main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Matrix Reloaded?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jack_T_Chance, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Val, I've heard of the Uptown before. That was supposedly the theatre that the DCFF was supposed to coamp out at for AOTC, but that was before the GS was formed. I just never knew where it was or how to get there.

Muvico Egyptian 24 is a nice theatre. I don't know that I would call it a 5 star theatre or anything, but it is one of the best in Maryland. I just really cringe at parking there. Parking anywhere at Arundel Mills is just horrid anyway, but you add to that parking to go see a movie, and its phenominally worse. Add the most anticipated movie of the decade on top of all of that, and parking becomes non-existent. The theatre I was normally going to before I joined up with DC was the Crown theatre at the Annapolis Mall. It is a licensed THX theatre and the standard stadium seating. It doesn't have the extensive offering of food as does Muvico, but I've never wanted more than soda and popcorn anyway.

2. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    The Uptown is a nice theatre, but I'm not in love with it the way some people are. I have talked to a lot of people who will only go to a movie if it is at the Uptown. Since the Uptown only shows one movie, they must not go to a lot of movies. I do try to catch the Star Wars movies there, but it is not the first place I will go to see it. I will wait till the movie has been out a couple of weeks, and then catch it at the Uptown.

My theatre of choice is Potomac Yards. However, the theatres at Ballston Mall get a lot of business because I can walk there. Also, they are newer theatres.

3. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    yeah the Uptown is nice but I don't go out of my way to see a movie there. I really like Hoyts Manassas or Potomac Yards best. but really I will see a movie wherever. Even Potomac Mills. Valerie hates that theater. I just want to see Matrix, don't care where.

4. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    I am more picky about theatres. I *hate* Potomac Mills and Springfield Mall. I will not go there unless I absolutely have to. I prefer Potomac Yards or Hoffman Center. The Uptown is nice, but I've only been there once (I think). I always mean to go there to see movies, but never get around to it.

5. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    MuttandSolo, I used to go to the Annapolis Mall cinema, too. I liked it for awhile, because their twilight shows (final showtime before 6 PM) have one of the lowest ticket prices around, like $4 or less per ticket. :cool:
    Plus, they have the distinction of being the ONLY theater in MD with a Texas Instruments Digital Light Projection system! :D
    Yeah, I know, there are better digital projection systems out there that put the DLP system to shame. The point is, they're the ONLY theater in MD that I could see the digital version of Attack of the Clones at, so I give them their props for that. :)
    Only problems are as follows:
    1) I emailed Crown Theatres to find out if either X-Men 2 or The Matrix Reloaded would be playing there in the digital format. The reply was that neither would be, because they didn't believe the movie studios were releasing digital versions of the films. :(
    2) There are 2 Crown Theatres locations in Annapolis: The one at the mall, and the one at the Harbor Place shopping center. The one at Harbor Place is older and therefore not as good as the one in the mall. But for a lot of really good movies, Crown keeps sticking them over in the one at Harbor Place. :(

6. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Yeah, I have noticed that they stick Harbor Place with a lot of good movies. Dreamcatcher is one example of a good movie that got stuck in the Harbor Place instead of showing at the mall. Especially, since it had the Animatrix episode, "Final Flight of the Osirus" with the movie.

The problem with digital projection is that only George Lucas is filming in digital, everyone else is still using film. Even if they were to issue a digital format of their movie, its not going to be any sharper in picture than a first-run reel of the film. This is why the scarce number of theatres that have digital projection. The Movie Theatre Owner's organization is not going to just bow to one movie maker alone.

Even Spielberg refuses to use digital cameras for filming Indy 4, but George is still pushing him to do it. We will have to wait and see who wins.

7. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    M&S, you bring up a good point, marred only by one little oversight:
    Lucas is NOT the only one putting out pure digital product;
    Pixar Studios is also creating purely digital movies. It's pretty easy to do when the entire thing is animated inside a computer! ^_^
    That's why on the DVD and TV releases, they actually reformat the image to the appropriate aspect ratio WITHOUT losing anything from the picture. They just go into the computer, reset the ratio, and produce a new master... it's pretty cool. Very different from the traditional Pan & Scam process. ;) :cool:
    So, their more recent films have been released digitally as well.
    Which reminds me...
    Crown Theatres updated the website for the Annapolis Mall cinema. The next film showing in DLP is, predictably enough, Pixar's Finding Nemo, which opens May 30th. :cool:
    Also, Disney's Treasure Planet was released in DLP. I remember seeing on their website that it was showing there. :)

8. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Yeah, I guess I forgot out Pixar. That would be a good candidate for showing in Digital....

9. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    2 more days.... only 2 more days! :D
    I can't wait! :D
    BTW, if anyone needs an appropriate trench for the premiere and is short on time and/or funds, check out Hot Topic's selection of coats inspired by The Matrix Reloaded! :D
    All are under $80 US....
    reasonable accuracy, for the price. :cool:
    And hopefully in-stock now at area Hot Topic locations... which is something that I'll verify tomorrow. :)

10. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Bumping this up for serious coordination of a group showing...

Where's our Event Coordinator and can she and Ken go wih us this time? I can gor for either Friday night or Saturday night. We can go to a late Saturday night show if it works better for you, Eugenia.

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Uptown is an excellent cinema, and its 2 metro stops from my house. I am going to see Matrix on saturday night with my housemates. I promised I'd go with them. We're going to the Regal in Rockville, which is perhaps the best threatre in the area.

malkie

12. fakename99

Sep 26, 2001
    Friday nights are out for me. Maybe a Saturday night viewing? However, I have tickets for Thursday night already and plan on seeing it again on Sunday with a friend of mine.

13. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    I'll likely be seeing it Sunday night at the Pleasure Island AMC at WDW, if anyone wants to join me. Hehehehehehe.

I hear some showings are already sold out, so if you don't have tickets yet you better get them!

14. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Sorry, I was derelict in my duties - I thought we weren't going as a group what with vacations and other plans.

Ken and I might be able to go on Friday night, but that's it for the weekend - we've got a wedding way out in Leesburg on Saturday and house hunting on Sunday (won't we all be glad when we just buy something!).

But if there's any interest for Friday night, I'll look into it!

15. fakename99

Sep 26, 2001
    I am out for Saturday also. "Down with Love" is starting this weekend and I am taking my wife to go see it. We are having an old time date of a dinner and a movie.

16. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Hey everyone...
    so, yeah, The Matrix Reloaded... it was... just... awe inspiring. The film is just... different than I thought it would be. Then again, I don't know what I expected the sequel to be like, anyway. All the unexpected plot twists, all the amazing visuals... it's a good thing I'm seeing it again Friday night, because, much like the first one, I think I'm going to need to see it a few times to figure out everything that was going on. :)
    I don't want to go into specifics of the plot for the sake of all those who have yet to see it, but I will mention a few general things you should know before seeing the movie:
    1. As I mentioned above, there are a number of plot twists that I think are pretty good ones, ie you may not see them coming. :cool:
    2. You will definitely get a much better look at the world of the Matrix, both the Matrix itself, and the real world. :cool:
    3. There are things in this movie that point out even MORE what the influences were for this series. Look for little tips of the hat to A) the world's most popular comic book superhero, and B) anime films. :cool:
    4. Many have felt (including some here) that this movie's ending is abrupt and rude. I don't think it was as bad as I expected it to be, but there IS a cliffhanger ending, so be prepared to be on the edge of your seat for 6 months! ;)
    5. Make SURE you stay in your seat through the end credits. After the credits, there's a short preview of The Matrix Revolutions! :cool:

So, all in all...
    ***** out of 5! :cool:
    Once the film's been out for awhile and more people have had a chance to see it, I'll start talking more about specific things in the movie. :)
    Later.

17. fakename99

Sep 26, 2001
    It was a good movie. However, I don't feel that there were a lot of plot twists I didn't see coming. There are a few, but I was thinking there would be a lot more. That is all I will say for now.

18. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    well, I have to say I didn't think it was all that. I had to force myself to stay awake during certain scenes. I thought the first one was much, much better. And we waited after the credits to see the preview for the third one but I wasn't that excited about it. Maybe the third one will be better.

19. fakename99

Sep 26, 2001
    I have seen it three times now and I liked it more the second time around. However, I do feel the movie is over-rated. Maybe that is why I liked it more the second time around. I knew what was coming, so I could just relax and watch the movie.

20. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    The Matrix was an awesome movie. High-charged, highly intellectual, and phenomenal action.

21. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    Possible Spoilers

I feel the movie was very overrated and no where near as good as the 1st. the plot was lame, the action scene where too long and forced, and you could tell Neo was CG. the first movies action scenes were breathtakeing and not completely CG. I also didn't approve of all the sexual content in this movie. the first one did not have this aspect and I feel it was inapropriate to change the format so much during the second. If Taylor was a little older I would have taken him to see the movie, because there was no sex in the first one and would have been very upset during this one. I also didn't understand why it was so important that they sneek away to have sex in Zion, they are on the ship together and sleep together, they made it seem like they were never together

Ok i'm done with my rant, in conclusion, go see X2 instead of M2

22. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    I didn't see the movie as lame, very intellectual yes.

The sex scene was necessary for the whole Neo-Trinity love angle. It was not as gratuitous as I had anticipated it being. Very tastefully done.

And a belligerent note about taking small kids to see R-Rated movies. While I believe that parents should teach their children the difference between the real world and "FICTIONAL"movies, I do not believe that small children should be seeing a movie of such highly-charged violence until they are old enough to fuly understand that a violent movie is "FICTION". Somehow parents have forgotten to teach that all-important aspect of modern media to their children. This is evidenced by the Columbine shootings following the release of the first Matrix movie.

23. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    That's why I said if Taylor was older, but it was the violence that was the problem, it was the nipples in the dance hall. and the sex scene could have been done with out seeing Trinity and Neo's behinds. And how was it nessasary to establish love? since when do you have to have sex to show love? but the point i was making was that while in Zion they acted like they never get to be together, when we see them sleeping together on the ship.

24. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I loved it.

I can understand them sneaking away to make love in Zion as they probably don't get privacy on the ship, furthermore, perhaps sexual relationships are banned while on a mission.

I agree with Jeff that it was very important to develope the Neo-Trinity love aspect to make the whole choices sequence at the end make sense.

The action was awesome, and not too long or forced (IMO). The car chase left me terrified and on the edge of my seat. I do agree however that the CGI Neo in the 100-Smiths sequence looked crap. But that was the only blemish in an otherwise flawless movie.

Can't wait for the finale

25. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    hmmm... I just didn't think it was all that. and Tim is right. you could tell Neo was CG. and it really seemed like a video game at times. but as Mutt said, maybe it is too intellectual for me. I usually like movies that make me think. and I'll add that my 18 year old sister, who is HIGHLY intellectual, did not like the movie either. She loved the first one. anyway I didn't hate M2. It just wasn't as good as the first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.