main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Mass shooting of the week

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I just wanted to give some more background to the 254 homicides a year.

I looks to me like there has been a significant drop in the homicide rate since the gun buyback.

EDIT:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No, the issues with firearms is almost exclusive Lebanese Muslim on Lebanese Muslim gangs. Maronites are sick of them, and parts of SW Sydney have become as stabby as Hackney or Lewisham in London.

EDIT: Maybe so Eeth

3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I was going to say..... did you really just do the "I have black friends" thing? :p

6. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Argues the guy with an anal rape joke in his signature.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No I don't. You're reading it wrong.

harpua, heels1785 and Darth-Lando like this.
  8. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Come on now, E_S, you know I can't let you get off so easily. ;)

I don't recall any headlines in the US where the violence is so bad that "residents and children have to seek medical treatment for post traumatic stress disorder." That's Sydney in a nutshell, right? I'm surprised that the world famous opera house isn't riddled with bullet holes. I mean, shouldn't we all just wag our fingers at Oz? After all, children in the US don't go to PTSD counseling, they just go to the park and play. There should be no other context or explanation needed or wanted. So why can't you offer the same understanding with regard to the US? If you can offer up explanations for Sydney's violence, while marginalizing it at the same time, take some of that understanding and willingness to examine the issue and apply it to the US. Let me ask you some general discussion point questions.

1) Since Australia has such strict gun laws, where are these people getting guns to use in the violence?
    2)Since such use of guns is already illegal, why do these Australians continue to turn to violence to solve disputes?
    3)If Australia adopted US/Canadian level of gun laws, would the level of violence increase, decrease, or stay the same?

I'm pretty sure of the answers you're going to give, and my point isn't dependent on the specific replies, but the fact that the exact same answers apply to the US. That is, if one simply looks beyond a headline, because the solutions are deeper and more complex.

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Watch Arrested Development.

Tobias Funke is an analyst and therapist.... he refers to himself as an analrapist. It's a running gag that he is a closet homosexual, and he frequently makes homoerotic remarks without being aware of what he's doing. It's a really hilarious show... you should check it out.

heels1785 likes this.
  11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Got it, so it's not an anal rape joke because it's someone else's anal rape joke. Classy.

I'm glad I had that explained by someone else with a rape joke in their sig.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Get back on topic.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Sorry Dave.... didn't see your post when I made mine.

It's okay.

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Edit: My error, although the original points certainly still stand.

15. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
  16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    No, I misread the location. My error.

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    well some dude shot up some cops and a bystander an hour or so ago, but the bystander might be an accident and im not sure cops count. like, if someone robs a bank and shoots at some cops on the way out you dont call it a "mass shooting" you call it a bank robbery, right?

i mean, the cliven "ted" bundy supporters who shot up those cops in the chipotle or whatever would be considered "mass shooters" maybe because they were specifically there to shoot up cops, but the thing unfolding in cali was, most likely, someone trying to get away from the cops

18. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    in ten years, we'll probably have five school shootin's a day. see, even the popular kids are being bullied now. and you know the popular kids have a lower freakout threshold for bullying because their egos have been so massively pampered up to that point.

Point Given and Rogue_Ten like this.
  19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    This thread is still awful. It's a casual acceptance of acts that shouldn't be accepted.