main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Mav's Away Thread - Mav is away for a bit...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 20, 2009.

1. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Be good? Where's the fun in that? [face_mischief]

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Project: TOS-violating crack!fic is underway!

obsessedwithSW likes this.
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm back!

I see you guys at least didn't blow things up! :p

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    You should have posted before mavjade got back! Now it's too late! :_|

Welcome back mavjade!!

5. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Welcome back :)

6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm going on a cruise for most of next week and since the internet is $0.75/minute, I won't be on it at all! *tries to not start shaking just thinking about internet withdrawal*
    So I'm going green tonight and I'll be back on Friday afternoon at the latest.

Though I'm on Carnival so if I don't show up by then, I may be stranded out at sea!

You guys have fun and try not to blow the place up! :p

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    *Hides the ACME boxes* WE'LL BE GOOD!!!

Have fun!

Juliet316 and mavjade like this.
  8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Bahahahaahahaha!!! :cool: When the Mod is gone the fanficers will play. I'm going to post a B-Mod, Gender Bender, MC, Xeno-OC angsty crackfic! :D

Have a good time. I hope you don't get stranded...and if you do...I really hope the toilets work!!! I am sure it will be fine. Have fun! [face_dancing]

Lady_Misty and mavjade like this.
  9. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    :p Looking forward to finding that fic there, J_L!

Have fun, mav! We won't let the place blow up!

Lady_Misty and Jedi_Lover like this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Have fun mav! But all the ones who've ever been on cruises say Princess and Royal Caribbean are the best. So, I hope your trip is uneventful in the oops! department. Yeah, I'd be going through internet withdrawal too. :eek: [face_mischief]

11. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    mav - hope you have fun! I actually didn't mind not having internet on my cruise back in January. It was nice and relaxing. Of course, that was the weekend they announced J.J. Abrams was directing Episode VII. Our blog staff was not very happy, and said Brian and I aren't allowed to go on vacation ever again, LOL.

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks all! I'm back, managed not to get stranded and actually didn't miss the internet too much! :)

13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Welcome back! Other than the not-getting-stranded part I hope the cruise went well! I tend to skip the internet when I travel, which is fine, except for all the piled up e-mail when I get back.

14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey all!

I'm going green tomorrow through the following Saturday (November 2nd - November 9th) as I'm going to Alabama for 'Hospital Emergency Response Training for Mass Casualty Incidents' at FEMA's Center for Domestic Preparedness. I'm super excited about it! :D
    They say we'll have internet in our rooms, but I have no idea how true that is, or how much time I'll have, so I may be around a little bit or maybe not at all.

You guys try not to cause too much trouble for Bri! ;)

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sounds totally exciting. :D

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Have fun!

17. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Sounds fun. Firefighters participating too?

18. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Have fun, mavjade! Try not to overdo it with your training and mandatory carousing!

mavjade likes this.
  19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks all! :)

One of my coworkers is also a firefighter, but he can't go because he was on at the fire house. :( Other than him, I don't know. I don't think anyone from our HazMat team (that's who is sending us) is a firefighter other than my coworker, but I don't know how many people from other places are going to be there. It is open to firefighters, EMS and health care workers.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey guys, I'm back!

I had a blast and didn't want to come back home! The highlight of my time was when we went to COBRA training and did COBRA ALLY (Chemical, Ordinance, Biological and RAdiation training) and got exposed to live nerve agents. It was a little scary (especially after we talked about what they could do to people all week) but it was more fun/interesting than scary.

earlybird-obi-wan - You asked about firefighters? Yes, there were a ton of them there, also a lot of retired military. The guys I hung out with the most were a part of a state's Search and Rescue team, most of which were firefighters. (They were there for another class which was almost all firefighters, police and paramedics.)

I apologize to anyone that got an auto response PM from me while I was gone. This system sends one to people when they PM a mod when that mod has been offline for more than 3 days, but it was sending them to PMs that were done and over with and I have no idea why. 8-}

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  21. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Quick, hide the evidence! O:):eek: [face_liarliar][face_whistling]

mavjade and Nyota's Heart like this.
  22. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Welcome back!

Hmmmmmm, live nerve agents. I didn't do that on my trip (got back yesterday). I don't think I would do well with COBRA training.;) But what an interesting bit of background info for fanfics. [face_thinking]

mavjade likes this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Welcome back. I am back for seven days now from Lanzarote. I had to do CPR on the beach there, assisting a beach guard. We had all the help in the world (a doctor and her husband and two ambulance crews coming on scene within minutes of her collapse) but she didn't make it.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    earlybird-obi-wan -- :eek: You'd think with all that super-quick on the spot help from those who know what they're doing would have had a happier outcome. :( @};- [:D] [:D] I wikipediaed Lanzrote [face_laugh] and it sounds a beautiful place. :)

25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    TV makes doing CPR seem like it works all the time, in the real world less than 8% of people who recieve CPR outside of the hospital survive (and that's if someone saw it happening). With the AED's being so common now, that number is up from where it used to be, but again, TV gives a very false sense of when you can 'shock' someone.
    The statistic of people who survive is slightly higher inside a hospital, but not by a huge margine.
    I've done and been present for a lot of high quality CPR in my life, and while it's better than doing nothing because sometimes you can bring someone back, it just doesn't work all that often.

[/depressingly hijacking my own thread]