main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Master Filmmaking Team announced! JJ now writing the script

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Interesting and cool! Carter campaigned to get into E7 and I like the idea of marrying the old and the new with a younger designer.

2. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    In the latest issue of Total Film magazine, J.J. Abrams talks about hiring Empire Strikes Back screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan to help him rework Michael Arndt's Episode VII script.

“Working with Larry has been one of the most surreal joys of my life," Abrams says. "We've had a lot of fun working together. He's an incredible guy and an inspiring and spectacular writer."

Pro Scoundrel and Diggs like this.
  3. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Does it actually say anything about Arndt's script? If so, what are the highlights? I don't want to actually buy the magazine because I am cheap and lazy.

4. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
  5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    "How do you kill Jar Jar?" he is asked. "By any means necessary," he answers. =D=

Yeah, I think we'll be fine.

6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Agreed.
    But I sense a whinestorm approaching...

7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Well I don't doubt that JJ isn't really a Jar Jar fan, but he did pretty much admit that he was just playing to the crowd when he said that.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    The masses care not for these "rational" ideas of yours.

I'll shout and scream, I'll kill the king, I'll rail at all his production crew,
    Well, what can a poor fan do,
    Except whine on a 7SA thread,
    Cause in sleepy TFN forum,
    There's no place for a nerdraging overreaction man.

9. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Oh, yes, I'm very sure Abrams is absolutely fed to the gills with all the complaints about Jar Jar, but tough ***t; he's GOING to hear about it because this time fans will be damned if they're not going to make SURE he knows that's a no-no. If Abrams even THINKS about including the character, or even anything LIKE that character, I want all the memories of all the complaining, and all the times he's had to comment on it, to be very much on his mind.

Don't ask me to feel sympathy for these people when they have to field these complaints. It's a simple little thing called "one's chickens coming home to roost." It's natural, and it's deserved, and in a business environment where studios are getting more and more isolated from their audiences, probably the worst thing that could be done now is to put an end to the complaints; rather, fans need to keep up the pressure, particularly now. In fact, increase the pressure. The customer who complains usually gets better service; the people who keep quiet usually get more of the same, and until they do complain, that's how it will stay.

LFL alienated the fans long ago; let them reap the rewards now. Let them know that their actions have consequences.

kubricklynch and Dra--- like this.
  10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Firstly, I'd say let JJ make his own mistakes... and let him be accountable for his own choices and not the choices of other filmmakers. Secondly, don't ever listen to fans or the general public... especially those who feel compelled to offer opinions directly. :)

11. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Firstly, I'd say that such a laissez-faire attitude guarantees that Abrams WILL make mistakes, and likely huge ones. And if Abrams makes a mistake, it won't be he who truly feels it; it will be us. Abrams can always get another gig; we're going to be left with yet another cold, wet fish of a film that thrusts its faults in our faces and refuses to go away and cannot be undone. No thank you: I think I'll keep complaining for a while.

Secondly, no matter what we like to tell ourselves, this is show BUSINESS and, as in any business, what the consumer thinks about your product is important. It's a fundamental mistake on the part of ANY company, but particularly THIS one, to never listen to your fans or the general public; if you run a company, you particularly should not take the opinions of the most vocal consumers so lightly; on the contrary, they're the ones you need to pay the MOST attention to.

12. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Uh no, I like Jar Jar he cracks me up, especially on the Clone Wars. From his introduction of Gungan "conceptual art" to telling General Grievous he was a "deep thinker" without a doubt one of my favorite parts of the whole show. Don't lump all Star Wars fans together as some Jar Jar hating monolith.

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'll be honest, I don't like Jar Jar's over the top antics in TPM, but he isn't at the top of the list of things that bother me about the PT or the SE's.

14. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    It's funny that you mention his appearances on TCW, because I do sincerely believe THAT'S where he shone as a character; in fact, those two instances you mention were my top two favorites.

You'd think it makes no sense for me to feel two diametrically opposite ways about the same character strictly because of the format he's used in, but it's actually quite logical: the very reasons he didn't work in TPM, say, were the reasons he worked in TCW. In TPM, he was distracting because he was badly animated, and in fact over-animated, and this fault was particularly noticeable in an environment where every other character is played by a living person; in TCW, every character is animated, so this problem no longer even applies. The subtle differences between animated and living characters that the human eye notices are not factors if the only difference to be noticed is the difference between animated and slightly more animated.

It also helped that for TCW, the character was approached by seasoned writers who knew how to write to his strengths, rather than an atrophied writer (to say nothing of a self-confessed unskilled one) who kept misusing and over-using him in TPM. I can't shake my conviction that the character was fundamentally a mistake, but having made it, LFL did eventually find a way to make him largely work for TCW, and that accomplishment deserves to be acknowledged, even by me; but that doesn't then mean he deserves a place in the ST.

If you still want to use the character, there's certainly places to use him; Rebels springs immediately to mind. But now that there's a largely clean slate to work with for the ST, and an agenda that involves giving the fans, now divided over the PT, something new that they can unify over, what's the value in putting Jar Jar in it, even for a cameo? What they need to do now is create new characters that are themselves interesting.

15. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    Jar Jar specifically I don't mind either way coming back or not, I would love to see him as Boss of the Gungans even for a few moments but that's just me. I definitely want to see prequel aliens and races in the ST. When I compare Sebulba, Watto, Jar Jar to the rubber masked OT aliens - I think it really opened up the universe to have lots of creatures and aliens that weren't specifically human shaped with a wrinkly head or something.

16. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Evidently there's plenty of nerdrage on both sides of the Jar Jar issue.:p

Andy Wylde and Mystery Roach like this.
  17. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    However much I uncompromisingly hate Jar Jar, I'm willing to say that Rebels is a great opportunity to show an older, calmer version of the character. It may work toward somewhat redeeming him in people's eyes.
    That being said, he should not be in ST. Not just because I personally dislike him, but because I think he would serve no purpose except making a cameo of dubious quality.
    Any and all story purposes he might serve 30 years after ROTJ can (and should) be accomplished by other means.

This goes for 90% of PT characters.

T-R- likes this.
  18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

"I think he's talking about you, weequay"

[​IMG]

"Hmmmm"

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

"Since he's not talkting about us, hit it Max!"

[​IMG]

"One...two...one, two, three, four, HIT IT!"

21. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
  22. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    What Jar Jar needs to do, frankly, is to GROW UP. Even at the end of ROTS, he hasn't really gone through anything that toughens him up as a person, that forces him to do what every other character in the Saga is ultimately obliged to do: accept responsibility and mature. The simplest way to do that is to have slightly tweaked TPM to say, not that he was brought into the battle at the end essentially against his will by Boss Nass, but that he volunteered for it, that the discussion he had with Padme' in front of the window on Coruscant about people dying actually got to him somehow. We're now a long way away from that simple a fix, but essentially the same move needs to happen: Jar Jar needs to start GETTING IT; he needs to do things on purpose rather than by accident; he needs to pick up a gun, so to speak; he needs to become a proactive, rather than a reactive, character.

Rebels at least allows for this possibility because the times demand that he CAN'T just be silly-funny anymore. He has real work to do now: he has to become the leader of a Rebel cell on Naboo, working in secret with Bail Organa and the like; or he has to become a beloved Imperial senator who's arrest sparks an uprising or something; or he needs to be a noble martyr sacrificing himself for the cause; essentially, what he needs to do is get some skin in the game. Because that was the one thing that truly made him not work: in the PT, Jar Jar was present, but he wasn't there, and all his antics neither added to nor detracted from the larger proceedings going on right in front of him. What he needs to do is actually NOTICE what's going on in front of him, and act. Granted, his Gungan performance art skit in TCW actually WAS him getting involved, in his own very unusual sort of way - but he needs to do so in a way that needs no such qualifiers, no "in his own ways," no "sort ofs."

The reason is simple: it's a lot harder to denounce a character as a modern-day Stepin Fetchit if he's actually participating, actively involved in a way we can respect, rather than just juggling things. Imagine if Stepin Fetchit, after a lifetime of being a whipping boy and nothing but comedy relief, at last resolved no longer to be thus, and stood proudly, defiantly, and demanded respect. And then actually EARNED it. A fantastic story arc - or even a number of arcs - can be derived from that one idea if done properly. I understand what you meant by him redeeming himself in the eyes of the audience, but I'm not going to say he needs redeeming; what he does need is retooling. Rebels is the best place for that; the ST can't be that place.

The one thing that's certain is that Abrams is saying that GETS THAT: such missteps are not going to be just ignored this time out. He understands that his responsibility is to provide the audience with new and likeable characters that are fit for THIS time and place in the Saga, not that of seventy or eighty years in the PAST of the Saga.

TKT, Artoo-Dion and Mystery_Roach like this.
  23. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    One thing JJ understands, the fans will only accept Yuzzum's on sticks...
    [​IMG]

Andy Wylde, Krueger and T-R- like this.
  24. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    They won't bring back Jar Jar in the ST. We may get a Gungan extra or two but that would be about it I reckon.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  25. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    If you listen to fans you end up with Snakes On A Plane... or other such crud. Which consumers do you listen to? The ones who want something more 'serious' or the ones who want something more 'fun'? Even the Star Wars fans here have polarising views on what works/what doesn't. Besides, if it is purely about BUSINESS then perhaps JJ should just make and shape the ST in the style of the prequels... given that they made a humungous amount of cash.

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.