main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maul, Kenobi & QGJ debate

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by sithreaper, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithreaper

sithreaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    I for one believe that in Kenobi?s duel with Maul that kenobi was on top before recklessly leaving himself open for mauls force push, from there Obi regained his composure and killed the sith lord a feat he would have accomplished no matter what because he was stronger. I also believe that while still a padawan Kenobi had gone past his master in terms of skill and power??
    Your thoughts please

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I think Obi-Wan tapped into the DarkSide. He was fighting out of anger and revenge ... he let that take control of him and therefor Maul exploited that weakness and used it to his advantage. Obi-Wan realized what he did while he was hanging down a pit and decided to concentrated and use the Force to achieve victory.

3. sithreaper

Oct 8, 2004
    so is maul stronger & obi just got lucky or was obi always stronger.

4. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Try not to think of it as being "stronger". Think of it more as which one is more in control. The DarkSide lets one unleash anger upon an enemy ... the LightSide is more about controlling yourself and using the Force as your ally.

5. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Maul was over confident. He also could have used the Force to try and push Obi-Wan off that thing he was holding onto or he could have maybe used the Force to make his lightsaber cut off his arms so he fell but I think Maul was enjoying the duel a bit too much.

Obi-Wan may have tapped into the darkside, I think I could argee with this. All I know is he took Maul by surprise it seemed. I mean he was the Padawan and his Master just died, he probably was expected to die in Maul's eyes. Now the fact that he took out Maul definitely qualified him as a powerful Jedi. I think he had a power but it was kind of dormant until it called on him in that situation. Did that make sense?

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Darth Maul just stood there; no skill or strength.

7. sithreaper

Oct 8, 2004

I get were your coming from frank. I dont believe that kenobi tapped into the darkside I think he just unleashed the greatest attack he could possibly muster because he realised that it would be needed to emerge victorious. As for maul he was in big trouble but he kind of rode the storm out and obi wan was starting to slow when maul used the force to knock him down the pit. Had Obi already as a padawan become more powerful then jedi council standard QGJ in TPM??

8. C2PO

C2PO Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    Obi-Wan became my favorite character after he defeated Maul. You got a real sense of how awesome his skills were, which were never shown to his full potential in the OT.

His skills may have been better or even with Qui-Gon, but I think his determination is what makes him so powerful.

I remember watching as Maul beat Qui-Gon thinking how afraid Obi-Wan must have been to have to face him alone with no chance of beating him. Not only is he brave enough to face him but he finds a way to defeat him.

Obi-Wan vs. Maul has been the most exciting lightsaber duel so far in a Star Wars film. I'm hoping the Obi-Wan vs. Anakin duel is even better.

9. darthsith19

darthsith19 Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2004
    Maul was the most powerful, then Qui-Gon and finally Obi-Wan. Maul was winning during the entire duel, until Obi-Wan jumped out of the pit.Qui-Gon is only more powerful than Obi-Wan by the slimest of margians and Obi-Wan was fighting better than QG b/c he tapped into the Dark Side. Even when in the DS, Maul was still more powerful than Obi-Wan.

10. Fanmenace

Fanmenace Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2005
    *Maul was the most powerful, then Qui-Gon and finally Obi-Wan. Maul was winning during the entire duel, until Obi-Wan jumped out of the pit.Qui-Gon is only more powerful than Obi-Wan by the slimest of margians and Obi-Wan was fighting better than QG b/c he tapped into the Dark Side. Even when in the DS, Maul was still more powerful than Obi-Wan. *

I don't think it was a matter of strength but a matter of motivation. Maul was trained specifically for killing Jedi and had the focus to do so. The Jedi on the other hand were caught by surprise and were at a disadvantage. You will notice that OW fights better after QG is beaten because his anger is directed at DM. This is the darkside, yes, but I think his focus is the primary factor. Notice just before DM force pushes him backward OW attacked with intense anger. A posting recently speculated that a Jedi could block a force push with a 'force block'. OW was too focused on the attack to defend.

11. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    When I first saw Darth Maul I was like, this villian is just about invincible. He had booth Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan beat during two separate times in the contest.

Also, I think Obi-Wan was the better contestant because he managed to trim Lord Maul's double bladed lightsaber down to size and made Maul run from him.

Obi-Wan was not stronger than Qui-Gon Jinn. Maul was able to beat Qui-Gon because he hit him in the face with his lightsaber, leaving Qui-Gon Jinn vulernable to stab in the gut. In the contest with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan separately, Darth Maul was beaten by each of them when it came to dueling.

12. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Darth Maul was beaten in seperate duels? If I recall, he was winning against both Obi-wan and Qui-Gon regardless if they were alone or together. When it was just Obi-wan fighting Maul, it looked like he was getting the upper hand when he severed Maul's lightsaber-staff but in actuality, it only stunned him because afterwards, Maul was regaining control and was luring Obi-wan right into his trap which he fell for when he got tossed into the pit.

13. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Go, and reread me entire post, PMT99. Maul had both beaten and vice versa. :)

14. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Where in the world did you get that Maul was winning that entire fight? Yes, he eventually took down Qui Gon *after* the elder Jedi was slowed down by exhaustion, but for a good portion of that battle, Qui Gon had Maul on the defensive. Take a good look at the blockade hallway fight - that's Qui Gon forcing Maul back, not the other way around. Of the two Jedi, it was Obi Wan who had to fight defensively against Maul. Maul is fast, quick, and more importantly very young and well-trained, but he's nowhere near invicible. He did not completely "own" that battle in any way and received just as much a booty-kicking as the rest. Allowing the shiny, flashy battle moves dictate whose the winner isn't always correct, and that's definitely not the case here.

15. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I think Obi-Wan was better then Maul because he did well to matched Maul when he was emotional and reckless and then when he calmed down and used the force he defeated Maul and this will lead into Revenge of the Sith nicely I think because GL has said that in THE DUEL Anakin is more powerful then Obi-Wan but Anakin is emotional and reckless but Obi-Wan is calm and experienced.

16. Evil Solo

Evil Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2000
    It was a scripted duel performed by actors. None of it was real. Therefore this thread is moot. I will allow the deletion of this thread.

17. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Chaotic Serenity-

Maul only got in trouble when he got slapped off the platform but he was NOT being forced back by Qui-Gon...he was doing the rope-a-dope like Muhammad Ali did with George Foreman when it looked like Ali was in trouble but he was really forcing George to exhaust himself so that Ali can get the upper hand which is what Maul was doing with Qui-Gon during the blockade hallway fight.

If Maul was nowhere near invincible, then Qui-Gon would still be alive and the fight would be over before they and Obi-wan would reach the plasma-generator room.

18. starfreak

starfreak Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2005
    i,starfreak,believe that kenobi was powerful only through anger and only that destroyed maul.
    maul however was always on top in the three way face off.

19. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Only the final outcome of the fight is important, not who had how much control during, and in the end Maul is dead Kenobi is alive. Maul lost the fight.

20. goflickabean

goflickabean Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2004
    In a couple of books, I believe the novel was one of them, it did state that Obi-Wan did indeed let his anger get the best of him and that was why Maul gained the upper hand momentarily. Sorry to rain on certain people's parade, but even Obi-Wan is prone to the darkside. Once he centered his thoughts and feelings though, he was able to defeat Maul.

21. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Maul wasn't invincible. He was a great fighter and had grand expertise with that deadly lightsaber of his. However Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon gave Maul all he could handle. MJEROME said something that made sense to me. Up until that uncrafty bud to his face by Maul's lightsaber Qui-Gon Jinn and Maul were even. Had it not been for that those laser doors would have opened in time for Obi-Wan to rejoin the fight and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon would have eventually closed in on Darth Maul and killed him.

22. Master_Trance

Master_Trance Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2005
    Maul was a fool for playing around with with the two jedi. He should of killed them both when he had the chance. He ecspecialy needed to stop toying with Obi Wan.

It's pretty darn pathetic how darth Maul lost, with his speed he should have been able to get out of the way before being cut into two.

So sorry[face_shame_on_you]

23. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    i think ob1 was the stronger of the two...maybe not the better fighter overall...as maul was trained to kill..but obi1 was the smarter one..cept when he tapped into the dark side..like so..from the main site

"Kenobi, enraged, attacked Maul. This barrage was deflected by Maul who used Obi-Wan's touching of the dark side as a conduit for a Force attack; using the Force, Maul pushed Obi-Wan into a deep mining pit. Kenobi held onto an outcropping for dear life. Calming himself by calling upon the light side of the Force, Kenobi was able to surprise Maul, and cleave him in half with his saber. "

my theory is...that there is a battle we dont see between jedi and sith...they have what i like to call "force shields" this prevents force attacks...if strong enough and the jedi/sith keep focus...now..like ob1 did..if jedi tap into the dark side..their shields are blown...al la anakin aagain against dooku in AOTC with the lightning...obi1 was then able to keep his calm and was smart enough to block it...

so as in the maul/obi fight...obi tapped into the dark side...and maul took advantage...but was not smart enough to finish the job..obi on the meanwhile...found his center of calm and tapped into the light side...this confused maul as we see his face turn into a wrinkle before obi leaps and slices him....overall..i think obi is the more powerful then the 2..not necessary the best fighter at this point..but the smartest fighter and is a good lightsaber wielder as well..

24. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    I think that Qui-Gon and Maul were equal,but Maul had double-bladed lightsaber.If he had ordinary lightsaber he may loose to Qui-Gon.

25. Mustafar_Knights

Mustafar_Knights Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    Maul was technically a better fighter than either Qui-gon or Obi-wan. It takes a LOT more skill to wield a double-bladed lightsaber safely and accurately than it does a regular one. Certainly he was on the defensive for most of the fight, but he was holding his own. In his one on one battles, he beat both Qui-gon and Ben. Also, he would have killed Qui-gon on Tatooine in fairly short order. His ARROGANCE, however, let to his defeat. Had he continued his fight with Obi-wan and not let himself get cut down; more than likely he would have won.

He was more skilled than Obi-wan, and more vigorous and athletic than Qui-gon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.