main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Matthew Vaughn Directing...unofficially confirmed.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JaimePrater, Nov 27, 2012.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    That suits Yoda, he's small so jumping up to the level of your opponent makes sense. Him fighting on the ground against Dooku who is 6'5 would have looked stupid.

I don't have issue with Yoda fighting, I have issue with him being below-par CGI and not looking as good as a 30 year old rubber puppet.

If WETA can do great CGI, so can ILM.

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    My opinion of CG Yoda is that the Episode II model is ok although not great, but the one they used for Episode III (and subsequently in Episode I) looks fantastic. The TESB puppet was groundbreaking and amazing for its time, and it still holds up very well, but there are moments in TPM and ROTS where he is just able to convey so much nuance and depth in nothing more than a sideways glance or a slight squinting of his eyes.

Garth Maul, -NaTaLie- and Krueger like this.
  3. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Wow. They don't even look like the same "person".

I wonder why they didn't cast a mold of the original puppet, and form a solid replica to use for rendering the CGI models. Or better yet, make a new error-correct puppet.

The original puppet in TPM was horrendous. It was like someone ate a picture of Yoda and puked it onto the screen.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  4. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I was confused why the TPM puppet seemed to have less hair than ESB Yoda despite being younger.

5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I think they look like the same person... The lighting is very different in TESB but otherwise he just looks older and more at peace with himself to me.

Oh, and the less said about the TPM puppet the better. Thank goodness that abomination has gone the way of the '97 Jabba.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    ROTS Yoda in that picture looks like he's been in a tanning bed too long compared with ESB Yoda.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They got the grooves in the head right.

8. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not familiar with him but it's not officially confirmed, right?

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Boy, this thread got off-topic. Does anyone know if there is any further confirmation in the media about this.

10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes! I waould much rather see an actor with prostectics whose been enhanced with CGI tha full-on CGI characters.

11. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Jar Jar, Dexter Jester, several alien Jedi were all pretty much CGI.

12. jps78

jps78 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    If the rumor is true than i'm ok with the selection, while Vaughn hasn't directed many films the films he has made are enjoyable. Layer Cake is very under rated film in fact this was the film that sold me that Daniel Craig would make a great Bond. I heard mixed reviews for Stardust, didnt see all of Kick ass but what I did see it was good. X-Men First Class was a great film. One of the things I'm hope for if Vaughn is the man is the casting of Mark Strong, there really good friends and he's a really good actor. There is your bad guy right there

13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    He's only directed three films, all of which he co-wrote, but he has produced several others, including Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. He's got the creds, IMO; after all, Lucas had only written and directed two films prior to the original Star Wars.

14. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I'm not even a Thrawn fanboy but I could see Mark Strong is that role. I also wouldn't mind seeing Strong as a good guy for a change.

laurethiel1138 and jps78 like this.
  15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Watch Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

solojones likes this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I wonder why they let such a glaring change in tone slip by... you would think the ESB Yoda had lived on a planet that got little to no sunlight for 2 decades or something...

17. jps78

jps78 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    great call DarthSuggs, he would make a awesome Thrawn

18. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I think a lot of it has to do with the use of actual film too. That puppet shot with an HD digital camera might look like garbage.

19. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Sorry to me the puppet looks like ****..

20. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    There's a 20yr age difference between the CGI Yoda in RotS and the puppet Yoda in ESB. Yes, I know his species takes a rather long time to age, but he was close to his death bed in ESB (obviously since he died in what was just a few months to a year later in RotJ)

The hair thing is easily explainable... how much grooming equipment does Yoda have on Dagobah... and even more... why would he even be as attentive to such a thing whilst living alone in a swamp for 20yrs? He obviously kept it trimmed in the PT, and no longer did so in the OT. Life happens.

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    WHY IS THIS DISCUSSION HAPPENING IN THIS THREAD

stormcloud8 and yodasbum like this.
  22. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Guys please stay on topic if you want to discuss yoda and puppets I think saga or swc would be a great place to start that thread.

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk

23. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    If this rumour is true I'm ok with it.....hey at least it's not GL :D

24. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Matthew Vaughn has a decent history.
    Stardust has a 76% fresh on RT, same with Kick-Ass.
    X-Men first class has a 87% on RT,

He's a solid choice.

25. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm not so happy. I'd prefer Peter Jackson or Duncan Jones, although after watching Trailer#2 of the Hobbit i think Jackson uses too much CGI.

About the Yoda Puppet...i only have to say this: Yoda Puppet ESB > Yoda CGI TPM > Yoda Puppet TPM.