main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Max von Sydow in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Hellhammer, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Agreed and it shouldn't even be needed. While the EU isn't really relevant anymore, one of the things I liked that about the first Thrawn book was how Luke loses his connection to Obi-Wan's ghost almost right at the start of the book and that even the Force Ghosts are only temporary states of being. I'm not saying that it's necessary for them to do that, but I'd at least wait before putting in Obi-Wan in the ST.

2. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    It's definitely true that he's a wild card. He could play a good guy, bad guy, or someone in between. Here's a crazy fact. MVS is probably the only actor to have portrayed both Satan and Christ -- of course, in different films. He was Christ in The Greatest Story Ever Told, and he was Satan in 2 films: Needful Things and The Soldier's Tale. He also played in the Apostle Peter in a mini-series. So, he can clearly play the good guy just as well as the can play the bad guy.

3. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm very intrigued by who he may or may not be playing

I think it's more likely that he'll be a villain, he just has such gravitas

Jobertus likes this.
  4. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    I agree, because I just can't see him as a good guy in the context of how this cast is being composed.

Think about it—does the ST really need another old, wise good guy? The Big Three fulfill that role perfectly well already. On the other hand, the only bad guy we know about so far is quite young. Plenty of room for an evil puppeteer above him.

Jobertus, markdeez33 and rdhight like this.
  5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I've no idea what role Carl Adolf is up for, but it's sure exciting to ponder it.

I think Max could likely be up for any of the following:

1. Military Veteran of the Clone War, Imperial Period, Galactic Civil War, or some kind of combination of the three. (The "Tarkin" of the ST - esp. if only here for a single picture)

2. Current political Head of State.

3. Surviving Jedi who beat the odds during Order 66 and has come out of hiding to help Luke establish the New Order.

or...

4. Sith Lord. (The "Palpatine" of the ST - destined to be the overarching villain of 7, 8 and 9)

Jobertus and Palpatine's P.A. like this.
  6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    My hopes for his character: an ex-Empire officer or an old Senator/politician/Republic minded fellow who isn't what he seems. I haven't seem many of his films, but the basis of my hope was his great performance in Minority Report:

Ichthyocentaur and solo77 like this.
  7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    My feelings tell me he won't make it past Episode VII.

Jobertus and Dra--- like this.
  8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Could he be a great good guy? Sure. But if you're making a Star Wars movie, it seems like a huge waste not to cast him as a Sith or Imperial -- a bad guy. Usually those are the most interesting roles.

Also, if you cast him as a good guy, you increase the probability of Terence Stamping him. No thanks.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

That was Lucas' fault with his screenplay/story... I don't think we'll have that same issue (HOPEFULLY :p ) with Episode VII.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    For me, the possibilities are:

1. Sith Lord (Whether it's Plagueis or a secret apprentice of Sidious or Vader)
    2. Imperial Remnant from the Battle of Endor
    3. Former Clone Wars commander
    4. Supreme Chancellor
    5. Old Jedi that Luke must seek out
    6. Senator

Jobertus likes this.
  11. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    This was the pleasant surprise for me when the announcement hit. I can't wait to see what part he plays. It will be outstanding, no doubt.

12. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

This was my guess too.

13. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Naga Sydow

14. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    There are people who think that he is going to play Obi Wan's ghost? [face_plain]

Dewback, Jobertus and Mystery Roach like this.
  15. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Such a great actor.
    One of his best movies Hamsun

16. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    Logically speaking, hes not a Jedi given hes older than Luke and Leia. If he has a sizable role, as the casting announcement suggests, that probably makes him evil so I would guess him as a "sith" or Imperial Officer. Given his age I doubt they're counting on him to make an appearance in all three, therefore I would assume he gets offed, and since they're probably planning a 'Sith" enemy for all 3, ala Vader, my logical conclusion is he will be an officer from the Empire days.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Wonder if they connect him somehow to the Rebels series. Due to his age, he can be a veteran of any number of conflicts we already got to see.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Dra--- likes this.
  19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    what if serkis plays a mo-cam version of von sydow, and von sydow provides the voice, and the voice he provides is an imitation of serkis'?

20. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Max von-ception!

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What if he's a chaffeur? Possibly dressed as RoboCop.

22. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I see him as kind of the last of the true imperials, He's outsmarted and stayed alive against the Rebels/New Republic. Joins forces with a Darksider/Sith to help battle the growing jedi and have his own Darth vader like Palpatine did. Ends up getting gutted by said Darksider/Sith At end of Ep.7. Sith Searches for ancient sith race to Usher in the Sith Empire and/or helps in the return of a Sith lord such as Plagueis to finish his training after his failures against Lukes Jedi order.

I think Sydow would be ok as a Sith but i cant see them going with yet another old man sith like Dooku/Sidious.

Dak Oolron and The Hellhammer like this.
  23. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

I like that theory, and I'll take it one step further. Anyone remember the Babylon 5 Earth Civil War arc - could we be looking at an older male version of Elizabeth Lochley's character?

24. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Since they bought Star Wars, Disney has been down playing the PT and really puttin the focus back on the OT, I think they are going to stay far away from the PT that including having charaters lke Obi-wan (young), Qui-Gon, Mace, Palpatine etc... show up in the ST.

Given were they are wit CG effects, they could aos have someone do the lines and just map Alec Guiness's face onto it.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  25. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

That is another option, but I'd personally wait to bring Obi-Wan back into this. Save him for the sequels. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.