main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maul vs. Qui Gonn

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Nowitzki41, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Nowitzki41

Darth_Nowitzki41 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    Do u guys think Qui Gonn had any sort of advantage over Maul during there duel because of the height the Qui Gonn has over Maul. Maul looks like he is no more the 5'6" and Qui Gonn looks like hes about 6'3". i was just wondering because boxers who are taller sometimes have and advantage over shorter opponents because of there longer reach.

2. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    You should know that height has NOTHING to do with advantage in a lightsaber duel!!
    I do recall seeing Yoda fight in episode 2.....

Good Stuff

3. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    Qui Gon has mostliky practiced with yoda who is 2 feet.

4. Darth_Nowitzki41

Darth_Nowitzki41 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    in yodas case it is different considering he is Yoda and he was basicall flying around Dooku during there fight. but qui gonn is considerably taller than maul but maul was prolly the better fighter, just vertically challenged

5. Deyla_Heren

Deyla_Heren Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2005
    I don't think Qui-Gon has an advantage at all!

6. Vaders-Apprentice

Vaders-Apprentice Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2004
    I always thought Qui Gon looked very wooden when fighting with Maul, he never seemed to have any sort of advantage apart from when he was alongside Obi Wan.

7. Deyla_Heren

Deyla_Heren Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2005
    What I heard was that Qui-Gon was not a strong FIGHTER but was VERY strong in the Force

8. Ord_Hulska

Ord_Hulska Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    No, Qui-Gon didn't have an advantage. He lost didn't he.

9. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    ^
    Bingo. Maybe Qui-Gon would have had an advantage in his younger days, but he obviously didn't have an advantage during the events of TPM.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

10. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Qui-Gon is Middle Aged and his height advantage didnt seem to matter...

11. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    In a sword fight size and strength are no comparison to experience and finesse.
    Likewise age has nothing to do with it, Qui-Gon is in top physical condition and he's a young man compared to Yoda or Dooku.
    Qui-Gon was a very apt swordsman, and he uses what is by far my favorite saber style in the films, but against darth maul he didn't stand a chance at the time.
    Remember that this is the Golden age of Jedi, the sith have been extict for over a thousand years(supposedly). The prinicipal of lightsaber dueling has decayed to the Jedi over the years, and most of them have decided instead to invest their training into something more practical, learning how to deflect blaster bolts and the like.
    The Sith haven't lost any of the old techniques and have spent their lives training to combat against lightsabers.
    So as good as Qui-Gon is, against a lightsaber duelist as skilled as Maul, he fails.
    Also, Maul clearly mapped out the area and had planned the entire battle out long before the fight actually began. His so called retreats were all a facade. Do you think it was coincidence or luck that he managed to lead Qui-Gon away from Obi-Wan in such a way as he did? As Obi-Wan says, "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."
    Maul was the one with advantage, not Qui-Gon.

12. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    What I heard was that Qui-Gon was not a strong FIGHTER but was VERY strong in the Force

Actually, in the TPM novelization, it says that Qui-Gon was one of the most skilled swordsmen in the entire Jedi order. His age was beginning to deteriorate him yes, but he was always a strong fighter.

13. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    What sepharih said. Maul chose his battle ground. Either he learned the layout of the area he was to confront the Jedi and the Queen, and/or he had extraordinary situational awareness. The best Jinn and Kenobi were capable of was a stalemate, and Maul was setting the tempo for most of the battle. He underestimated Jinn's ability to capitalize, but sadly, Qui-Gon couldn't follow through fast enough the one time he had an advantage (when he kicked Maul off the walkway)

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Exactly. Maul was playing to all his own advantages in that duel, and he'd chosen the setting he wanted for it. Also, remember that in the martial arts, size isn't necessarily an asset. A smaller fighter who is more agile than his bulkier opponent can turn the opponent's size against him at times. That's exactly why Maul does so much darting about in that duel - the combination of Qui-Gon's size and age really works against him.

15. qui-gon29

qui-gon29 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Qui-Gon Jin= the best swordsman of the Jedi, I keep hearing about age and such remember that Jedi lifespans are diffrent than normal people look at Yoda. So what you have is Qui-Gon at about 60 years there is not any replacement for experience and Qui-Gon had it as well as being a great swordsman and force user in some situations size is not an issue but given Qui-Gon's tall frame he could have had a longer reach with his saber and that would make it harder to get in close to attack him. Qui-Gon gave himself up in this battle and that is the only reason Maul defeated him. Advantage Qui-Gon in a fight he wants to win.

16. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    The Sith trained exclusively for Lightsaber battles, the Jedi have come to master bolt deflection and defense.
    And if you watch the Phantom Menace fight very closely, you can see exactly when Darth Maul gets tired of playing with Qui-gon and decides to finish him. ( It's right before he kills Qui-Gon, Maul's face shows extreme anger for a second. )

So no, height doesn't make a difference in Lightsaber battles. As mentioned before, look at Yoda. The factors in a lightsaber battle are force power, technique and age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.