JCC Matt Damon in Elysium

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    No way. Star Wars video games are the Final Fantasy Spirits Within of movies.
    Asterix_of_Gaul likes this.
  2. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    Saw this trailer today. Twice. My jaw hung open through the first viewing, so I had to watch it again to make sure I wasn't dreaming. This film looks amazing, is what I'm trying to get at here.
    Last edited by Merlin_Ambrosius69, Apr 13, 2013
  3. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Morality scales, different player types, and the ability to perform feats not explainable by our current understanding of real-world physics are actually all pretty standard features of RPGs of any type. You may as well say 007 Goldeneye was a clone of a few levels off Rebel Assault 2, because both featured you fighting bad guys using firearms.
  4. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Except that would not be accurate. I think you just like being a contrarian.
  5. EmpireForever Force Ghost

star 7
    Those are all game mechanics, anyway. They ripped off their own game mechanics--they didn't rip off Star Wars.
  6. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    How wouldn't it be accurate, VLM? Fable was produced concurrently, by a different studio, and has all three of the major features you named. Have you played a video game before?
  7. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Yes, and Mass Effect is far closer to being SW than Fable, contrarian. [face_talk_hand]
  8. Asterix_of_Gaul Force Ghost

star 5
    I think Fable is far closer to being Mass Effect.
    Last edited by Asterix_of_Gaul, Apr 13, 2013
    JoinTheSchwarz and EmpireForever like this.
  9. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Whoa, this thread sure went off rail. At this rate someone is going to move it to the Games Forum.
  10. Asterix_of_Gaul Force Ghost

star 5
    I really want to see Elysium in large part because I like Sharlto Copley.
  11. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Oblivion opened abroad a week before its U.S. release and earned $61 million. That's a promising start, but the reviews suggest it's not a great movie. Elysium still looks like our best hope for an outstanding original sci fi film this summer.
    Last edited by Jabbadabbado, Apr 14, 2013
  12. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I will probably just go see Oblivian despite Cruise/scientology/reviews. Cruise can and does deliver, and it's not like my lack of dollars is going to make Scientology come to a grinding halt. My ethics are up for entertainment? I guess.
  13. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8

You do realize "After Earth" is coming out this summer, starring Will Smith?
    Master_Jacen likes this.
  14. Diggy Force Ghost

star 4
    Well in every type of entertainment you ingest, chances are there is a scientologist or catholic or Muslim, or Buddhist or Jew or pantheist incolved at some point, so you can't have religion as a reason for not ingesting.
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Will Smith, his kid, and M Knight...hmmm, well, that is hit and miss. And having just watched the trailer I am calling it a miss.
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  16. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    I think you are under-estimating the "Will Smith" part of the equation, VLM.

So let me reiterate. Will Smith is in this movie.
    Master_Jacen and Asterix_of_Gaul like this.
  17. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I liked Will Smith in I, Legend. He was actually kind of good in I, Robot. Perhaps if this were called I, After Earth it might get somewhere. But otherwise Smith is a tad overrated. Just a tad. I forgot Men In Black as I typed this. I liked Will Smith and he can carry a leading role. But look at that trailer. Nope. Not good.
  18. Diggy Force Ghost

star 4
    I Am Legend, Monty, ya big fool.
  19. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    [IMG]
  20. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I would never underestimate Will Smith. He would likely have been a potent force during the production process to keep Shyamalan's more unsavory habits in check. But it's still in some sense a Shyamalan movie, so hard to know for sure. On its face, After Earth just doesn't look as interesting as Elysium, but that's my particular sci fi bias.
  21. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5

So yeah, I'm pumped for Elysium. Hope more trailers come out soon. :p
  22. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Last edited by VadersLaMent, May 19, 2013
  23. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
  24. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
  25. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I can't get enough of the visuals of Elysium.