But this is not the format to actually look at the data and blah blah blah the specifics.

mikeximus likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    As an angry male millennial, I prefer to inflict misery through words.

14. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    Aw, darn, you're right on the second point. My bad, dumb read by me.

Sent from beyond the Wall

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah.... thread is kind of in poor taste. I recognize that the title is satirical and Lampoons Murica's ridiculous gun culture, etc, but it's pretty disrespectful to the victims.

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Given our collective flippant attitude over many things, it's interesting that this thread is "too much".

Point Given likes this.
  17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, I'd done this same thread before, back on the temp boards. I don't recall anyone commenting on it as above at the time, which doesn't mean anything other than the face value. Having said that, there was no satirical purpose to the thread, and it's meant to be pretty serious. There do seem to be mass shootings each week at this point, and if people are offended by a "mass shooting of the week" thread, I would say that perhaps your offense should be directed elsewhere.

I'm very open to hearing otherwise, if well stated. Just know that there was thread was intended seriously, and is nothing more than an observation of current events at the moment.

I'm also not really interested in participating in the gun control/Mr44 obfuscation thread. That's one reason that this thread exists.

18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Mr44 - that's even goddam worse. You know what happens when students fight here? Nobody gets shot.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Generally, when two students fight here, nobody gets shot either. It's an issue that should be discussed, as I indicated in my above post as well. For example, there are 680 individual public schools in Chicago. None have had shootings. According to this map, there was a shooting at night, at a campus hosting a basketball game, which involved rival gang members after the game. Is that really a school shooting? Gang violence? Street crime? It doesn't even matter what one wants to call it. It's just that it's a different topic when two members of a rival street gang are involved in violence at a basketball game which happens to take place after school in a defined geographic area. If we unpeeled the layers of each of these examples similar circumstances would be revealed in the majority of cases.

I don't care if someone is pro-gun or anti-gun or whatever either of those are supposed to mean. It's just that the US needs to have a different dialog that than simply looking at map and not exploring the why behind the data.

20. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    E_S, sorry for the double post, but this is exactly what I'm talking about:

New South Wales police are insisting Sydney is not in the middle of a gang war as they struggle to control gun violence in the city.
    So far this year there have been 72 shootings Sydney in which eight people have been killed.
    Locals are on edge after warnings the harbour city is facing an explosion in gun violence...
    http://www.australiannews.net/index.php/sid/216226469/scat/88f7d0d02bea1b33]HERE[/url]

OR

SYDNEY'S VIOLENT, WILD, WILD, WEST
    Shootings, extortion and general violence is so out of control in south-west Sydney that residents and children are seeking medical help for post-traumatic stress disorders.
    Gangs from opposing religious sects are also extorting money from restaurants in the area with at least three premises fire-bombed or shot at in the past few weeks.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sydneys-violent-wild-wild-west/story-e6freuy9-1226531752412]HERE[/url]

OR

Lebanese gangs are believed to be one of the most dangerous gangs in the world, driving up Australia's crime rate. The Sydney gang rapes were a series of gang rape attacks committed by a group of Lebanese Australian men against Australian teenage girls, as young as 14, in Sydney Australia. The crimes were described as ethnically motivated hate crimes by officials and commentators.
    http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBureaus.asp?Page=\ForeignBureaus\archive\200207\FOR20020716b.html]HERE[/url]

Those stories, taken at face value and without context, paint an extremely bleak picture of Australia's major cities. I'm sure, being a native Australian, that you could offer some context to the stories, and I'm sure that any Australian would be able to point out that incidents of violence would still be extremely rare for visitors or tourists and such. But that's the problem with simply looking at a laundry list of incidents that relate to this topic absent any context or supporting data....That's all I'm saying. You once asked me that if the US adopted Australian gun restrictions, would crime go down? I answered back that it wouldn't make a difference, and this is precisely why. Even with Australia's strict gun laws, "epidemics" of gun violence exist, because the two are not directly related.

21. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

Guns don't kill people. Schools do.

22. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006

It took me a minute to realize that was saying that eight total people had died. Those gangs must have terrible marksmanship.

In any case, you're talking about a country with 254 total homicides, of any kind, in 2012. You don't think the stricter gun laws has anything to do with that?

Ender Sai and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  23. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Quit trying to obfuscate the point.

of course only 8 people were killed out of 72 shootings. This is what the gangs use in Australia:
    [​IMG]

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  24. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    So it really only affected suicide rates?