main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Massive Explosion in Tianjin, China

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Aug 12, 2015.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    About seven hours ago, a large explosion occurred in the Port of Tianjin, the largest port in Northern China. As of now, the death toll stands at 13, with hundreds of people hospitalized. The number of both seems likely to grow.

The scale of the explosion is astonishing, looking at videos of the accident. According to unconfirmed reports, a fire at a gas station spread to a chemical factory. The former exploded, causing the latter to go up shortly thereafter.

Just to note that there are a few videos out there which show bodies, and one where the camera operator clearly died (it was a streaming video) so tread lightly when posting them.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    dang. I was going to say that's a huge fire, but I didn't realize that it was just the initial gas station fire there -- the explosion is crazy!

3. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Oh my goodness! That's insane! The experience of the shock of the explosion several seconds later is also, wow. I can't believe the death toll isn't higher with something of that magnitude.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The explosion is less of a risk given the area where it actually occurred would have a lower number of people in the area (i.e. it's a night). The main risk is the shockwave, which will do what's it's done here - break glass and send it flying.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That looked like the friggin' Death Star explosion, yikes.

In addition to the human casualties (which, as you note, will hopefully be small) there's also going to be a MASSIVE financial fallout -- also depending on what was in the port and may be destroyed / delayed.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Hmmm. On Xin Gang 2nd Rd (oh I missed thee, Chinese Road Naming Conventions - Endersai, Formerly of #25, Lane 4, Alley 133, Section 4 Naking E Road, Taipei Taiwan ROC), towards the east of the map, you see a TianJin DeHai Filling Station and warehouses nearby. Given the reports suggest a warehouse of chems is what exploded and given that tracking west along Xin Gang 2nd Rd until it intersects with the highway near Xin Gang park brings you to residential apartment buildings I'd hazard a rough guess that's where the fire was.

8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    OMG, i hope the 401(k)'s are ok?

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Or you know, the lost productivity this represents which affects livelihoods?

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Generally when people talk about economic fallout, it's stuff that'll result in lost wages, good shortages, economic uncertainty which has an effect on the average person.

Also, if some how 401(k)s were a victim in all this, that'd still be damaging as those are usually people's retirements.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I am actually of the view, now, that Mr Punk was being facetious.

Is this true, Mr Punk. Were you in fact 'aving a laugh?

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That's absolutey horrible to watch.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, if it materially affects shipping at the port... where do you think most of those products are going to, in all likelihood? :p

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    FTFY. E's a props geeza, innit.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oight then. Fanks bruv.

16. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    That's crazy ****. I'm pretty sure more than 13 people are dead. So many things yet to play out.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Juliet? Updates please.

vin likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Death toll now at 17.

vin likes this.
  19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    44 dead as of last report.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Up to 50 now per BBC News.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Jesus that's awful to watch.

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    And it happened around 11PM local time so a lot of people were in those homes that were destroyed.

24. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012