main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Max Question: Particle Systems and Rigid Body Collections

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by BrentK7, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Hey guys. Got a Max question for you. I have a SuperSpray system that I want to add to a rigid body collection so I can then have reactor simulate all the movement of the particles (so they will you know, do reactor type stuff :) ) Anyway, I cannot include a superspray into a RBC. So how do you accomplish this? Tried googling it but I just come up pretty emptyhanded, and the reactor guide doesn't cover it either.

Once I get this to work I am going to try to do the same with a soft body collection to get some different effects.

Thanks for the info in advance!

2. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    You can't.

Particles aren't part of Reactor, they can't be included in any simulation. TO have them react to things you have to use helper objects called Deflectors. The one you would want to use is called a UDeflector, once you make the UDeflector helper you just select the object that you want to deflect particles, then set how particles bounce on it and so on. Then to make the particles interact with that, you select the (I think) it's the third icon by the link/unlink icons at the top left side, you select that tool, then click and drag from the UDeflector to the particle system and it will then have the particles interact when they hit it.

3. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    hey thanks man. worked just fine for me. so how would one get the effects of the objects being in a softbody collection. Like for instance if I wanted jello cubes to rain from the sky and bounce on the ground.

that is not what i'm doing but I just would like to know how to get the "jello" effect to a cube without using reactor. Thanks again!

4. PalpatineSpecter

PalpatineSpecter Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2004
    I want the particles which fell to appear on the plane for the entire animation?

5. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Jello? I would actually do that as Reactor and not as particles. Just because it wouldn't be possible with particles but it might not be a good idea to even think about doing something like it raining Jello, doesn't seem practical.

As for the particle appearance, you just have to change the settings in the particle emitter, set the life to longer and for it to appear longer. Or just do a search in the User Reference because it's extremely helpful.

6. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    Isn't that one of the biggest advantages of Motion Graphics? It doens't have to be practical...?

heh, thanks for the help man!

7. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Well, yeah, but that doesn't really make sense unless you have a land of candy canes and chocolate in which case that would make perfect sense.

8. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    perhaps I do.......perhaps I.....do.

heh thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.