main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maul take Dooku's place and should have been villian in entire PT.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JediStarKiller, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronin81Dan

Ronin81Dan Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2005
    I think that Lucas's purpose in all of these characters(I did not say villians for a reasons) was to give us all a mere taste of what true villiany could be. Yes Maul would have been a cool villian for the whole trilogy. He was a very intimidating force, although very briefly known to any jedi. Dooku also would have been an interesting villian the whole way through. He was darkly intelligent and very controlled, very fearsome in his own right. Then Grievous(Take note: I've never seen the animated clone wars), shows up and is a dreaded jedi killer, but is basically just a tough talking coward who gets killed pretty easily. He, it would not have made a good villian the whole way through.
    However, none of them were around very long. They were mere shadow puppets(get it?).

1. Maul- Full of hate and malice, very powerful and knowledgeable about the ways of the force, but in the end...taken down by overconfidence and a lack of awareness(Should have kicked Qui-Gon's sabre too). Very brief, a nice appetizer, but that's about it.

2. Dooku- Clearly very intelligent and a possessor of a great many resources and considering he used to be a jedi, a great deal of knowleddge about his enemy. Very cool, almost a laid-back way to him. Again done in by overconfidence(Stover's book showed this), but even if was completely respectful of his foe(anakin), he was probobly overpowered. He was just a chess piece being used by Palpatine. A true villian would not be played for a fool.

3. Grievous- Looking like a coughing hobo straight out of 'The Village' or 'The Dark Crystal' just does not inspire fear at all. He's mechanical so immediately there is little chance the audience can identify with the fear or intimidation this character was designed to produce. He's tough sure(from what i've read here and in Stover's book), but just not awe-inspiring at all. Another pawn used by Palpatine.

I think about what things will look like for future generations who do not split the two trilogies in half. I think they could see it this way. You have three characters who could be major villians, but they really....just....aren't. They will see Palpatine as this fearsome mastermind and as someone clearly very powerful with the force and manipulative in ways that is beyond anyone's comprehension. Then of course they will see what all these characters(villians and wannabes alike) are building towards. Darth Vader. Even half mechanical none of these guys(not even Palps) holds a candle to the villiany of Vader. He is the most fearsome of any of the sith. Hands down.
    Maul was, perhaps, a Knight. Dooku and Grievous were both pawns. Palps thought he was the king but really ended up being the designer of the board overthrown by the real King. Vader. The only true Villian we are left with.

Just my thoughts. Have a nice day.

2. JediStarKiller

JediStarKiller Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Yes I realize they were all pawns, and right before Dooku died...he realized this too. Treachery is THE way of the Sith. And I must admit Dooku was much better written and fleshed out in the novel...but Maul is just so more...just something. I realize they are on opposite ends of the spectrum in personaltiy and fighting techniques. Some people have said, that Maul fought with rage and like an animal...well Anakin sort of fights like this too. He doesn't think, he just feels.

I think it would have been much interesting if Maul was the one who trained Qui-Gon! Before he got the war tattooes on his face yes. Before he was a Sith apprentice, that would have been awesome!

And about 5 or 10 more minutes...and 2 or 3 more lines...would not have taken any the "mystery of Maul..it would have just added to it. Any thoughts!?!?!???

3. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Well the thing is, regardless of who was cooler as a Jedi, Maul was the best choice for TPM because you had a real human being who could perform complex lightsaber moves. With Dooku the use of digital manipulation was needed. The Grievous character was the culmination of digital technology developed over the course of the three films. Although Maul was great visually, who's to say if Ray Park can act well enough to carrythe character through more than just a line or two. Dooku was underused in the same way Maul was. But I think this was intentional so that the audience won't identify with them or get distracted from the idea that it's Anakin's story. But in terms of backstory, Dooku was active from soon after Maul was destroyed till Anakin kills him; some 13 years in the service of Sidious. Maul was around for atleast ten or so years prior to TPM so his time in the story is long too, we just don't see it onscreen because in terms of relevence to Anakin's tale, their parts in his destiny are small.

4. Jedi_Hunter_505

Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2004
    Maul all the way!!!

Maul should have been the primary villian until Anakin was able to defeat him himself after he had killed Qui-Gon. It would have gone with the story.

5. JediStarKiller

Jun 2, 2005
    Some agree...some don't....Now I'm not that blind to say the if a villain is cool, then he is a good "villian"...Cooler doesn't mean better, but it sure helps. Dooku was dignified, rich, well manner, and very powerful. And Maul was aggressive, strong, and also powerful...the strong silent type. They are actually both strong and silent in a sense. They don't have that many lines, nor do they really have any other place in the story, but to aid Palpatine along to controlling a galactic Empire.

I've heard people say the OT is great because of all the badguys introduced, but you always have the main one...Vader.

In the PT I assume the constant villian is Palpatine, Darth Sidious, a.k.a. The Emperor. Yet there is always another villian that does the dirty work for him. He just seems like he is hiding away rubbing his hands together and letting out a evil giggle of delight. Maul is the one who goes after Jedi and Admidala on Tatoonie. He is the one who kills Qui-Gon...which sets in motion Obi-Wan training young Anakin. Yet another deep loss for young Ani.

Dooku helps lead the separitists. He is an idealist and Palpatine's right hand man. Sure he takes off Anakins hand and almost kills them both. But that could have easily been Maul. Maul could have easily been the villain in Episode II. Which would have lead to an very interesting confrontation between Obi-Wan and himself....

6. dat_dude

dat_dude Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    I like both of them.

Maul= He looked cool and had a great fight scene.

Dooku= Was powerful and sophisticated. He had a fencing style of fighting and a diplomatic style about him. I could see him Negotiating a war on Sids behalf.

I do agree though that one Sith, threw the trilogy, would have been better. More of a build up to there death.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The point about Mauls deaht, is that it shouldn't have happened. By that I mean it was essential to the story that Maul dies, but Sidious shouldn't have allowed it to happen. When Maul died, Anakin's fate was sealed. If Maul hadn't been killed, Sidious wouldn't have needed to bring Anakin over to the dark side, Maul would have been good enough. So, Darth Mauls death began the series of events that would eventually lead to Anakin's downfall.

8. GherrickfromDorin

GherrickfromDorin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    "He couldn't lead the Seperatists. He'd kill them due to frustration first."
    Muhaha! :D :D :D great thing!

9. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Just to clarify a point that many audience members seemed to have missed; just because a member of the Jedi Council labeled Count Dooku as a political idealist, doesn't mean that he actually was such a person. This may have been what Count Dooku was at the time he left the Jedi Order, but once in the service of Darth Sidious he is a Sith Lord serving the will of his Master. Count Dooku was consumed by Darth Tyrannus just as Anakin Skywalker was consumed by Darth Vader. There is no difference. Whatever Dooku's intensions might have been at the beginning of his turn were no longer the motivating force behind his actions that led the galaxy into war.

Two things in AOTC clarify this. Yoda's sense that Dooku is engulfed in the darkside is one thing and the fact that the Jedi who states "Count Dooku is a political idealist, not a murderer" is literally revealed to be incorrect is the other thing. Even Mace sais "He [Dooku] couldn't kill anyone. It's not in his character." But we find out that this is entirely incorrect. We find out that Tyrannus is infact TRYING to kill Padme as she suspected because it will further the plot Sidious has masterminded for control of the galaxy. Now perhaps Sidious gaining control of the known systems was the political ideology that Dooku had in mind when he was recruited, but in the end he craved power for himself once his heart was blackened by the darkside. We see this in the way he tries to recruit Obi Wan to defeat Sidious. A political idealist would desire to follow through on the plan for stability of the galaxy; even in the case of a dictatorship. Eliminating Sidious (who he knew to be Palpatine) would have caused all kinds of problems for political stability. Corruption would have tripled because of lack of leadership and demoralisation.

Fact is, he was not a political idealist. He was a Sith Lord with a personal agenda for power and wealth. He served his Master for these ends just as the Separatist Leaders did.

10. Sima_Sith

Sima_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    Dooku is way too elegant and classy to be a Sith

he is a classy guy!! lol

and some one said he looked like a character out of The Lord of the Rings, thats because he is. Christopher Lee (Dooku) played the 2nd most evil villan in LOTR, Saruman The White. who also was a good guy, then change forces. Saruman also led his own army. he was a wizard too!

i liked all of the sith, but sadly, the reason they all died is because they were only pawns in Palpatines ultimate plan!

11. The_Negotiator

The_Negotiator Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    I don't think Maul would have worked in Dooku's role, but I would like to have seen more of both of them throughout the PT. Dooku is one of my favorite characters, and Maul is just plain cool.

12. Sima_Sith

Sima_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    dooku is pretty cool

13. JediStarKiller

Jun 2, 2005
    Someone said...Just to clarify a point that many audience members seemed to have missed; just because a member of the Jedi Council labeled Count Dooku as a political idealist, doesn't mean he is one. Well he is a political idealist. Why do you think he left the jedi order to become an sith apprentice to Palps...Because he had ideals that did not agree with the Jedi Council. His political ideals were alos different. He wanted an Empire to rule over the beings that were less inferior...(None sith, any aliens...etc.) And he wanted a grand Army of the Sith to take control. For him the the Emperor to do this they needed a hero of the war on their side...Skywalker. He was the most power of Jedi, ever. So with him on their side they would be unstoppable.

So he was a political idealist.

And just because Mace said Dooku would never murder anyone, doesn't mean hes right. He doesn't know Dooku is now Darh Tyrannaus. He just knows he is a leader of the sepratist....not a sith apprentice. At least not when he said that!

14. Hypernova

Hypernova Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    I agree.

Maul should have been the PT villian.

Say after, Qui-gon dies, whilst their fighting (OB1 and Maul) one of their sabers hits a power generator or something and causes a small explosion.
    both are showerd with shrapnel and both limp away.

In AOTC, Maul injures both OB1 and Anakin just like Dooku did.

Anakin feels that the lightside in to tame.

OB1 couldnt beat Maul in TPM, both of them together couldnt beat him in AOTC.

It gives him another reason to turn to the darkside.

I really feel Maul was under-used in TPM.

I'd like to have seen a drunken farmer confront him on tatooine only to be force choked.

Maul was an animal.
    Perfect Sith material.

I liked Dooku but he was to much of a gentleman to be a sith.
    Maul was much better.

15. bishop_2005

bishop_2005 Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2005
    A few of you are stuck on this idea that because Dooku supposedly acts or looks like a gentleman (must be the beard and cape) that he could not be a sith. He's certainly greedy and powerful enough. Maybe the gentleman thing is just a charade for the public and deep down he's as much of an "animal" as Maul. That's like saying someone can't be a murderer because he's a gentleman.

16. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Up for current discussion.

17. Emperor_Gunray

Emperor_Gunray Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    Another Darth Maul shouldnt have died thread I see:)

I love Darth Maul as the much as the next person, but had I the choice I would have him appear alongside Dooku, not as his replacement. Count Dooku is an excellent villain and I wouldnt want him cut out.

18. JediAl

JediAl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2002
    I'ver always thought that Darth Maul was so underused in TPM..and Dooku was greased far too early in ROTS. I liked the idea of Dooku being the villian in TPM..killing his former apprentice would have put an intriguing twist on things..but there's no way someone like Maul could have concoted the events that eventually culminated in the Clone Wars..so Lucas was (regrettably) right to follow that storyline.

19. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
    Count Dooku should have been the villain all the way through. He should have been good in TPM, killed Qui-gon as a betrayel, learned of the Sith at the funeral with Yoda and Mace, realized there was a chance to become the sith apprentice and found Sidious. Episode II should have been the same, then Episode III, should have had maybe a longer duel. But I think that it isn't amount of time on screen really. If you are good, people will remember you. Count Dooku was a deep and mysterious character, it didn't matter how long he was on screen, he was great.
    The way I see it, he is classy. He is an extremely wealthy individual, well dressed, and dignified. He is elegance backed by darkness.
    His greatest weapon was his magnetic personality, which drew many systems to his cause. Very well spoken. The perfect mask to the evil that lies beneath the stately exterior.
    And it is Christopher Lee, who is a great actor. I could listen to him talk for hours and hours. Awesome voice.

20. darthstoss

darthstoss Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2005
    I think Dooku should have made the council in ep1 and had maybe one more scene in ep 2

and another thing ive always wished was that maul was the only sith we see in ep 1, have him work with nute and keep sidious out of it. we all knew the emperor was somewhere pulling the strings, why did we have to see him in the 1st couple of minutes...he should have been revealed at least later in the movie. then Maul coulda had more screen time and it wouldnt have been so obvious that palpatine was the emperor.

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. Darth_Kanosis

Darth_Kanosis Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2005
    The way Lucas made it was right, It would be really weird for Darth Maul to be the leader of the droid army....Darth Maul is my favorite character in star wars and i wouldve wanted to see more of him, but it wouldnt work out...Count Dooku is better for atoc because he is like a politician and Darth Maul is like a warrior

22. DARTH_DONALD

DARTH_DONALD Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    i must agree with the common idea of dooku being in all 3 of the films. but to go over what someone said when they asked why maul did'nt run after he killed qui-gon is this. he felt he did'nt have to, he had already killed 1 jedi, and a second 1, who would be unable to think clearly, was a perfect second "trophy" and it was this over confidence that led to his downfall

23. Froggy22651

Froggy22651 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 31, 2005
    Here is my idea on the subject: I think Darth Maul should have been in Grievous' place. Seriously.

Maul shows up Ep. I, fights Obi and Qui-Gon, appearantly dies by Obi's hand.

Maul is completely absent in Ep. II. (Seemingly dead, and all) Dooku is the main villian and is revealed to be the new sith apprentice.

But then Ep. III comes along, and it turns out that Maul survived Obi's maiming and is now the half-organic, half-machine cyborg leader of the Seperatist droid forces, complete with nifty new features (four arms?)and a major grudge against the now Master Kenobi. Rematch time!

24. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    DISAGREE.

Maul lacked the charisma and experience to lead the Separatists on Palpatine's behalf.

You're judging Dooku, based upon superficial reasons.

25. smd

smd Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2005
    Maul shouldn't take dookus place for obvious reasons.

1.like said before he cant handle the seperatist.

2.there is no way he could have held of yoda, he would have been cut in half nearly instantly. Dooku was much stronger then maul.

3.darth maul would be older and at the age he would be at he would have a heart attack with how worked up he would get.

well i named 3 reasons why he couldnt(i guess 3 doesnt really count but it could happen).and i just like dooku more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.