Arena Match fixing in sports. How prevelant is it?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by rechedelphar, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Today tennis pro Daniel Kollerer(known for his crazy on court antics) was banned for life from the sport for match fixing. He is the first tennis pro to found guilty of such a charge, though many have been heavily suspected. There are some tennis betting experts I know who insist that 30% of the players ranked 20-150 have fixed a match at some point. Chela,Tipsarevic,Dolgopolov,Volandri and Davydenko have all been widely acused, with strong evidence supporting to back the claims up.

An individual sport like tennis,boxing or gold are much easier to fix than team sports but how much does it still happen in team sports? The whole Juventus Italian soccer scandal in the mid 00's shook the sports world up. There have been point shaving scandals at Tuland and recently at San Diego men's basketball.

Do you beleive match fixing is prevelant in sports? It is growing/declining or no way to tell? Should each respective league do more to sniff out and exterminate any fixing that may be going on? Do you have personal beliefs based on anything you have seen?

I'd like to hear some opinions on this
  2. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It certainly happened in baseball...*Shoeless Joe*
  3. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    DO NOT SPEAK ILL OF SHOELESS JOE JACKSON
  4. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Honestly, I've never understood match fixing. Most professional athletes are too competitive to easily picture them fixing a match.

I certainly think steps should be taken to end/prevent it, but I don't think its terribly common in most sports, at least among the players. Easier to see it among some officials, though I still don't think that happens too often.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.