main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maternity/Nursing Costume Idea Help

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by yaddel, Apr 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yaddel

yaddel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Hi all, I am already planning ahead for Celebration 3, and I might need a maternity costume, it would be great to make one that Padme will wear in the movie, however, I could also use some ideas on which costume would be good for a nursing mommy, if I am not pregnant I will probably be nursing, and I would love to go in costume! My Jedi cloak is perfect right now because I can hide my entire baby under that thing! Thanks in advance :)

2. ZamIAm

ZamIAm Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    LOL we were planning the same thing at our house, Trying to plan having kids before or after Celebration 3! :D I thought I was the only one! But realistically, I can't be a pregnant zam. So, we're hoping to have a kid next year. And me work off the lbs before C3 happens.

3. yaddel

May 19, 2002
    Wow I'm so glad I am not alone! Zam, we are planning the exact same thing, it will be much easier if I am not pregnant, but I want to be prepared just in case, either way, I do think I would probably still be nursing, the great thing about Jedi clothes is that they do hide my poochy tummy well!

4. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    LOL I'm too young to seriously be thinking about being pregnant for C3, but when I am, I will definitely do one of Padme's outfits and hopefully attend some cons in it. I don't have anything constructive to add, I just think it's interesting that others have been thinking about it besides me ;)

5. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    you know, believe it or not, the rainbow dress would be good for nursing...it has several hanging folds in the front, allowing for a discreet slit opening hidden for quick nursing, and you could have a colorful shoulder wrap( I know, no really from the movie, but a mommies got to do what she has to!)to hide the infant while eating.
    The poncho costume would also allow for discreet nursing under the poncho...it may be too warm, though, but again, the slit could be hidden...

6. ZamIAm

Oct 22, 2002
    :D So what if we had summer kids next year, then we wouldn't be nursing by c3 right? I thought it was a 1 year tops sorta thing. Man, I am such an "on the go" kinda person, my poor future kid.
    Anyways, padme dress seems perfect. Tusken raider wifee, could do too. Only, you'd have to make sure you could see outta the thing.

7. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Special points go to anyone who gives birth during C3 and names their child Luke or Leia. Extra points if you have twins :D

Something like that should earn the winning mother digital insertion as an extra in the SW film of their choice :p

8. yaddel

May 19, 2002
    Well if I have a boy next time I am going to name him Anakin, yeah everyone thinks I am nuts, but I have loved the name since I first heard it back in the early 80's :) Thanks for dress idea's I can't wait to get started, I think I might have to try and get one made, or make one, in time for Halloween this year!

9. ZamIAm

Oct 22, 2002
    Hehe, that would be funny to name our future kid Luke, cause my husband has an outstanding vader costume and it's a biblical name. But, I don't think we will put him/her through that. Oh, we can't do the twins thing, we aren't twin prone in our family :D Thank God!

10. MiealDeneb

MiealDeneb Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2003
    Yaddel, I am thinking along those lines as well! I hope to have a little Padder before C3, but who knows #2 could be on the way??? My sister-in-law was about 6 months pregnant at C2. She created the refuge Padme costume (the one she wears when she & Anakin leave Coruscant). The costume is roomy enough to "hide" the belly. Or, just about any Amidala costume from E1 would hide a belly. But, keep in mind that if you are very pregnant or nursing, you'll not want to have anything very heavy or cumbersome or you'll tire very quickly. And above all: wear COMFORTABLE shoes! ^_~

Good luck to all who are planning on little ones. I know my husband and I are very eager to start our family. :)

11. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Lol!
    I am thinking of naming my first son Owen- I liked that name since before I started getting into Star Wars, so it's an added bonus. I wonder how many people have named their kids Anakin since Ep1 came out? I noticed that on those "Most Popular Baby Names" lists that there are several movie-inspired names moving up the list- Logan (X-Men) and Trinity (Matrix) sticking out the most in my head.

For C2 I wanted to be a pregnant Jedi (for the costume, not in real life) but my husband said he'd refuse to walk around with me if I did it.

12. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    Hi everyone! I have had and nursed two babies...first of all, I want to congrat you on your decision to nurse your baby...so many women nowadays do not take the time to do that-it is really best for them.
    Second...as far as maternity or nursing costumes...the first thing I would suggest that you check out are some clothing companies online that sell patterns for nursing clothes-there is one in particular, but I cannot think of the name right offhand...punch in nursing clothing patterns and see what comes up...get a few patterns and see how the clothing are put together...some have slits, others have snaps...I personally liked the ones that had like a double layer top-where you lifted up the top layer and the slit was in the underneath layer-the top layer can be used like a drape to cover any exposed skin. You can use the patterns to make your own tops, and then to use the concepts in constructing your own costume.
    I think a variation of the Tatooine poncho outfit could be made with the double layer nursing access I just spoke about-plus, it is loose fitting and comfortable-with a breezy gauze skirt-and roomy enough for maternity and nursing. (If you have a good sense of humor-you could always do the Yarna, the dancer at Jabba's with the 6 breasts when you are nursing...ha ha ha)
    The burgandy/violet and antique gold refugee outfit would also be a great choice for maternity or nursing...as well as the Padme EpI. Tatooine handmaiden outfit for nursing-comfy and basic.
    I also found that at CII, that several fan club members used the private fan club lounge to nurse their infants. It was much quieter and less congested with people in there, and the mother could sit and rest for a little while-with only a handful of people around. I popped in there quite a few times to take off cumbersome pieces of costume and to rest for a few minutes.
    I bellydance as well, and am in the process of making a costume for my teacher who is expecting...so I am familiar with what you are going through.
    Good luck on your hopefully upcoming bundle...
    QS

13. yaddel

May 19, 2002
    Queenseamstress thanks so much for the extra nursing info! I am going to try my hand at the costumes, however, after reading all the wonderful responses and advice, I think I may have no costume at all! I have an 18 month old who is nursing now, and if I have a second new baby, or am pregnant, there is no way I will be able to handle any kind of costume for myself, I may just go with the Handmaiden one you suggested, what a good idea, a simple dress! Well not so simple to make, but simple to wear :) I do actually have a handmaiden cloak now, and I could always wear that while pregnant, now the other big question, I never thought of this but, how hot was it at C2? Was it hot inside as well as outside? That will be really important, especially for thoes of us who are pregnant :) Thanks again everyone!

14. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    Ahh yes...the company that sells nursing clothes patterns is called Elizabeth Lee Designs...check out their site.
    I didn't think that it was too hot inside at CII...they had the central air running...the only places it was REALLY hot were in obviously congested areas...like the line to see Carrie Fisher and the line to get the concert tickets...otherwise it wasn't too bad...
    Another option would be to wear your jedi costume, with a simple white, black, or tan nursing tank top underneath that-which they sell online at about any nursing and maternity store-Motherhood maternity sells them pretty cheaply, and you can use your outer tunic to cover up the baby and yourself.
    A Shmi Skywalker outfit or general Tatooine slave/commoner outfit, or a Mon Mothma would also be very comfy and roomy...or a Princess Leia ANH gown made with hidden slits or a flap...use your imagination, and kiss your little one for me!
    QS

15. MonaLeia

MonaLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2003
    Hello! I don't sew or anything and I have never really posted around here but I thought of something and I don't know if it will end up working but I thought I would add my two cents...

Padmé will be pregnant during Episode III. Maybe you can get your hands on pictures in advance that could work out for you. I don't know much about pictures leaking - I was spoiler free for Episodes I and II - but perhaps it can be done!

Either way, good luck!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.