main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Max Dynamics Test

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by datoolman, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. datoolman

datoolman Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2001
    Just playing around with the Max Dynamics system and a plug-in. Thought I would throw it out here.

MOV 1.3MB

D

2. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    You don't have permission to access /files/door_fire.mov on this server. :(

3. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Well that looks cool !

However, it looks like it jumps a bit too much at the end, IMHO...

4. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    Daft: You have to right click and "save as" ;).

5. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    No dice. Tumblemonster cannot download...

-tm

6. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I knew that Link, what do you think I am an idiot!!!?

::cough::

Thanks Link :)

So that's pretty cool Datool. Is that a 'built in' dynamic thing, or do you have to decide and keyframe all of that movement? It's maybe a little bit to 'bouncy' for a heavy door at the end that's all, and I wondered whether you can control that or not?

I really like the way the light from the fire flickers around the walls etc though, that's very effective indeed. How do you go about doing the fire and the lighting from the fire?

7. funkedelic_bob

funkedelic_bob Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2002
    Yes I saw the same thing 2 Daft, a bit too bouncy for that door. If you can make it bounce a little less it will be extreamly good! Great work! :)

8. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    should blow off the hinges at a much higher velocity, and give it more mass, and lower the bounce.

9. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    wow, massive amounts of coolness.

10. datoolman

May 13, 2001
    *NOTE* the link above may need to be pasted into your browser. We have a no leech script on the domain. It will not allow other referrers to offload files.

The Dynamics are built into Max. It requires a lot of tweaks to get a good effect. Max is not know for having a good dynamics system.

The fire is from Digimation as well as the lighting. The plug-in handles everything. To speed up the render I left out flame shadows.

I agree that it is to slow coming off the hinges and the bounce is a little overdone. I mainly wanted to see how well it would interact with the walls and floor.

There is also another flaw in the animation. The door deformation acts funny. The key framing didn't work as expected. I didn't notice it till after render. I will see if I can't tweak it.

The next version I am working on has new textures that actually look more realistic. The ones before were just to have something there.

Thanks for the advice and I will work on it this evening. :)

D

11. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    toolman: i've never used max, so i don't really know how it works, but do you really need to keyframe anything? In maya, I would just set the initial velocity, spin, etc., and let Maya dynamics handle the rest. can Max do this?

12. datoolman

May 13, 2001
    It depends on what you are animating. Particles can be set just like you mentioned. This can include objects (meshes) attached to a particle space warp and let's say for example ... exploded. All the dynamics are handled by the particle settings... spin, timing, collision etc...

For something like the test movie I posted you actually set up a dynamics simulation and include all the objects in your scene that will have to interact with each other. You can add and assign real world effects like gravity and wind. You then can set paramaters for each object in your scene like how bouncy it is and how much friction the material has when in contact with another surface. They are many other settings... I am just brushing on a few.

You then tell Max to solve the simulation. It will do all the collision calculations and then all you have to do is render and you are done.

Did that answer your question ?

D

13. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    does it handle the calculations as rigid body dynamics?

14. datoolman

May 13, 2001
    You can set it to any IK settings you have for objects in your scene. I don't know if that is what you mean.

D

15. datoolman

May 13, 2001
    Here is a corrected test. Dynamics have been changed... lights added as well as shadows. Textures have been changed and a few items added to the room.

MOV 800K * copy and paste to your browser.

D

16. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Thats awesome, datoolman!
    The only thing left to correct now I should think is instead of the door increasing its speed gradually as it is blown away, decrease it instead. Only slightly though, but it should be at its top speed when is explodes out of its place.

Carl

17. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    Yeah, the door shouldn't be speeding up. Other than that, awesome! Great job.

18. datoolman

May 13, 2001
    Thanks guys... yes that's the only thing I didn't correct yet. I should be able to fix it without much hastle. I will post a new vid as soon as I get a chance to mess with it.

Tks
    D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.