main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Master Dooku//Padawan Qui-Gon: Because it's all so dramatic.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Charmisjess, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AthenaLeigh

AthenaLeigh Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2004
    Yes, everybody link to their stories here. The two in my sig are Qui/Dook stories. *nods, points to Bubbles* cuteness

Oh well, I was sick of that discussion anyway. If leia doesn't mind me adapting her bunny, I'll propose a new discussion/slightly altered bunny. What would happen the first time Dooku had to kill in front of Qui-Gon? What are the circumstances? How do they both feel and what happens afterward?

2. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Feel free to do with the bunny whatever you will A. :D I'll probably try my hand on both bunnies someday. ;) Someday. :p

3. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    I completely sympathize with you there on the someday.

If you guys don't want to talk about Dooku's first kill as a Master, I thought of something else, (far too much thinking going on in my head), or we can save it.

So, might it have been to protect Qui-Gon? Would Qui-Gon be horrified, maybe even wish he had died rather than see it? Would Dooku doubt himself for not preparing his Padawan better? Or does he just take it in stride and tell Qui-Gon he must learn to live with it? How would Dooku help him do that? I'll stop rambling on with the questions now. You get the idea.

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    So, might it have been to protect Qui-Gon?

Ohhh now that would be interesting... specially if it happened when Qui was really young (11 yrs old I do believe...) since he was taken under Dooku's wing. Hrmmm now I like that idea most definitely. :D

Would Qui-Gon be horrified, maybe even wish he had died rather than see it?

Probably if he felt Dooku give into the 'thrill of the kill' maybe. Hrmmm good bunnie there.

Would Dooku doubt himself for not preparing his Padawan better?

Possibly.. I mean... what Dooku is in his late 20s early 30s when he first takes Qui...

Or does he just take it in stride and tell Qui-Gon he must learn to live with it?

Now I can see that being told to Qui later on *nod* after Qui has trouble coping with it. And Dooku get's tired of dealing with the 'mooping' Paddy.

How would Dooku help him do that?

Now that could be done several ways... talking/therapy. Relive the incident and talk him through it... or juz tell him to get over it... though I don't think Dooku would do that this early in the stage though. Especially if Qui is really young.

I'll stop rambling on with the questions now.

Why? They're great! And providing me ideas... which isn't good actually since I got 2 fics now going... hehehehehe But I'm enjoying the thoughts that enter my head at these questions :D

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    So, might it have been to protect Qui-Gon? Would Qui-Gon be horrified, maybe even wish he had died rather than see it? Would Dooku doubt himself for not preparing his Padawan better?

Lovely plot bunny. I hope someone takes it someday.... No, not me. I'm hip deep in bunnies as it is....

But I really could picture Qui-Gon being horrified and then realize that he may have to kill someday.

6. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    Heehee, Kyn, sounds good to me. Only thing I want to say is I don't think Dooku would be thrilled by killing. It would just be a matter of business. Maybe if it were to protect his Padawan, he might be pleased, but other than that it's just his duty. In fact, now I was thinking about it, I'm not sure he would ever, even as a Sith, get a thrill from it. One exception, I think Count Dooku would get a huge rush from killing Yoda. Was probably disappointed he didn't get to in AOTC. Lol, and about the rambling, I was just trying to get the conversation started, you guys are supposed to carry on and elaborate.

Lol, diane, as I was typing the questions I was seeing the scene coming together in my head. I've just filed it away for when I get to that point in my epic saga, haha, epic, it'll be a long time before it reaches those proportions. He's not even a Padawan yet.... I'll have to come back to this thread and pick up all the bunnies it's left in its wake. Oh but what fun, right, fun.

7. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Only thing I want to say is I don't think Dooku would be thrilled by killing. It would just be a matter of business.

In that, my friend, I agree. I do not thing he'd get a thrill out of killing... the power over life or death maybe but the 'actual act' nahhh...

Maybe if it were to protect his Padawan, he might be pleased, but other than that it's just his duty.

He'd be relieved more I think. Relieved that Qui didn't get hurt. *nod* Depends on the situation though I think. But yeah... I don't think he's the 'pleasure of the kill' type. Not like Anakin. You can have a power trip without KILLING. Believe me I've had this explored in one of my future chapters in my 'The First' ;) so this I know. Ain't gotta kill to get a thrill rush from the Dark Side. hehehehe

In fact, now I was thinking about it, I'm not sure he would ever, even as a Sith, get a thrill from it.

From killing, nope I don't think so either. Though unfortunately... hurting someone... I mean look at his expression when he has Obi down... or was it Anakin... well one of the times he kind'a had a 'rush' feeling but I don't think he'd been pleased afterward... no NOT at all. Shoot... I think (ACK!! Plot bunny!!! Khesting...) that if Dooku had killed Obi and left... I think he'd regret it later cuz of the memory of Qui. Welllll I could hope you know... I still believed (as you saw in my 'One Last Hope' if ya read it :D :D hehe) that he still thought of Qui and was hoping for Obi's help to overthrow Sidious and bring glory back to the Republic. Shoot even the comics show that he DOES want to overthrow Sidious cuz he now realizes that the Sith Master is not doing what he originally told Tyranus that he was gonna do. Tyranus does not want an 'Empire'.

One exception, I think Count Dooku would get a huge rush from killing Yoda. Was probably disappointed he didn't get to in AOTC.

Hehehehe that I might could believe. The Sith's advancement are known for killing their Masters to advance to 'Master' level. Sooo inadvertantly killing Yoda would 'in his opinion' achieve him the 'Sith Master' level. Hrmmm since we really don't know much about the connection with Yoda and Dooku... but I actually think it was close. Maybe not on Dooku's end but obviously on Yoda's end. Poor old troll... it was evident on the CGI's expression that he was sadden at Dooku's 'falling'.

Lol, and about the rambling, I was just trying to get the conversation started, you guys are supposed to carry on and elaborate.

*Snrk* well your questions added to the flames, M'Lady! ;)

8. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    Is that the one I said I'd read? Ack! I will, you'll know. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Yes, definitely relieved. By pleased, I meant that he had succeeded, not necessarily that he had killed. You know, he's a Jedi, failing is not an option. A touch of arrogance, pride, whatever.

Well, after Anakin I think he looks rather sad or drained, so it must be Obi-Wan, I can't recall the look at the moment though. But yeah, I can see him being upset to have killed his Padawan's Padawan.

As for the killing Yoda, I think it would be more personal. For him, maybe Yoda would signify the heart of the Jedi, the center of their problems, or just he could even feel betrayed that his Master would be part of such a 'corrupt' Order. Not sure what you mean by inadvertently though.

well your questions added to the flames, M'Lady!

I'm no lady! heehee, they add to my own bunnies too, silly things

9. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Ditto Kyn and Athena, who says we can't agree on things? ;) Now I can't wait to read those stories! :D

10. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    Oh sure, but then you get the easy post! ;) Hmm, and that is another thought: What if Dooku had killed Yoda on Geonosis? Aside from being inconceivable, heehee. I suppose Obi-Wan and Anakin wouldn't have lasted long after that.... Wow, the whole Order would fall apart without those three. Agh! too much thinking again!

11. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    plot bunny anyone? :)

And yes, I do get the easy posts don't I? :D

12. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Hrmmm him actually killing Yoda? Hrmmm dunno about that one... it definitely sounds interesting indeed. Though I still like the other bunny ;) Qui seeing Dooku kill for the first time ;) hehehe I must admit it probably is a definitely eye opening event for any Padawan to see their Master kill for the first time. They sheltered at the Temple and never really get out much. Reading things and seeing things on holonews is NOT the same as being there... feeling the feelings (or picking up on them thru the Force), hearing the sounds, smelling the scents... heavy heavy heavy!!

13. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    I need a bit of help for a story I'm working out. :)

question 1: about how old do you think Qui-Gon would have been when Obi-Wan was born (25 years prior to PM)?

question 2: any suggestions for actors that could play young Qui-Gon at this age?

sg

14. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    Well, for the first question, it depends on how old Qui-Gon was supposed to be in TPM. I guess he was supposed to be 60, about, so 60-25=*counts on finger* uh, 35. Sorry, I have no idea for the second question. I'm no good with picking out actors for roles, besides, can't see anybody but Liam playing Qui-Gon. ;)

15. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Well Qui was around 60 at TPM and Obi was 24 or 25 soooo if that helps any ;)

Actors for young Qui? *THUD* Johnny Depp? (ack... can't even see straight to think straight on how to spell the guy's name. And PLEASE PLEASE nobody mention Orlando Bloom... ack... no he COULD NEVER be a young Qui... ;) hehehe) I'll have to be more awake to participate in names of young actors... Hrmmm great idea though who could be a young Qui? (Well besides a younger Liam? *snrk* hehehe)

16. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    60? in the movies? Really? I would have guessed 50 tops. I thought it was just in the EU he was supposed to be around 60.

sg

17. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    The official novelization says Qui-Gon was 60 during TPM and so Athena's right that would put him around 35 or so when Obi-Wan was born.

I've messed around with that time period I've got some cover art my husband made of what Qui-Gon would look like as a young knight if you'd like to look at it lol.

18. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Hehehe that was a great pic too that he did Layren Hrmmm a young Dooku... =P~ who'd make a young Dooku... [face_love] Ack... R+ thoughts beginning to weave their way through my mind! Ack... I knew I should not have bought that new Highlander Romance book!!! That guy looks like a young Dooku could look like!!! Even Christopher Lee's nose... *dreamy sigh* ::Faints::

19. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    I'd love to see it Layren. As for the age, I seem to remember reading somehwhere that GL changed his age to younger when he cast Liam Neeson in the role. Can't recall where though, Sorry, I'm sure it does say that in the novelization I'm just having trouble with the idea that PM Qui-Gon is older than ANH Obi-Wan. :confused: Perhaps I'll just go ahead and make him whatever age I think he'd be. :p

sg

20. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
  21. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Thanks Layren. :)

sg

22. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    Anybody else want to weigh in on Qui-Gon seeing Dooku kill? How about this: how would it affect how Qui-Gon acts the first time Obi-Wan sees him kill? What does Qui-Gon do differently or learn from whatever happened with his own Master? Or does it just repeat? Is that the way of all Master/Padawan relationships, or do they evolve?

23. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    OK I know I typed the lil bit from the SW: Insider magazine about Jo and Dooku, but here is the book version of the 'deleted' scene from AotC with Obi and Jo:

The old woman smiled and walked past him to the bust of Count Dooku. "He has a powerful face, doesn't he?" she commented, her quiet tone taking the tension out of the meeting. "He was one of the most brilliant Jedi I have had the privilege of knowing."

"I never understood why he quit," Obi-Wan said, following Jocasta Nu's look to the bust. "Only twenty Jedi have ever left the Order."

"The Lost Twenty," Jocasta Nu said with a profound sigh. "And Count Dooku was the most recent and the most painful. No one likes to talk about it. His leaving was a great loss to the Order."

"What Happened?"

"Well, one might say he was a bit out of step with the decisions of the Council," the Archivist replied. "Much like your old Master, Qui-Gon."

Even though Obi-Wan had just been thinking the same thing, somewhat, to hear Jocasta Nu speak the words so definitively caught him off guard, and painted Qui-Gon in a more rebellious light than he had ever considered. He knew that his former Master had his moments, of course, the greatest of those being the confrontations concerning Anakin, but he had never thought of Qui-Gon as much of a rebel. Apparently, Jocasta Nu, who had her finger as squarely as anyone on the pulse of the Jedi Temple, did.

"Really?" Obi-Wan prompted, wanting the information about Dooku, of course, but also hoping to garner some insight into his old and beloved Master.

"Oh, yes, they were alike in many ways. Very individual thinkers. Idealists." She stared at the bust intently, and it seemed to Obi-Wan as if she had suddenly gone far, far away. "He was always striving to become a more powerful Jedi. He wanted to be the best. With a lightsaber, in the old style of fencing, he had no match. His knowledge of the Force was...unique. In the end, I think he left because he lost faith in the Republic. He believed that politics were corrupt..."

Jocasta Nu paused for a moment and looked at Obi-Wan, a very revealing expression that showed she did not think Dooku as out of step as many of the others apparantly did.

"And he felt that the Jedi betrayed themselves by serving the politicians," the Archivist stated.

Obi-Wan blinked, soaking in the words. He knew that many, Qui-Gon included-even himself included, at times-often felt the same way.

"He always had very high expectations of government," Jocasta Nu went on. "He disappeared for nine or ten years, then just showed up recently as the head of the separatist movement."

"Interesting," Obi-Wan remarked, looking from the bust to the Archivist. "I'm still not sure I understand."

"None of us does," Jocasta Nu replied, her serious expression melting into a warm smile. "Well, I'm sure you didn't call me over here for a history lesson. Are you having a problem, Master Kenobi?"

Then it goes into the regular script that the movie has.

Thought I'd share that lil bit with yas in case any of yas happen to not have read the AotC novel.

24. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Hm... itneresting, this actually supports the idea I've long had that Dooku actually wants to overthrow Palpy as well as the Republic and the Jedi and put himself in charge. His disenchantment with the Jedi Order and the Politicians were sort of twisted into something evil, but he is not really content to be Palpatine's right hand Sith the rest of his life either. This is why he tries to get Obi-Wan to join him in AOTC. He's actually plotting to betray Palpatine there.

sg

25. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    *Nod* and the comics support his wanting to 'off' Palpy and bring glory back to the Republic. Yep yep ;)
    He ain't evil ;) Juz misunderstood! hehehehe well actuality he wasn't evil to begin with I believe, he juz got dragged and pulled along with the 'power' surge/want and what corrupts folks in time? 'Power' Poor guy... he had the right ideas but got sidelined and re'reared wrongly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.