main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maverick of the Living Force ~~~New Challenge: First Padawan Important Announcement ~~~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Layren, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Hello everyone! Welcome to the Qui-Gon Jinn Discussion thread! Just like in the old thread, this is the place to discuss everything about our favorite Master from his childhood to padawanship, knighthood, Mastership, hobbies, likes and pet peeves :D

Here is a link to the original Qui-Gon Thread Letting Qui-Gon's Be Qui-Gon's

Mission Statement

-Our Jedi Master is a human being. Meaning he sometimes does spectacularly stupid things. He is reckless, very stubborn, rather overconfident, sometimes acts a bit arrogant, is sometimes distant and, in the odd fic or two, evil. (Evil does not automatically equal stupid ...look at Sidious! He may be arrogant but not stupid! :D )
    -However...a lot of the time he does spectacularly clever things. And is also wise, compassionate, mostly kind and very
    determined. (also very good looking...sorry couldn't resist ;) )

So let's kick back and enjoy the new thread!

Here is a complete list of all the challenges. We have done 1-5 and 10.

1) Haiku
    2) kill challenge - write about Qui-Gon seeing a first time kill by a) Dooku, b) Qui-Gon, c) one of his padawans or d) one of his friends (whoever that might be)
    3) Action Qui
    4) flash fiction between 101-499 words on any topic
    5) broken nose
    6) long hair challenge
    7) Evil Qui
    8) Qui trying to pick his first padawan
    9) Qui doing something that earns or furthers his label of rogue
    10) Romance
    11) picture round-robin
    12) day in the life (alternate lifestyle for Qui)
    13) day in the life of Jedi Qui
    14) Undercover Qui
    15) Interviewing Qui
    16) Qui-Gon realizes that he's getting older
    17) drabbles exactly 100 words.
    18) Childhood Qui

Edit -- Fic plugging is allowed if you have something useful to contribute to the discussion and if it has a considerable amount of Qui-Gon in it. Please, no drive by spamming and post a link to your story only if it is within the ratings and guidelines at tf.net. No offsite advertising please -- Thank you :)

Current Challenge:

First Padawan Challenge:

First Padawan challenge - Qui-Gon, Knight and Jedi of the Living Force, is about to do something scary - pick his first Padawan. This can be AU or canon so you can mess with it as much as you like. Will his first be Obi-Wan or Xanatos or even Mace Windu? Will it be an OC? How about a very young Yoda? shock You get to choose. Starts July 5.

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Aha! Here it is! Evil does not automatically equal stupid ...look at Sidious! Of course it doesn't equal stupid. ;) It equals exsquisite tastes in clothing, dabbling with the Dark Side...*ahem* sorry started to get carried away there. :)p and I won't mention him for your sake Master ;) hehehehe)

3. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    Thanks for this, Layren. :D

And you know, we should celebrate with a picture:

[image=http://www.heartstars.net/sw/niftyquipic.jpg]

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ahhh, here's the new thread.

I was just thinking how we need a pic or two for decoration.

And I don't think Qui-Gon is a buckethead in the least..., that's just a figment of the Qui-haters imagination. ;) :p

5. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I wish people wouldn't scare me like that!!!!!

It's going to take me forever to find this thread in the list you know. I just recently got my eyes trained for the other title...

Well, at least we won't have to worry about mysterious missing posts and so on, eh?

KD

6. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I would have felt the same way had I not gotten a heads-up k_d and no worries of missing posts here. LOL!

I also have to thank you for making my night, was feeling a bit low till I read your post on An Imrobable Mission. [face_blush]

7. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Ok we were challenging each other in the other thread and I challenge Healer_Leona to write a Xani/Jinn fic with evil Xani :D

Extra bonus points if Obi-Wan is not in the fic to hurt Qui emotionally :p Be creative ;) I look forward to seeing what you can do with it :D

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Here's the link to the challenge thread

Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge Thread

Oh, we've also done #10 romance [face_love].

I also just realized something. There is no character index for stories of Qui-Gon Jinn other than the ones on the challenge thread. Hummmmmm.....

Now, I will ask the same question I asked in the Obi-Wan thread. How would the SW universe have changed if Qui-Gon did not exist?

9. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/dianethx/quikiltredone.bmp]

A fine looking man in a kilt - even if he is Coruscant Irish.

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Yes!! =P~ best one! (besides that almost naked one by/on the rock that you or somebody had. Hmmm who had that and where was that taken?

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    KD has that one and it's probably a little too risque for these boards... although I enjoyed it.

12. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Yes, I have that one. Though, now that I think about it I'm not sure I can find it again. Pity, cause I did find my scan a while back. Though it is true that it looks like he's wearing almost less clothing than Leia's slave bikini so I think I'll refrain from posting it this time.

As for how the SW universe would be different if Qui-Gon hadn't existed. Well, I think lots of things would be different. And you're all going to be sorry Diane asked because this is loooonnnnggggg

Xanatos would not have been taken to the Temple, he'd have lived a life of leisure, confused by the odd feeling of loss. So he wouldn't have formed his mining company (though might still have been a bad guy) and a Jedi Knight would not have been sent to Bandomeer to deal with the fighting mining companies or whatever it was. Obi-Wan would still have aged out of the program because the notion that Yoda was machinating is more a fanon thing than a canon thing. Obi-Wan and Bruck were fighting before the stuff about Qui-Gon and had been for a long time so it would have just been something else that set them off. So Obi-Wan would still have not found a master and would still have been on the transport and would probably have been killed by the Hutt. If not, it is possible he would have made it to the Agricorps and worked there. I think he would eventually have done something to protect someone somewhere and died because he wouldn't have had the backup and or training. Or he might have gone darkside.

Tahl might easily have retained her sight because she wouldn't have been delayed leaving M/D or not even been sent at all, and so would have survived on her own in the later mission. So Bant would have had her Master through knighthood. Unless Tahl had picked someone else because she did have her sight and was therefore more adventurous.

And Anakin's life would have been a great deal different since I highly doubt any other Jedi would have taken Anakin away from Tatooine if they had even gone there and would most likely not have befriended him so would not have been rescued from the sandstorm and had him offer them a way out. And if they had, and even if they had taken it they still wouldn't have taken him with them. Just given him a short lecture about using his gift for good and not evil or something.

So he would have stayed on Tatooine. Eventually, probably when he was between thirteen and fifteen or so, he'd have had all the parts for his own pod and saved up enough for the entry fee and would have entered the race on his own. He'd have won and been able to buy his mother's freedom unless Watto refused in which case he'd have bought his own first. She'd have married Cleigg and Anakin would have gotten himself free sometime after that (or her and then she'd marry Cleigg).

A human winning a pod race would have been big news so Palpatine or Maul (who might have survived if not facing the Temple's best lightsaber pair) might have been interested in him by then.

Even if not, eventually, Ani'd have gotten bored with Tatooine and he'd have joined up with the sorts of unsavory types that pick pilots up from Mos Eisley or wherever. He'd have ended up working as a pilot with smuggler types, possibly even ended up on a pirate vessel. Where he would have met a older woman. A blond who would turn out to be a Jedi in disguise. He'd have fallen for her, and she for him because in this universe Obi-Wan didn't get a last minute reprieve so wasn't there for her to fall for. So then we'd have Sirikins. And Luke and Leia would both be blond with attitude and respecting authority problems.

Or if he didn't run into Siri, he'd get collected by Palpatine. Who wouldn't have had as much trouble with his Naboo venture because the one being in the universe who could accidentally destroy the droid control ship wouldn't have been there. So Padmé would still be fighting a guerilla war against the Trade federation and if Palpy didn't have Ani yet, she would meet Ani when the smuggler he piloted for brought the Naboo some weapons or something.

Oh, and Doo

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    NO, KD, these are great plot bunnies. I loved the Sirikins one. [face_laugh] And it's not unplausable!

14. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    What a beautiful new thread :)

I hope you take that challenge Leona! [face_love]

And great little bunnies you've got hopping around there KD!

15. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Not that you've thought about it all huh k_d LOL! I have to agree with lots in her ideas.

Xanatos would not have been brought to the Temple. He would have been a pampered, spoiled brat and still been the bane to the planet Telos from the influence of his greedy father. Instead of stepping into the Sacred Pools, which he made toxic, the people of the planet would have rose up in rebellion and dipped him in themselves. ;)

Obi-Wan would not have become a Jedi. Qui-Gon had been his last hope. He'd been off to the AgriCorps anyway. Best case scenario, please refer to Should As Strangers We Meet. :D Worst case, his recklessness and temper would have gotten him killed at an early age.

Anakin, either killed in a pod race as a child. The other contestants never did seem too pleased with his humaness. or like k_d, I think Sidious would have felt him through the Force no matter what.. and in that case there'd have been no Luke or Leia.

16. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Instead of stepping into the Sacred Pools, which he made toxic, the people of the planet would have rose up in rebellion and dipped him in themselves.

LOL. When I read that however, I was thinking - did Leona mean that Xan stepped into the Pools and that made them toxic? [face_laugh] I know his mining operation made them toxic but just for a moment.... :D

17. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    t_s, yes I should have stated I'll take up the challenge, though who knows when this old brain will get soemthing done. [face_laugh]

Diane, I laughed at how you read it.. too funny. Though okay, it could be read that way and as bad as he would have been without the Jedi and Qui-Gon in his life he could have polluted them... ;)

Just because I love this pic..

[image=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/healerleona/2a440112.jpg]
    Prime Qui-Gon

Grainy, I know, but his chocolatey goodness shines through. :D [face_love]

18. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    LOL you guys crack me up. Actually, I do find some of the ideas (the Sirikin for one) to be terribly intriguing ideas to run with. I may have to do some of those AUs

I forget, are the Jedi survey questions supposed to be answered in this thread or in the story thread?

KD

19. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    I guess it doesn't really matter, KD.. go ahead :D

Edit -- If Qui-Gon didn't exsist, Obi would have been sent to the Agricorps. Xani would have corrupted the population of Telos and gotten away with it.. Anakin would have been discovered by Sidious MUCH Much earlier. Anakin was so bright I fail to see why the rest of the Jedi didn't sense him earlier. Possibly the Dark Side at work even there, masking him from being found..

20. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    KD, the survey was supposed to be answered in this thread - unless, of course, you made it into a story...

It's been very interesting to see the different viewpoints on what would have happened if Qui-Gon had not existed in the SW universe.... this thread and the Obi-Wan thread have vastly different ideas. Intriguing!

21. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    No mention of Sirikins please. [face_sick] There is a Siriwanner present. [face_love]8-}

Like I said on the Obi thread ...

Xanatos and Anakin would not have been found, but I do think that someone else would have trained Obi-Wan (what can I say?, I'm biased)

22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    this thread and the Obi-Wan thread have vastly different ideas. Intriguing! And yet not surprising at all. LOL! ;)

23. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    It all depends upon your point of view...LOL.

I adore both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon so I try to see as balanced a view as possible. But I'm also a big proponent of evidence to back up my views (unless I'm just making it up as I go along and then I'll say so).

Also, I wonder if Dooku would have fallen to the Dark that much sooner without a Padawan to train...

24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Also, I wonder if Dooku would have fallen to the Dark that much sooner without a Padawan to train... Intriguing question.

I think perhaps he would have. Qui-Gon's unerring belief in the Force would have been a good influence on Dooku, perhaps would have given Dooku a reason, hope in fact to keep faith in the Order.

I do wonder at what point Sidious contacted Dooku. It did seem that he stepped up his plans after Naboo. It was Qui-Gon that sense and offered his opponent was a sith (Maul), while the others scoffed. I believe he would have seen through Palpatine as the others did not.

25. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    The following is the transcript of Qui-Gon Jinn's survey response:

What age were you brought to the Temple? I was brought to the temple at the age of fifteen months.

What are your hobbies? *a laugh* My padawan would say 'irritating the Council'. I enjoy my rotas on the gardening and culinary tracks. I am less fond of the laundry rota.

Is Mace Windu really your friend? *a pause* The special relationship between a Padawan and a Master can, if the relationship is relatively smooth, result in something very like friendship. Particularly after the Padawan is Knighted, and has had some time to find his or her own way alone. But, it can't ever really be the same as a friendship between people who have not had that shared, mentor/student relationship.

What are your thoughts on the rules in general and the Jedi Code specifically? The Jedi Code has been reinterpreted many times during the course of the Order. I believe we may have moved away from one of our oldest and strongest tenents, namely to do the will of the Force. I also believe that our rules have been refined a bit further perhaps from the Code than is best for the Jedi Order.

Are there any suggestions you have for improvement with the current system? I believe we should move back to bring the Order more in line with doing the will of the Force rather than the will of the Senate or the Council. Which is not to say that I believe that the Council is not doing what they believe to be the will of the Force.

How do you think the program for the initiates is doing and how would you change it if you could? The initiate program seems to work well for the most part. I believe it would benefit the Order to add time spent in learning about the Living Force to the studies of all initiates, even the youngest ones.

Are the missions you are sent on compatible with your interests and capabilities? Please explain. For the most part. I believe it would benefit us to not focus quite so narrowly on who would be best suited for which kind of mission.

Do you feel you?re given adequate breaks in between missions? *a longer laugh than before followed by a pause* I believe the Jedi are being spread too thin, partly through being used in pairs for missions on which a single Jedi partnered with an appropriate Republic public servant would be a sufficient Jedi presence. In addition the shortage of Jedi for the number of missions undertaken means that there is very little in the way of breaks between missions at all. It seems to me that this is counter-productive in the long run. Even for Jedi.

What is your opinion of the academic training programs for Padawans? I am grateful that I am not solely responsible for the complete education of my Padawan. If I were, he would be considerably less knowledgeable about hyperspace mechanics and most of the engineering disciplines. And, much more alarmingly, we would still be trapped on... well, in a distant and somewhat inhospitable location.

Do you think the Republic works the way it should? Unfortunately, there seems to be more pointless bureaucracy and corruption in the Republic than one would like to see. I believe it would behoove us to look into some of the more egregious cases.

How should the Council and Jedi interact with outsiders? I believe we need to do a better job of befriending the general public. Too many of them know nothing about us but the information they pick up off badly researched holoprograms.

What is your favorite food, drink and dessert? I really don't have a particular favorite food or drink. Other than, I still can't really eat finnefowl. As for desserts, while people seem to think that chocolate is my favorite, I actually prefer a simple fruit tart.

Do you enjoy cooking or do you prefer to eat at the cafeteria? I do enjoy cooking, despite persistent rumors that I can't even boil water. But I do not have time to cook regularly. So I limit myself to special occasion meals. Which means

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.