main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Massive would be where?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by _Vengeance_, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    While watching the preview of the two towers thing on the fellowship of the ring DVD, Peter Jackson talked about a program called Massive where you could make armies in CG and then pit them against each other (or just have them sit there and look pretty) and each CG soldier would make up his/her/it's own decisions about how it would fight. Anyone know if this prog is available to the public, and where i could get it if it is?

2. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
  3. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Well lemme just whip out my credit card here...

4. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    I read an article which said the creator of the program was interested in making versions available for free.

Commercial use would still involve a 'massive' (ahem) fee, but I think it was intended to be free for people like us :D.

Pete

5. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    well, i cant wait for it to go public, just think o' the possibilities it would give us fan-filmers?! You could have a huge battle of Sith vs. Jedi, it would great...

6. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Must have $40,000... I guess it's back to being a bounty hunter for me. (Gets Jango armor and blasters)

7. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    There is already another product like that, geared more towards games called AI Implant. Depending on your package you could also use a more standard technique like using particle systems with flocking algroithms (say using MEL in Maya), of course this requires some technical saavy. As far as the Massive free version I heard at SIGGRAPH that it would be stripped down, don't expect the whole thing you get for U$40k.

AI Implant

8. Darth Virru

Darth Virru Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2000
    Unfortunately, straight from the FAQ at www.massive.com:

Q: Is there a free version of Massive?
    A: There are no plans to make a free version of Massive.

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

EDIT: Markup codes don't like me :p

9. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Massive looked cool.

So we just typed in 'fight' and came back the next day, and our film was finished, complete with rotoscoped sabres

:p

10. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Iyidin_Kyeimo Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2000
    come back the next day????

What computer you using again Daft?

Nice to have a free non-commercial version, but I shouldn't imagine that it would be much use to anyone without a bit of a renderfarm.

11. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, I was going for the comedy angle there, guess it didn't quite fly :)

12. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    /rimshot

Pete

13. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    Not sure it even hit the backboard :(

14. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Actually it would be more or less feasable. At the ATI booth at SIGGRAPH they were showing a demo of Massive running on a FireGL. It was the shot from the first trailer of the orc army walking on a terrain. It was doing maybe a frame per second. Though it was not final render quality it was still pretty good. The next generation FireGL looked even better. heard that NVidia or other booth was also showing that Massive demo but I didn't see it.

15. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Iyidin_Kyeimo Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2000
    lol @ pete

apologies daft, I forgot the 8-}s...... [face_blush]

malducin: true and I hear that DirectX 9 can manage realtime fur, hdri and loads more with just a standard comp...

btw, WOOHOO!! this is where I found the demos of directX before..... then forgot the address before I'd finished downloading them all...

16. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Ahhh here is the report from Tom's Hardware:

ATI's FireGL X1 and Massive

As far as those ATI demos Iyidin, Isaw the Animusic, Car and natural light running on the FireGL X1. Absolutely stunning performance. There were also some fur demos not long ago someplace in the Microsoft Research webpages.

Real Time fur

17. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Daft, I was laughin so hard my eyes fell out. Don't make more jokes or I'll die!

Tae it as you will :p

~Neszis~

18. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    it mimics HDRI... no video card can do real time HDRI at this point in time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.