main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Masters of Science Fiction

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Anyone catch the news that ABC has green lit a series called Masters of Science Fiction? Starting off with 13 one hour episodes, classic authors and stories will be adapted for this show.

From the SciFiWire:

Writing Sparks Masters Of SF

Producers of ABC's upcoming Masters of Science Fiction anthology series told SCI FI Wire that they don't fear any censorship by the network. They said this series will focus more on big name genre writers rather than directors, unlike their Showtime series Masters of Horror.

"The Masters of Horror series is all about the directors," John W. Hyde of Industry Entertainment, which produces Science Fiction, said in an interview. "They are the stars. In the Masters of Science Fiction, it's really the writers who are the stars. That's the difference between them. We are focusing on the biggest name science fiction writers."

The series will feature episodes based on writing by such SF masters as Robert A. Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Harlan Ellison and Isaac Asimov. (ABC has given the gree light to 13 one-hour episodes.) Some are original stories; some are adaptations of older classics to attract younger audiences. The first segment, "Watchbird," will begin filming in Vancouver, Canada, in late April, directed by Michael Tolkin (The Rapture) and co-written by Michael Cassutt (who wrote for The Dead Zone and Andromeda) and J. Michael Straczynski (Bablyon 5). "One of the people I'm most excited about who is going to be involved with this [new] series is Stephen Hawking [the professor, writer and black holes expert], and I always thought that I wanted to meet him," Hyde said. "He's a visionary of our time."

Executive producer Keith Addis added that it's unlikely any episodes will run afoul of network censors, as did an episode of Masters of Horror. "We're not pushing the envelope with the language or the graphic images or the sexuality, like the horror genre wants to do," he said. "Those elements aren't important elements in super high-end classic science fiction stories. Isaac Asimov was never really censored. Robert Heinlein never really provoked Bill O'Reilly. Procter & Gamble never really got pissed off at Ray Bradbury. These are really smart guys. Their ideas are bold, and some of these ideas are out there. ABC told us to get as bold as we can get. Will the network be afraid of those ideas? So far they've invited us to be as provocative as the brilliant source material is."

Not all directors are lined up yet, but producer Amorette James from IDT Entertainment said that the producers are considering big-name helmers, as well as young new talent. "We want the group to include the well-established, as well as give an opportunity for new talent to be part of this great franchise," she said. "The buzz on the Horror series is good, so that will help." Could they be approaching superstar names like Steven Spielberg and George Lucas? "From your lips to God's ears," James said.

What do you think? Any ideas on what stories should be adapted?

2. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Like I said in the Amp. thread, I don't have high hopes. Masters of Horror started off strong, but the last 3 or 4 episodes I've seen (pretty much every one I've seen since the "Deer Woman" episode) have been of about the same quality, writing wise, as bad college short fiction, and seem to mainly focus on the shocking use of boobs. Of course, since the writing is the key difference, who knows.

3. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm hoping that since they're focusing on stories that have been around for a while and are already recognized, we'll get something good. As they mentioned for the Horror ones, they focused more on directors.

4. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I just read from JMS that he'll be writing and I'm quite psyched!

Edit: Does anyone know when it will start?

5. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    JMS should get an episode devoted to him!

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    He's an excellent writer. I'm wondering who else is on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.