main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maul vs. Vader

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DarthJava, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJava

DarthJava Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2002
    I know this has probably been discussed before, if so lock this thread.

If it were possible, who would win a Maul vs. Vader lightsaber duel?

Whoever comes out on top, it would be pretty damn cool :D

edit/ see last post

2. The_Shadow_SITH

The_Shadow_SITH Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Vader would beat Maul like a baby in one minute. :)

3. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Maul-- spin, dance, twirl, attack.

Vader-- Force chokes the little punk.

4. The_Shadow_SITH

The_Shadow_SITH Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Agree with you LeeKenobi, I do. Funny, it is.

5. DarthJava

Aug 13, 2002
    No way man!

Vader, the slow, lumbering clutz who struggled to beat an old man and a boy, who couldn't devote himself to the Dark Side, would be no match for the accomplished sith Maul.

Maul beat a jedi master and nearly creamed his apprentice as well. He was completely devoted to the Dark Side.

The stiff, mechanical Vader would be struggling to keep up with the nimble Maul and his double-light-saber.

6. Chamby_X

Chamby_X Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    I love Maul, but come on. Vader would destroy him in seconds. His force powers alone would defeat Maul, he probably wouldn't even have to reach for his saber. Remember, we're talking about the most powerful force user in history here. Against someone who's really good with the lightsaber.

I'm sure Vader faces and kills a lot of good saberists during the jedi purge.

7. DarthJava

Aug 13, 2002
    So why did Vader struggle against Obi-Wan and Luke in ESB?

How come Luke kicked his ass in ROTJ?

By the OT, Vader was a cripple AND an old man.

8. Red-Talon

Red-Talon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2002
    Here's how it works:

Anakin pre-suit > Maul.

In a match of pure sabers, Maul > Vader post-suit.

In a match of force powers Vader > Maul.

Lucas calls Vader "the cripple", Obi-Wan the "old man", and Luke "the untrained boy" when referring to the OT fights. Vader isn't anywhere near the physical compacity of Maul, while his force powers surpass Maul without a shred of a doubt, in a saber only match he couldn't keep up with Maul.

Force choking another force user isn't as easy as some would hope, he wouldn't be able to just choke Maul in the middle of the fight, so if he just decided to fight Maul Saber to Saber I don't think he'd come out on top.

However, Vader is very strong in the force, I assume he'd be able to win using tactics similar to battling Luke in Bespin.

However, people give up on Maul too quickly. He easily took on Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at the same time, killed a skilled Jedi Master, beat his very angry Padawan, and only lost because his own cockyness. He was also very young at the time, had he been given time to grow and become wiser and less of a pure weapon as he originally was, he would've posed more of a threat than before.

9. Chamby_X

Chamby_X Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    Ok, well if you lock Vader in time as the ESB and ROTJ Vader, when he IS an old man, I suppose Maul's acrobatics give him the edge, if we like you say neutralize Vader's strength in the force. Though I'm not convinced we can do that, look at the way he used the force in the ESB fight with Luke.

What about the younger Vader, in his prime, during the purge of the jedi? When he's still young, is fully in the dark side (not leaning towards the light like in ROTJ). You can't just throw aside Vader's incredible force power in this equation. What else does the force do besides give you certain powers, well it increases your speed, reaction time, ability to see the future, like he did as a boy in podracing.

I don't believe that Maul, a great sabreist but supposedly, from what we were shown (only force push) an average force user, would beat Vader in his prime, fully in the dark side, with the force working for him (at incredible potency) increasing his speed, reaction time etc.

10. DarthJava

Aug 13, 2002
    I would agree that Vader (pre-suit) would beat Maul. Anakin, after turning to the Dark Side but not yet crippled would be one of the most powerful sith ever, if not THE most powerful.

After putting on the suit, though, even as a younger man, Vader would get beaten by Maul.

11. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Those who think Vader would whoop Maul in seconds are being silly. While I agree that Vader would come out on top...it would not be easy.

This is how I believe it would go down...

Vader and Maul would slash at each other, with Maul's superior speed and saber ability giving him the edge.

Maul would swarm Vader and overwhelm him...

With victory in his grasp...Maul would begin to toy with Vader...

Vader would use this opening to bum-rush and defeat Maul.

Maul...better fighter
    Vader...coolness factor alone guarantees his victory...

Remember...On paper, the Patriots were supposed to lose the Superbowl by 28 points....

On paper...Maul has the edge...but fights don't happen on paper.

12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Sabre to sabre, Maul would own.

But Vader tore through the jedi ranks like the 'Falcon through an asteroid field; he's the reason why there is only Yoda, Ben and Luke.
    Vader has telekinesis, Force manipulation (eg. throat crush) and mind tricks at his disposal.

Maul gets surprised by Obi-Wan doing a body-length jumpover him, while Vader faces off against Han Solo, the fastest gun draw that we know off, and stops the blaster bolts with his hand.

Vader would beat Maul into the ground if he was able bring his entire arsenal into play.

13. Die_Jedi_Dogs

Die_Jedi_Dogs Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2002
    Did anyof you actually read the Comic where Maul fought Vader? Maul had the upper hand then Vader just opened a can on him and wooped him from here to Mexico.

14. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    So why did Vader struggle against Obi-Wan and Luke in ESB?

How come Luke kicked his ass in ROTJ?

Vader did not struggle against Obi-Wan; he managed to kill him. And he was thoroughly kicking Luke's butt in TESB.

And in ROTJ, he wasn't trying to kill Luke. He and the Emperor were trying to turn Luke to the dark side.

And if Maul is so great, then how did a Padawan manage to kill him?

Vader all the way.

15. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Lord Maul doesn't stand a chance against Darth Vader.

16. DarthJava

Aug 13, 2002
    Vader did not struggle against Obi-Wan; he managed to kill him. And he was thoroughly kicking Luke's butt in TESB.

Come on! It took him, what, 10 minutes+ to finish off an old man only a few years away from the old folks home?

And in ROTJ, he wasn't trying to kill Luke. He and the Emperor were trying to turn Luke to the dark side.

Excuses, excuses...

And if Maul is so great, then how did a Padawan manage to kill him?

Obi-Wan was on the verge of becoming a jedi knight at that point. Also, Maul effectively had him beaten, over the ledge. He got cocky. All he has to do was smash Qui-Gon's lightsabre and it would have been game over for Ben. Besides, he had fought TWO JEDI AT ONCE, and killed a jedi MASTER (Qui-Gon) along the way. Could Vader have done that? NOOOO He got his ass kicked by Luke, who by PT standards would have barely been a padawan.

Vader all the way.

Maul would kick Vader's ass in 2 seconds flat, and you know it :p

17. Slave-2

Slave-2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    Who'd win if Maul was to take on Vader as Anakin?

18. Die_Jedi_Dogs

Die_Jedi_Dogs Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2002
    ...who wiped almost all the Jedi from the face of the Galaxy? Thats an awfull lot of Masters, Knights, and Padawans. Seems to me that Vader is way better than Maul.

19. DarthJava

Aug 13, 2002
    ...who wiped almost all the Jedi from the face of the Galaxy? Thats an awfull lot of Masters, Knights, and Padawans. Seems to me that Vader is way better than Maul.

Have you seen Episode 3? No you haven't. So you don't KNOW that Vader wiped out the jedi. It could very well have been the stormtroopers who did it.

20. poweranger

poweranger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2002
    java,

vader did not struggle against old ben, he held his own -

go back and watch ESB again, he toys with luke the way a cat plays with its food!

vader lost to luke in rotj because he held back when he should have wiped him out - he talked too much when he should have been throwing punches.

(then a wrinkled old man got up and showed vader how its done)

also, funny how this crippled old man still had enough power to kill the emperor AFTER luke beat him down! :-D

21. Dampo

Dampo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2002
    Maul would win, easily. Vader is old, fat and out of shape. Maul is young, thing and can kick some major a*s. He beat 2 Jedi Masters and 1 apprentice(following the EU of course)..

22. ChancellorGoauld

ChancellorGoauld Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    Maul would win, hands down.

Just because you like Vader and he has more of a character, doesn't mean he's going to win against someone who can actually fight (and walk normally).

23. DarthSkywalker3

DarthSkywalker3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2002
    All you Vader doubters wait until E3 and then you will see why Vader is the most feared man in the universe and the Choose One.

Also who killed the great Sith master Sidous. Not Maul who got beat by a Padawan.

24. A-New-Hope

A-New-Hope Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2002
    Most of you who argue that Maul has better moves, yada yada yada... You forget that we've only seen the evil Vader as we know him in the OT. At that time, big kung-fu kicking Matrix style moves were not as prevalent as it is right now. Lucas hired a martial arts expert to play Maul just to get that spinning/kicking/twirling effect to keep up with today's genre of action movies. If Lucas redid the OT, I'm sure we'd see Vader making much better moves today and then everyone would agree Vader would kick Maul's butt. I'm sure we'll see some of it in Epi III. I mean come on, did anyone anticipate how active Obi Wan would be in Epi I+II when you first saw him in ANH or TESB? Seeing that now, would'nt you expect Obi to win Vader if they fought again on the Death Star?

25. Red-Talon

Red-Talon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2002
    I highly doubt we'll see why Vader is so feared during Episode 3, he'll be Anakin through most of the film, as Lucas has said, its mostly Anakin, not Vader. With the short time we'll be seeing Vader I doubt we'll get anymore glimpses of Vader in the suit besides a talk with Palpetine or some other Imperial official/worker.

Also, Vader didn't really defeat Sidious, he grabbed a man with the body of a 400 year old while in the middle of combat and tossed him down the core meanwhile getting his brain fried. Overcoming the Dark Side, saving his son, going against his Sith Master is what was impressive about that, not because he defeated Sidious, no fighting skill involved.

And Maul didn't get beat by a Padawan, he decisively beat Obi-Wan, and had him right where he wanted, had he smashed Qui-Gon's saber early, or just cut Obi-Wan's arm off, or possibly a mere kick to Obi-Wan's face and he would've been gone. He only died because his own carelessness and cocky ways, which are problems he had, but should not be confused with his combat skills, so will all the Maul haters please stop using that arguement.

*edit* To what A-New-Hope said, Lucas says the PT has better moves for a reason, despite the fact they weren't available to him when the OT was made, he has given Obi-Wan, Luke, and Vader's poorer fighting skills as an on screen reason. He refers to Obi-Wan as the "old man", Luke the "untrained boy", and Vader the "cripple". Also, its obvious Obi-Wan's body isn't what it used to be in ANH, that was the reason he couldn't get into the same physical action in Ep1 and Ep2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.