main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Max von Sydow in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Hellhammer, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

What if Max played both Obi-Wan's Force ghost and a costumed Sith lord?

dyous87 likes this.
  2. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Yeah, cuz there's a long list of 85 year olds serving in the military.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If the Empire were still the major power in the galaxy then he may have retired by now. However, with the Alliance victory at Endor keeping his fleet under his command may be the only thing keeping him from being prosecuted as a war criminal. He may also be a warlord with significant territory for himself and why would he give that up just because of age? Wait and see I guess.

4. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I believe Max is TOO good to be an Imperial warlord. He's above that. He'll be a force user. Good, bad, maybe both.

dyous87 and Immortiss like this.
  5. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Wow I never thought of Max playing Obi Wan. They sure do look alike!

[​IMG]

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I... would not have a problem with that.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't see the point of Sydow playing Obi-Wan's force ghost when Lucasfilm has 2(!) perfectly good Obi-Wan's on retainer.

dyous87, Immortiss and D'an like this.
  8. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    What if, and I do dare say what iff, Obi Wan has a bigger role.... or even comes back to life ala ROTJ draft?

9. visionz13

visionz13 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    I like that idea...a lot. Max as Obi Wan. Wow

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Max von Sydow has a very distinctive voice that sounds absolutely nothing like Alec Guinness. Also the only resemblance between the two that I see is that they're both old. I hope they'd be more creative than "well, this guy is old and Alec was old so... perfect!"

dyous87, BigAl6ft6, Immortiss and 3 others like this.
  11. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I had always pictured Ewan as Force Obi-Wan in the ST. They could just add some makeup and dye his hair.

But I could also be on board with Max playing him instead.

dyous87 and D'an like this.
  12. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Good lord people. At least attempt to have a little faith that they have better plans than to recast Obi Wan.

D'an likes this.
  13. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    I just watched a Max interview from 2012. The resemblence in the face is INSANE! But not so much the voice. Maybe Ewan can help?

14. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

Are you being serious? Cast MVS to play old Obi-Wan and then McGreggor to voice him?

15. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    Ok so what did you see when you read the script?

16. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

Just asked if you were being serious. Clearly you are.

17. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Not this again...

To cast Max as Obi Wan would be an insult and a waste of his time. Ewan or nothing.

If there's any validity to the working title of "The Ancient Fear" than I strongly believe Max is somehow tied to it. Perhaps he's a Jedi who survived order 66. Perhaps he's even older than that. Perhaps he's lived for centuries. Is he Plagueis? Maybe. Maybe not. All I know is the guy has nothing left to prove and he's not going to waste the time he has left on this earth playing a side role like Ben's force ghost or an Imperial officer with a stroller. He will be a major player in this movie. Write it down. Whether or not he's around for the trilogy is debatable.

Keep in mind this is Ming the Merciless we're talking about here- the character that partially inspired George's Emperor. We're talking about Vigo The Carpathian. We're talking about Jesus freaking C. All three aforementioned characters died & resurrected themselves. JJ & company were keenly aware of this when he was cast. They probably even sought him out and asked if he was interested first.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    My vote for what Sidow is probably doing in descending order: 1) New, mastermind villain. 2) Darth Plagueis 3) Old warhorse Imp or Rebel who has lived through the Clone Wars and the Rebellion 4) Inquisitor! 5) Hot dog vendor. 6) Force Ghost Obi-Wan.

Immortiss, dyous87 and TheBBP like this.
  19. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The Hot Dog Vendor is inspired.

For me Max Von Sydow suggests an old, wise, mysterious and dangerous character with more than a hint of the philosophical element. A Master of the dark dramatic arts involved in the 'Great Opera' as it were. I imagine a character with a long, rich and deep past in the history of the GFFA. However predictable I'd expect nothing less considering this man's august talent and career. Besides he's familiar and I like that. He is without a doubt the best and most intriguing actor cast in Episode VII in my opinion and I think his absence in the script reading photo lends itself to the 'mystery'.

*I posted this in the Baddie Thread a few weeks back and thought it belonged here.

D'an, dyous87 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Said this before in this very thread, but how about they go with the Plagueis as Munn EU version (which was actually a directive from Lucas himself) and Andy Serkis motion capture and Sidow for voice.

Immortiss likes this.
  21. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    **** YEAH!

Great points! Who better to ascend the throne of Palpatine than Ming, his forebear? Didn't Spielberg and Lucas hire Sean Connery because who better to play Indy's daddy than "Bond, James Bond"?

D'an, BigAl6ft6 and dyous87 like this.
  22. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    McGregor would be the ideal Force Ghost Obi-Wan, just age him up, give him some facial makeup/prosthetics, he'll be ready to go.

I see Max as either a Sith Lord or Imperial, I would prefer him to be the Master Sith Lord

dyous87, Revanfan1 and Immortiss like this.
  23. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

And he was also Blofeld in "Never Say Never Again."

dyous87, D'an and Immortiss like this.
  24. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    So he is either Obi-Wan or the Big Bad. No pressure, Max.

25. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    Enough with Von Sydow being Obi-Wan!

[​IMG]

Do you really think that J.J does not see what an absolute waste an absolute waste of Max von Sydow's talents would be, just to get him to mimic Alec Guiness as Obi-Wan's Ghost?

Since he has been know for playing evil characters, and I find the whole Obi-Wan theory idiotic, I firmly believe he is playing the new Baddie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.