main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Masters and Padawans -- Creating a 'mission statement'

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by greencat336, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Well, it seems that the idea of having a Padawan has really taken off. I think it would be a good idea to create sort of a 'mission statement' to express the general guidelines and ideals of the Master/Padawan relationship. I was going to just PM this to those who have taken a Padawan already, but I decided that this would be better. Not only would I only have to type this once (lazy, lazy ;) ) but we could also have input from everybody. I'd like to have a general statement written up for Sunday's meeting.

Here's an unedited, cut & paste of what has been said so far (from BDP and me). What I'm hoping for is that others will throw in their two cents about the direction the Master/Padawan thing should take, then around Friday I'll make a summary, post it, then take a printout (with any revisions) to Sunday's meeting.

Well, what say you?

From BDP:

The Jedi Padawn Society.

The JPS would be like a "Big Brothers, Big Sisters" group, within our roster. It would allow all members age 21 or older to take on a Padawan, who would be between the ages of 10 and 18. It would be almost a mentor program. The way it would work is like so:

If under 18, the Padawn-to-be is required to introduce their "Jedi Master" to their parents or legal guardian. Once the parents/guardians are satisfied with the child's mentor, said mentor would be responsible for taking the Padawan to meetings, events, and the like. Also, the "Jedi Master" would be responsible to be well-behaved around their padawan, and try to set a good example, esp. if the child is very young. Also, when getting costumes made, it would be a nice touch to get matching Jedi costumes for Master and Padawan for meetings and the like.

I know Tony has already talked of taking Corran as his Padawan, whereas I've taken Saberpilot... this could be a fun and productive way to cultivate younger fans, while showing the community that Star Wars fans are indeed good for something.

The other suggestion I had was this:

If this works out, make it that you may keep a padawan until they turn 20, at which time they become a "Jedi Knight". Once they become 21, they may take on a Padawan of their own. Once you take on a Padawan, you become an official Jedi Master.

From GC:

The role of the Master -- Make sure the Padawan gets to Fanforce activities. At Fanforce activities, 'safeguard' Padawan (acknowledging that a teen can cross the street by herself, but it still nice to have someone keep an eye out to make sure no nasty strangers are waiting on the other side). Teach Padawan anything she is interested in learning about SW Universe or anything else (can't help it. I'm a teacher. Its not just a job, its a calling.) Be in general a positive influence on Padawan . . .

The role of the Padawan -- Give Master a new point of view on the SW universe and anything else that comes along("The best Master-Apprentice relationships are when the apprentice can also teach the master.") Obey Master (not blindly, but same as any other respected authority figure), Be interested in learning what Master has to teach about SW universe. Be in general, a positive influence on Master . . .

Also, the Master would be required to get Child abuse/criminal clearances (at their own expense)

2. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    hehehe where have i heard the last part of that post before??? I like it, the whole thing.

3. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I dunno about this, but something to adopt (perhaps later) might be a permission slip thing. I saw that in Atlanta, they do that with their underage members so that they are not responsible if anything goes wrong.

Now, that is not the idea I was going with. I think an idea might be that a master and padawan could sign perhaps this mission statement, and it'd be like a small 'contract' so that if either padawan or master breaks any rules, they could come back to this. I don't think we'd run into this, but I just thought I'd put in my two cents. I really like what's here so far.

4. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    I think perhaps not signing a document,but going on an honor system (unless situations are drastic and calling for a signed doc).It would work for the best if Masters chose their Padawans according to each others interests,as I have with Tom-we're both into props & costumes,BUT this most definately is not a necessity (sp?).As far as a writen statement? I'm thinking it would not be nessacery (sp?),but that's the old fashioned side of me(hey...i'm an old guy,so I can be old fashioned).As for Masters & Padawans dressing alike?Nah, "After a padawan is chosen he/she is free to choose what they will wear" Definately leaves room for variety.

5. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    ^_^ Didn't think of that. I was just suggesting something I'd seen on another board. But you're probably right in that respect, we'd probably never need it.

6. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I'd have to agree with Jedi_1966.

Written forms seem overboard. Clearences are way to much.

This is a hobby for fun. All that paperwork makes NOT so fun. I understand in this day and age but maybe just having the Master meet the parents, (in my case the parents would meet myself and my fiancee) is a better idea. Getting clearences just doesn't say enough like a face to face meeting would.

Watch words like OBEY. Again this is for fun. Let's not get to out of hand. We (the adults/Masters should not feel like we have power over the "younglings". They are their own person and have rights and their own ideas. I think this should just be a friendship. I for one don't want to be some kid's "alternate parent."

I would be more than happy to give the padawan a ride to FF events and teach them about my knowledge in SW and my more specific areas such as figure customization, prop building, diorama building and such. But to keep the padawan in line, treads to close to being a parent. that is the padawans "real" parents job.

Let's keep this simple and fun and not get wrapped up in the "legalities" of things.

7. jedi_1966

Oct 31, 2001
    In mentioning the "big brothers/sisters" -like idea,i would agree with the idea of keeping a padawan out of trouble or in their place...to a point.But,concerning the folks I've met so far within our FF,I don't see this step as having to be taken,but I personally would take it ,to a point,if needed.
    It's kinda like Big Daddy said,I see this group as an extension of my family,and I do hope to,as we go along the path the FORCE guides us along,become very close friends with each of our members.I've waited 20 some years to be involved in a group like this,so "Mesa willin ta do mesa part."

8. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    You guys are right. I trust anyone here as a family member, and it's probably better to keep it fun and legality-free than the opposing idea. ^_^

9. jedi_1966

Oct 31, 2001
    Yes,this is my thinking.I mean,don't get me wrong guys,I really like the idea BUT,I really would not like to see this (not just this thread but the FF as a whole and the things we'll do as a FF) FanForce be tainted and twisted by politics(GC knows where I stand).My previous hobby,of 12 yrs,i'm no longer involved in was SEROIUSLY corrupted by internal (& external)politics,which is why I am no longer involved.No one in our FF portrays a politician as jedi are not politicians.

10. corran_16201

corran_16201 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2000
    I agree we don't need no stinking politics

But to make one thing clear I AM NOT growing that pig tail thingee padawans have.

11. karateyoda17

karateyoda17 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    To make one thing clear for my buddy MetalliJedi.....im going sith baby! [face_devil] ;) Or heck, can I atleast be alittle evil.....atleast a red saber? As for missions, how about the masters will assign maybe tasks like little fun things. Maybe like go find some new figures, or get new cards and play the game, or read a SW book, or play board games. Heck, maybe we could even have toy saber battles like fencing! That would be fun IMO!!! Also so they masters dont get bored maybe they can get missions or little tasks too to do like battle sith lords with there padawan like the fencing like thing I mantioned above. There are cheap sabers EVERYWHERE.There is the more expencive kind ALA Obi/Dooku/Anakin EP1 electronic ones that are I think 10 or 15 bucks and some people still have say the EP1 and original trilogy sabers too like Mauls/Quis/Lukes/Vaders electronic ones also. Then there is the ultra cheap none electronic ones that come in 2 hilts (Qui Gons and Obis EP1 hilt) and 4 different colors which are green,blue,purple and red and cost about 6 bucks! Finally when a master believes his/her padawan is ready to become a jedi knight then they must face the trials, which would be pretty much SW trivia, I would imagine! What do you guys think?

12. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    The trials should most definitely consist of trivia but how about adding: make your own lightsaber. This was one of the tasks that a padawan had to accomplosh before he/she/it could move to another level, also commitment to the group and willingness help out with outing such as the upcoming picnic would be taken into account. This way the padawan isn't just grilled on their SW knowledge but has shown that they are a commited upstanding person. This is the true mark or a JEDI.

What do you think?

13. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    ^_^ That sounds like a great idea! My master has already given me small missions here & there. :)

14. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    yeah to be a padawan missions are necessary.

15. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    Like security missions. ~_^ or.. name the pilot. :)

16. jedi_1966

Oct 31, 2001
    Trials should ultimately be decided by the council as to their content.Since none of our padawans is very near their time of trails,these won't have to be decided on hurriedly nor brashly.And yes they most definately should include completing one's own lightsaber as well as an upstandingness(?)both within and outwardly.Also to touch on GC's points of Masters influencing Padawans as well as Padawans influencing their Masters,it should work both ways,as the Force always does...

17. karateyoda17

Jul 9, 2002
    Can we fight with sabers too??? That would be so much fun to buy like 50 toy sabers and fight with um all!

18. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    It would be neat to have some lightsaber training.. ^_^ Maybe that's something that could be taught either individually (master/padawan) or perhaps as a group, like Yoda does.. ?

19. jedi_1966

Oct 31, 2001
    Oh yes,this will be something we will work on both as a group and in pairs.How about at the FF picnic?

20. corran_16201

Nov 28, 2000
    Trials? Cool idea but I um already have a lightsaber a couple acutally. Bulid a new one like right before I turn 18?

As for lightsaber fencing. I've been looking at the saber forms mentioned in the visual dictionary and the exercies mentioned in it and other novels. It kinda comes easy after 4 yrs as a martial artist and 6 months as a black belt. Just figuring out how to explain it to others thats the trick.

21. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    O.O you take martial arts?? ^_^ what style? I've been training 5 years in Tang Soo Do. And what book is this that you picked up? I've heard a lot about it, but no one's given a title.

22. karateyoda17

Jul 9, 2002
    Whitney, its the EP2 Visual Dictionary. Iin the back of the book it has like 2 or 3 pages that talk about lightsaber technics and fighting stances. Its actually pretty cool. It has Jango Fett on the cover.

23. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    Thanks, Max. I'll have to look it up then. ^_^

24. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    The Jedi '66s had a good suggestion (while we were out after seeing K-19). They thought that before being a Master, a person should have to have been an active member of SCJK for at least one year. Active being defined as coming to many of the face to face meetings and outings and not just posting on the boards.

Um, most of the current masters will be 'grandfathered' in, of course ;)

I would also like to suggest that part of the trials (or even just as a standard 'mission) would be for the padawan, working alone or with other padawans (no knights or masters) to plan and carry out a FanForce activity.

25. corran_16201

Nov 28, 2000
    You train in Tang Soo Do too Saberpilot. under the CS Kim group? Cool!

I'm using the Visual Dictionary and I,Jedi with the ring idea it had

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.