main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Max von Sydow in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Hellhammer, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I get the feeling that he might be providing a voice rather than a physical presence. Or, if he does have a physical role, it is a very small one.

Immortiss likes this.
  2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    That's my read as well.

TheBBP likes this.
  3. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

I also loved his betrayal of Tom Cruise in Minority Report. Would love to see something similar between him & Luke.

BigAl6ft6 and Immortiss like this.
  4. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    What ever happened to the rumor of him being a villain more frightening than Pazuzu? Did that get debunked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Immortiss likes this.
  5. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

Not that I've read anywhere. Fingers crossed that he IS that menacing. [face_praying]

6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Genuinely excited to discover Max's role in the ST. The mans an acting leviathan. He'll bring so much thematic weight to the story in whatever role he's down to play. Fantastic piece of casting. *thumbs up*

7. dyous87

dyous87 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2006
    MVS will be playing a villain and possibly the main villain of Episode VII. If rumors are to be believed I assume MVS will be a sort of mastermind or mentor to Driver's character. I have no doubt in my mind that MVS will be playing a villain.

The notion of him playing Kenobi is preposterous to me. We have a fantastic actor in Ewan McGregor if Kenobi if needed. With a little CGI and makeup he can be made to look just like Sir Alec Guinness.

8. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    I'm reasonably certain they will have MVS play a scene of great importance, such as reciting his lines to a hand drawn face tacked to a post, as GL did with another well known actor of cultural significance.

On a more serious note, I agree that MVS's "cultural connotations" are important to the role he will play. So let's not forget that among his significant roles, he played the Messiah - who didn't cheat death, but DEFEATED it.

[​IMG]

9. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    "I am the life. The resurrection"

TK327 and dyous87 like this.
  10. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

That would sound awfully well coming off the mouth of Plagueis or a resurrected Sith Lord.

Immortiss likes this.
  11. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Exactly.

TK327 and Lord_Anzeroth like this.
  12. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    "Death is but a door. Time is but a window. I'll be back."

~Max Von Sydow as the voice of Vigo The Carpathian.

Iron_lord and Immortiss like this.
  13. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    So MVS played Christ....time to play the Anti-Christ.[face_devil]

plaidphoenix and Lord_Anzeroth like this.
  14. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I think hiring MVS just to provide a voice to a cgi character would be a waste of his talent and ability. If all they wanted was someone to provide a voice to a character, they could just have Andy Serkis do the job.

Jcuk, CairnsTony and dyous87 like this.
  15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I wish they'd just release his character's name just move this conversation on a bit now.

dyous87 and Primetime_Jedi like this.
  16. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

That'd be nice. Also to eliminate any possibility of him playing Obi-Wan...

Revanfan1, Dewback, dyous87 and 2 others like this.
  17. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    For the sheer curiosity of it I decided to read the book, Darth Plagueis, just in case they decide to go that route with Episode VII. Normally I avoid the EU like the "plague" ([face_laugh]), but this book looked interesting. So far it's enjoyable. Anyway, Plagueis is a Muun. The only Muun we've seen (I believe) was the Banking Clan guy in AOTC, which was an entirely CG character with long limbs and a skinny head. If they use Plagueis in EpVII, and he's a Muun, it would be awkward I think to have MVS just voicing over it, but also awkward playing it live action. MVS does have a skinny head though.

Iron_lord and Immortiss like this.
  18. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    It depends on the character he portrays. If he's playing a human character that duels they'll have to GGI him anyway as they did Chris Lee. If he's playing and alien being, Anti-Christ type character, then it makes complete sense for him to be a voice only and have the expert, Serkis, provide the motion. Was the talent of James Earl Jones wasted on Darth Vader? I think voicing a character takes a tremendous amount ability and talent. It's work that isn't beneath MVS as long as the character is a central, important figure to the ST story and something that doesn't require a tremendous amount of physical exertion. Serkis would be fine, but it's about whose voice is used. MVS is the actor that characterizes what TPTB want their new villain to represent. His voice is culturally significant.

19. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013
    A bit off-topic, but I think that Plagueis is an amazing book and I hope you continue to like it as you progress through the story.

Back to MVS, I don't think Plagueis will be the baddie MVS will be playing. I think it just makes the galaxy feel a bit smaller if everyone was connected...

Iron_lord and dyous87 like this.
  20. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    That's pretty much a given. (Although I think the Obi-Wan/Vader duel in ANH is proof you can have a lightsaber duel without CGI. It all depends on the pacing you want to set.)

No, JEJ wasn't wasted on Darth Vader and I agree as to the amount of talent it takes to do voice work.

What I should have said is that I think MVS would be put to better use as a non-CGI character. Between Sith, Inquisitor, Jedi, Ex-Jedi, Imperial and Mandalorian, there are plenty of human characters where he could turn in an outstanding performance. That being said, I'll be more then happy to eat my words if MVS turns in a CGI/Voice Over performance that kicks it out of the park.

dyous87 and Immortiss like this.
  21. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    It is a great piece of fiction and it adds a great deal to the film-based saga. As good as any of the film novelizations.
    Back to MVS, I don't think Plagueis will be the baddie MVS will be playing. I think it just makes the galaxy feel a bit smaller if everyone was connected...[/quote]
    Looking for a disconnected saga?:p I'm not so much concerned about a small galaxy as I am a thematic, coherent and unified saga story, I-IX.

dyous87 likes this.
  22. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Edit: Discussion Quotes Fixed.

23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Has anyone sighted MVS anywhere lately? Along with Peter Mayhew, Kenny Baker and Anthony Daniels, MVS hasn't yet to be sighted in London. Could that be because he's only providing his voice and we know the ADR work will be done after prinicipal photography.

Immortiss likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Messiah.

[​IMG]

Not the Messiah.

[​IMG]

Ivan Riteman hired him to voice Vigo Von Homburg Deutschendorf in "Ghostbusters II".

Immortiss likes this.
  25. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Why would they use him just for voice? Doesn't make sense. They'd probably save millions on hiring an unknown for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.