main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Matrix tonight

Discussion in 'Archive: Lafayette, LA' started by Ubigod, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubigod

Ubigod Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 16, 2003
    I will be going to see the Matrix tonight. It at the theater at the mall at 10pm. hopefully it will live up to the hype.

2. jmayeux

jmayeux Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    Matrix Reloaded fans unit and realize you're all living in some bizarre, dilusionaly fantasy world, where crap is great, and hamburgers eat people.

I want to know from what seat in the theater is this dribble considered a good movie...

However during this past week I did see another sequel that was actually worth watching. X2 X-Men United.

Matrix Reloaded was a CRUSHING disappointment. The fight scenes were probably bigger and more elaborate than the ones in X2, but their edge was taken off by a few factors:

1) Long, long, BORING speeches. There was plenty of backstory and exposition in X-Men and X2, but NONE of it compares to the mind-shattering tediousness of half of the speeches in Reloaded.

2) The fights were almost... too perfect. When I compare Nightcrawler's attack on the White House and Neo's battle with hundreds of Agent Smiths, I can easily say the latter was more involved and more elaborate. But... it just lacked soul, I guess. It was too artificial. I've always said that X2's special FX were great precisely because you don'tnotice them; Wolvie's claws, Nightcrawler's tail and Mystique's shapechanges are all special effects, but you barely notice them because they're so seamlessly integrated into the mix. Reloaded, by contrast, seemed to call attention to the fact that they were using special effects -- something that's impressive, but ultimately takes away from the movie experience.

Keanu Vs. Hugh is no question. You can't block adamantium claws no matter how fast you are, just avoid them. And Neo has no healing factor.

Matrix Reloaded, for all its brilliant action sequences, bucked me off just about every 10 minutes. I was doing mental wind-sprints trying to keep up with the long expository speeches that sound like they mean a lot more than they really do, and wondering why they didn't fire their editor when he left several grueling minutes of meaningless dance scenes in a high-octane action movie

By the time I made it to the Architect I was eager to get the whole thing over with. Pick any door, Keanu, right or left, I don't care anymore! If Wolverine were there that Colonel Sanders guy would have been a cold cut.

Even though Wolverine can even get shot in the head and survive, the audience still worries for him. But when Neo fights a horde of Agent Smiths, the audience knows he can fly away like Superman any time he wants to, so they don't worry about Neo.

And without that emotional investment, what is really the point of these really long and increasingly silly kung-fu battles where everyone's sunglasses never come off?

3. wicket_the_ewok

wicket_the_ewok Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Come on mayeux, matrix reloaded was awesome. i saw four times. i don't see how you can compare the matrix to x-men, x-men was good and all, but not better than the matrix. you most likely didn't like the matix because you didn't understand it. man you need to get your priorities straight.

4. HockeyPrincess

HockeyPrincess Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2002
    I agree with Mayeux, matrix reloaded blew. I liked X2 better...even better after i saw Reloaded. I did enjoy the first Matrix so its not like i'm just raggin on the movie b/c i don't like it and don't understand it. It just wasn't for me. Maybe my coolness factor was on super low that day but what i got from it was this:

Neo is unstoppable, fight scene, fight scene, fight scene, rave in the cave orgy, fight scene, fight scene, agent smith, agent smith, agent smith, agent smith, fight scene, fight scene, must be cool with our sunglasses, fight scene, fight scene, ooh looky cool effects,Colonel Sanders, zion destroyed, one survivor, End SCENE!

and what do you mean about getting priorities straight? It's his opinion of the movie, not everyone will agree on it.

5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I liked reloaded a hell of alot.

6. jmayeux

jmayeux Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    First of all, I did love the first movie.
    Second of all, I did completely understand where they were going with this movie.
    Third of all, anyone who gives up enough time and money to see this crap 4 times is the one who needs to examine their priorities.
    Fourth of all, this movie was an utter disaster, it sucked, and it just shows how bad sequels can be.

I compare it to X-men because X-men was entertaining and Matrix was torture to sit through.

7. HockeyPrincess

HockeyPrincess Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2002
    haha, kick ass! Right on, man!

I enjoyed X2 a hella lot better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.