main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maul v.s. Vader?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Master_Anakin, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Fett_00

Boba_Fett_00 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    Vader would kill Maul so easily

2. Red-Talon

Red-Talon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2002
    "It has been said that Vader in ROTJ is nearly as powerful as the Emperor himself."

Nah, Emperor was the only one who could reach the depths of the Darkside (Lightning etc) until we saw Dooku in Ep2, and even if he was, being equal to a man who in all other circumstances would be dead if the Darkside wasn't keeping him alive isn't saying much.

I never said Vader's saber style wasn't powerful. His ESB style was similar to Dooku's and very accurate and precise, but that doesn't mean he has the physical ability to hang with Maul in a fight of speed and strength. To beat Maul he'd most definetly need to call aid of the force.

Once he used his force powers I'm fairly sure Maul would be history seeing the only impressive use of the force we see from Maul was his push on Obi, besides that he seems to be all saber, all speed.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    *scoff*

You do know that Maul's speed is Force-enhanced, right? Jedi and Sith are always drawing on the Force when they fight.

4. Red-Talon

Red-Talon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2002
    Of course, I don't think he just naturally has the ability to move 2x the normal speed without force aid ;)

5. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    Vader, any day.

Don't forget Vader=Anakin=guy with a midichlorian count higher than anyone else.

Also, I fail to see how Maul has any physical superiority. For some reason many people seem to think Vader can hardly move because his body is crippled, when he's in a cybernetic suit! Hello, cybernetic suit! And not our technology now either, but strong, working robotics of a more advanced, spacefaring society. If anything I would think the suit should be able to give him superior capabilities in strength and movement. The fact that not every part of him is flesh also means that one might cut deeply into a part of him, yet fail to draw blood or cause pain.

I strongly suspect that with the helmet, Vader can see more than simply the normal human range of colors.

It's true that Maul does not use the Force very much, independent of his saber-fighting, while Vader does, and he can choke people. However, I would tend to think Sith might know a counter for that, but who knows.

And then there's Vader's mysterious and much-speculated-upon deflection of blaster bolts with his gloves... is it armor or a Force power? Either way, it's another reason why Vader is superior.

EDIT: As for why they would fight, where is your imagination? Perhaps, assuming Maul lived or something, a situation like the one in Duality might happen.
    Or maybe if Maul was still alive, Anakin/Vader would kill him to take his place as Sidious' apprentice. Many have speculated that this is, roughly, the fate of Darth Tyrannous/Count Dooku.

6. haakun

haakun Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2002
    And then there's Vader's mysterious and much-speculated-upon deflection of blaster bolts with his gloves... is it armor or a Force power? Either way, it's another reason why Vader is superior.

I strongly belive it is a force power, I mean if Vader would have stopped the blaster bolt with his cybernetic hand he would have felt pain, but there is nothing in th ESB scene which suggests that Vader felt pain.

7. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Obi-Wan blocked a blaster bolt with his hand in AOTC, so I think Vader did the same.

8. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    When and where did he do that?

9. WellKnownCharacter

WellKnownCharacter Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    Bollocks. Vader can't find worth toffee.
    He's got no real stle its just 'Look at me, I'm big and powerfull!
    I'l push your sabre out the way!'

As said on synicon.com.au/sw/
    'Vader is lucky there arent any Qui-Gon Jinn's around to show him up.'

Only because he is fighting the pitiful Luke does vader appear good.

10. Boba_Darzel

Boba_Darzel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
  11. ShadesofSiknas

ShadesofSiknas Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    Maul easily!!

12. blobo

blobo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2002
    Vader would wipe the floor with Maul

13. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    I think people are still holding on to the thought that the crippled robo-man is all powerful. Perhaps they haven't seen the phantom menace? The fact is that Qui-Gon could beat Darth Vader. Why? Because Darth Vader can barely move, in fact he swings from his shoulder down because he cant raise his arms above his head. Its no competition, Maul would slice and dice and the crippled old man wouldn't have a chance. Sorry to say it but you all know its true, thats why you're mad now. :)

14. Mexican_Clone

Mexican_Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    well, since none of this is real and all just a work of fiction, i will write the following:
    Maul stands in a docking bay looking mad...real mad. vader approaches swinging his sabre like a crazy animal. Maul, using his trademark double bladed lightsabre, blocks each blow effortlessely. Maul then cuts Vader's head off.

Well, according to this, it looks like Maul would win a fight.

15. blobo

Dec 7, 2002
    ill say it again just for the hell of it VADER WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH MAUL

16. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    To suggest that the crippled robotic former padawan could beat a well trained, skilled, AGILE and FAST sith lord is just pure denial.

Vader was even dealt a blow from Luke on Bespin that should have taken his head off. Now if Luke can do that, why couldn't Maul? Luke had very little training and he's nothing compared to Maul. Yet he ends up defeating Vader hands down in ROTJ.

Vader was menacing in the 80's but not anymore. Hell, Qui-Gon could beat him easy.

VADER IS TO0 SLOW!!!!!!

17. Valkor

Valkor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Ahh
    search your feelings senseless_apprentice, you know it to be true that Vader would absolutely whip Maul. (Hey, isn't your name a cool Nirvana song?)

Anyway, Maul was nothing but a "fluff" character, meant to look cool and "spice up" TPM. Sure he can spin, flip, and look menacing, but he would be no match for Vader. *think Raiders of the lost ark when that sword guy twirls his swords and shows off...then what happens...INDY just whips out his Gun and takes him out with one shot. Same thing with Vader VS. Maul. Maul would flip and spin til his heart's content, but Vader would take him out with a couple of swings, or maybe a force throw of his saber.

.v.

ps. nice icon. ;)

18. blobo

Dec 7, 2002
    yep he sure would

19. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    Actually the Nirvana song is "scentless apprentice" but I decided to go with senseless because at the time I had a Maul face next to my name :)

You're right, Maul was a lot of hype because he indeed is more powerful than the robo-cripple. :)

20. Valkor

Valkor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002

ok, time to defend the big DV again. ;)
    Calling
    Darth Vader a robo-cripple lol is like calling Bruce Lee a skinny karate dude.

DV, like Bruce, did it first and did it best.
    He was the original Darth and the coolest Star Wars character ever.

I would agree that Maul was the only thing I really liked about TPM. He did have such great potential, but there can be only one B.A.J. (Bad ass Jedi) too bad he had to, as these boards put it "go out like a punk" to Obi Wan with the classic "oh no I've fallen and I'm hanging by a ledge but I'm secretly planning to jump up and rock you" trick.

.v.
    ps. that is a good Nirvana song. :)

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Yes, Vader is a mediocre swordsman at best. That doesn't mean Maul could wipe the floor with him. A duel between Force-users involves more than just skill with a sword. Vader uses the Force to throw things at Luke in the ESB duel because he knows he's a superior Force-user and that Luke will have no defense against him.

Couple the fact that Vader could have used Force tricks on Maul with Vader' vastly superior intelligence (would Vader stand there like Homer Simpson if he saw a Jedi jump out of a pit and grab a lightsaber?), and you'll see that Maul would have been bugsquat.

22. Protoss72000

Protoss72000 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2001
    If you guys read the sw tales comics, there is a vader vs maul. Gives a good reason why they are fighting, vader wins out in a very cool way, you should check it out :)

23. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Dark_Lady_Mara hit the nail on the head. Skill wise, okay you could give it to Maul but in sheer power of the Force? What about the Chosen One? ;) I also believe what you saw in the OT does'ent really do Vader credit. It's not like he wanted to kill Luke. I think its pretty much even.

24. MandalorianJango

MandalorianJango Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    I would say Darth Vader would win because he is more powerful and Maul is still an Apprentice

25. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Gotta give the edge to Vader. He was simply more powerful then Maul. People like to knock Vader's swordsmanship in the OT, but if they used today's technology with Vader in a saber duel, Vader would look like a much better swordsman.

"I see you becoming the greatest of all Jedi, Anakin. Even more powerful then Master Yoda."
    --Palpatine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.