main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Matching Film to Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Riv4, May 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riv4

Riv4 Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    Has anyone seen AoTC enough to be able to start to put together a kind of "match-up" between where cues on the soundtrack go in the actual film?

I know many of the track titles seem obvious, but I know from previous releases (any non- "Ultimate Edition" version, that is), they aren't always what they say they are. And others, like "Anakin and Padme" could go just about anywhere, or not anywhere at all (i.e.- could be a concert suite, like the original "Luke and Leia" suite from ROTJ).

I have to say, like many other people, I was supremely disappointed with the extensive re-use of complete cues from TPM, but I'm curious as to how much of the soundtrack actually made it into the film.

I'm also really curious to find out just if any of that great percussion from Track 12 made it's way into the film in any way. It'd be a horrible shame if it didn't, as I've grown to love that while listening to the CD. (Since I waited to listen to the soundtrack till after I'd seen the film, I wasn't able to note it as I watched the movie).

Riv

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    All of track 12 is in the film, at least I swear it is after seeing it 3 times.. :D

3. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I've seen it twice but I listened carefully. I can remember a lot of Track 12 if not all.

OK the beginning of Track 12 coincides with when Ani and Padme declare their love before entering the arena.

Then when Obi-Wan and Ani are on the gunship after having lost Padme, when he asks Ani what Padme would do in that situation, the Force theme from that track comes in.

OK, Track 13 (the best). Begins when the Solar Sailer flies to Coruscant, however it's not right from the start of the track.
    Anyway it then goes into an unreleased Emperor's Theme, and then back to the solo soprano voice as Sidious and Dooku leave the screen.

The track then continues its course as Mace, Yoda and Obi-Wan discuss things in the Council, and beautifully the Clones boarding ships coincides with the best Imperial March rendition ever. And then the best ATS rendition sums up the wedding. Onto the credits, where they use the stinky concert suite version of ATS. Boo.

I'll let other people do the rest.

4. JonathonVandergriff

JonathonVandergriff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2000
    It's odd. Most of the cues are unaltered, or only have a couple of edits. While I don't prefer John Williams at all, his method for scoring Episode II was MUCH better than Episode I. In Episode I pieces were obviously written and recorded how they appeared on the original soundtrack but were ripped apart with editing when the film was put together. Not a really good way to score a film in my opinion, cause all of the synch with the action (which is all film music is about!) didn't seem cohesive.

Episode II seems to have some very basic tracks that can be repeated many times, and were written expressly for that purpose.

5. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    All of the soundtrack we've heard is in the film. During the final battle there is about a minute and a half to two minutes of TPM music that seems to fit AOTC better than TPM itself.

6. Riv4

Riv4 Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002

Check out this link for a complete breakdown of all the music used in the movie:

http://jwfan.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

As it turns out, the total amount of TPM music comes out to be around 20 MINUTES WORTH!

Man....

Riv

7. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    That's nothing new though, music has always been reused close to that amount. However, there is about 2 minutes of CONSTANT TPM music in the final battle.

8. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Um, that's not all, dude. Just read this analysis the guy linked to.

9. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    Why do I need to read an analysis? I've seen the movie several times and have timed it myself.

10. Carbonite

Carbonite Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2001
    "Your over confidence is your weakness..."

There is in fact a lot more than a couple of minutes of "Phantom Menace" music in the "Attack of the Clones" final battle. Perhaps you need to see it a few more times, with a more accurate stopwatch!

11. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, that's what I was saying. :p

12. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    Well, hey, maybe I'm seeing a different movie than you guys. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.