main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maul in Kenobi

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bossk_Baby

Bossk_Baby Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    You hit the nail on the head.
    The ending of Solo essentially sets up the rest of the Dark Times series.
    You have Han and Chewie heading to Tatooine to find Jabba. Jabba has associations with many fan favorites including Fett / the ESB bounty hunters, as well as other crime syndicates like Maul (and Qi’Ra who will be working for him).
    Also on Tatooine at this time you have Kenobi, with a young Luke and Owen / Beru. We know during this time Kenobi was communing with Qui-Gon.

Who else has associations with all these principle characters (Maul, Kenobi, Fett)? Vader, who was well (re)established in R1 along with the rest of the Empire, Tarkin, mentions of the Emperor, is bound to appear again during this era. Also the anthologies have traced the formation of the rebel alliance, and its senior leadership like Mothma and Bail (who discuss Kenobi in R1). I’m sure that will continue.

This is all going to build and overlap in the films ahead and I can’t wait. Solo had its flaws but it’s already growing on me, and I think it sets up a lot of potential fun.
    I just hope Solo is positively embraced by the fans and turns enough of a profit (numbers seem disappointing so far) to warrant more entries in the Dark Times saga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MYMUTHAZ and Uncivilized like this.
  2. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    So will Solo be the Iron-Man of the Star Wars saga. The beginning of the insanity?

Bossk_Baby likes this.
  3. Bossk_Baby

Bossk_Baby Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    I think that was definitely the plan..

We’ll see if LFL follows suit after the pretty disastrous opening weekend box office of Solo.

I think they will move forward but with a tighter control on keeping low costs, and revamped marketing campaigns.

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think Maul being in future anthology movies might ruin those films and seriously damage the franchise overall. I hope he's not in Kenobi. It was corny enough when they brought back Maul in that cartoon after he had been sliced in two. Now he's going to appear in more movies, perhaps being the big bad of the Boba Fett movie and the Kenobi movie? This kind of retconning will kill the franchise for me.

Makes me think they'd bring Han Solo back to life if Harrison Ford was game.

xoubara likes this.
  5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016

Probably means nothing since you don't really get the context or even know exactly what he said about Kenobi so it could have been anything from Ray Park saying Yeah i think they are making a kenobi movie and everyone takes that as he knows something.

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Would not surprise me if Maul crosses paths with Snoke at some point, maybe's he's the one that scars him up and wipes out his forces of Praetorians.

Shaak Ti and B3 like this.
  7. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    xoubara likes this.
  8. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Honestly who knows if Maul could appear. Had they not had the final fight in Rebels it certainly was possible but now I don't know. While Dave obviously felt the responsibility to end Maul's story you do wonder do they regret it in someway because it robs the idea of it being in a film? They asked if Maul had a future in a film and the Story Group said no but now that he's come back in Solo it seems like they might be considering something. Or it could just be this one cameo who knows.

We know Maul believes Obi-Wan dead before Rebels so unless he encountered Obi-Wan again beforehand and something happens that he believes him to have been killed it'd be hard to justify the appearance unless Obi-Wan hallucinates him or something. You could maybe lead into his Rebels appearance as a third act reveal but it seems like Obi-Wan was just having a normal day when Ezra showed up and wasn't in the middle of something that I'm sure a film will take up the run time for and it would just be sort of random for it to suddenly take place without the context of what Ezra and Maul are doing on their journeys before encountering Obi-Wan.

Who knows I guess is all we can say but if I was to guess Maul could be felt in the film maybe again some hallucinations with him killing Satine as Obi-Wan lets the guilt sink in and whatever goes on in the film is his way of overcoming it.

9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Qi'ra calling hooded Maul on a throne hologram was very close to unused TFA concept:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Darth Nave and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Too have maul's end in cartoons and have him in Solo, would feel a little underwhelming. I feel some sort of retelling is needed.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  11. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Maul has no idea Obi-Wan is on Tatooine until Rebels

cwustudent likes this.
  12. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    They should just retcon Rebels. I didn't want the films to acknowledge his resurrection but now that they've done it they should tie him up as the main villain in Kenobi. He'd be a villain who makes a lot of sense for this movie - he wants to stay hidden from the Empire almost as much as Obi-Wan so he and his crime syndicate have no reason to reveal his presence on Tatooine to the Imperials.

13. xoubara

xoubara Jedi Master star 2

Mar 4, 2003
    I agree with whoever wrote that article.

I think it is a bad idea to unify all the stand alone films as a trilogy of disparate movies, as some have suggested. It wouldn't be unheard of in cinema, but I prefer my star wars stand alone movies to be just that: stand alone movies.

For various reasons already presented here, I... Don't think Maul is going to be in the Kenobi movie, unless it rehashes the confrontation from Twin Suns.

I would bet on him appearing in that Boba Fett movie announced a few days ago or, even better, that Enfys Nest movie I hadn't thought about before reading the article, which would be incredible awesome. I could see Enfys Nest and Qi'Ra uniting forces to topple Maul and Crimson Dawn. THAT would make for an amazing story.

KK, are you reading?

14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    You could do quite abit with that really

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I get where you're coming from. I myself would've just preferred they left his character dead back in TPM. But with what they've done I have enjoyed it so far. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Boba Fett, but TBH, after seeing him in Solo, I really don't think he'll appear in a Kenobi film. If he's involved with Crimson Dawn, or some other gang activity, I imagine he'd be a bit busy during that time. And then we know what he's up to during the Rebels timeline...Basically the Kenobi film would have to take place like just a couple years after ROTS...That's the only time it would work in the timeline between ROTS and ANH really.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  16. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    They didn't announce a Fett movie.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

17. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I can totally see Maul being in a Kenobi film. But it would be odd to not have Maul die in the live action films now that he's back in them. What I'd like to see is at the end, have them basically re-do the Maul death from Rebels at the end. This way we'd see him finally die in the movies and the Rebels episode can remain cannon.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  18. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you think they will extend the lightsaber fight? Casual fans will probably complain about it being too short.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  19. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Why though? It only really makes sense in the cartoons where they actually had were some sort of arch enemies. In the context of the movies they met once, never spoke, and Obi-Wan killed him. It wouldn't make any sense.

20. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah who knows, maybe bringing Ahsoka back had repercussions with the rest of the timeline.

If they have a duel in a Kenobi movie, it would have to be written a lot different since Maul was not on Tatooine for longer than two or three days. Its doubtful Maul will just have 5-7 minutes of screen time just to be killed off again, and the rest of the Kenobi movie is about Kenobi mediating and milking Banthas and drying is soiled robes in the suns. There is nothing to suggest they want to repeat the mistakes of TPM again.

The Rebels cartoon was for kids and it wasnt made with much thought or effort going into Maul - Filoni wanted to finish up with his version of Maul . He wanted to be the one to have closed the door since he was the open that was handed the keys back TCW for bring Darth Maul back via Lucas' order. So , not much thought was really put into the episodes since he originally planned on killing off Maul again in the finale of Season Two, but he kept him(mainly Witwer) around to help build the stupid Ezra(and the young actor)character up. Maul proved to have greater longevity than predicted by either him or Lucasfilm who gave him the go ahead to kill him off again. Maul is back now cause of Howard and Kasdan, cinematically .

And he's in fighting shape and played once again by Ray Park, so his fighting style is back to where it should've been and not that cartoon Maul of Filoni.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Where is that artwork from?

22. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
  23. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    How dare you! Ray Park is yummy. [face_love]

B3 likes this.
  24. BrotherKylo

BrotherKylo Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017
    Anything can happen at this point

25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    If Maul is meant to be the central antagonist for a Kenobi film, there can't really be a revelatory moment for Obi-Wan about Maul's reemergence, given that both of them fought several times during the Clone Wars, and Obi-Wan knew that Maul had taken over the underworld. I'll be curious to see how the filmmakers handle that relationship, while also finding a way to justify Maul's return to general audiences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.