main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Max von Sydow in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Hellhammer, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "If "brain-controlled mechanical things" qualify - isn't that Luke's hand? It doesn't seem so much "connected to Luke's muscles" as "connected to Luke's mind".

Or, for a more overt example of a cyborg that hasn't actually replaced anything - there's Dr Octopus - from the Spiderman movies at least.

2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    You're not hearing me. I'm not disagreeing that Luke meets the definition of a cyborg. However he isn't a cyborg character. He doesn't play the role of a cyborg. He plays a guy who got injured & has an artificial hand. Robocop is a cyborg character. Grievous is a cyborg character. So is Vader. That they're cyborgs defines their character. Just like Han is a rogue, Leia is a princess, Jabba is a gangster. Luke isn't a cyborg. That's not his character archetype. That's what is meant by "movie cyborg".

DNateos likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Dark Lord of the Sith" may be a bit more important to Vader's character than "cyborg".

A character can have a trait without being defined by that trait.

Rabs likes this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    That's like saying Grievous is a general, not a cyborg. They're the characters' fictional titles & their "jobs". They can be a cyborg & have the role of a general or a Sith.
    The fact that Vader's a cyborg is an essential part of his character. Arguably his most iconic elements are his look which includes his technology infused suit & his mechanically assisted breathing. It's not quite as key & obvious an element as with Robocop or the Borg but it's very prominent.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

So is Rebels. Elements of Kanan's character are based on Kane Starkiller.

6. Red_Threepio

Red_Threepio Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2014
    Assuming Max von Sydow is playing a cyborg, with dementia, and a knowledge and/or interest in Sith artifacts, and ties to the Ot/PT, I have an idea who it could possibly be....
    Sim Aloo!

MvS is about 85 today, and in the new movie, so that would make him about 55 during the events of Jedi, an believable age for Sim Aloo.
    Look at pics of the two in the 80s, there is a resemblance, and with the cyborg facial effects we can expect this would be easy to accept.
    He would have had the closest of relationships with Palpatine and so an intimate knowledge of Sith stuff.
    He could have survived the DS2 destruction like Luke, but, perhaps with serious injuries requiring cybornetic repair.
    He would be a great resource for the Adam Driver character, if its true that he is treasure hunting for Sith artifacts. Rumor is he is a weathly aristocrat, perhaps the grandson of Dooku!

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  7. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

In that case please explain while he was never called Dark Lord of the Sith in the OT. In fact, the only time he was called a Sith was when Yoda said: Destroy the two sith, we must.

8. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    That's kinda my thinking. If Driver's character is searching for artifacts, my guess is that's who MVS's character is contacting about the lightsaber.

Revanfan1 and Red_Threepio like this.
  9. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

But thematically, he IS defined by that trait. The fact that he is only "partially" a man plays right into his lost humanity. He lost his physical humanity as well as his thematic humanity. I'm talking themes here and how they relate to appearance...not that Siths HAVE to be cyborgs or anything.

Echo Base and Darth_Downunder like this.
  10. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    It really is.

11. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    This bugs me a bit... MS is a great actor, have him playing a bit part w/ CGI does seem right.

When I first read of an older man, part machine ranting and raving then becoming stone cold lucid when seeing the lghtsaber...
    kinda reminded me of Mace Windu. Technically, Luke's TESB lightsaber's was Anakin's and how bad would Windu freak out with
    seeing that thing again. having MS for that role seems like a waste of great talent and screen presence.

12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    That's the way to do it though. Have good actors play all kinds of support roles no matter how seemingly insignificant.

That's the way to do it. There are only so many lead parts to go around in a 2 hour plus movie.

13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The name Sith was never uttered once in the OT period. It seems to have been a term that Lucas came up with later on.

Darth_Corvus likes this.
  14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    But he and Palpatine WERE Sith, even if they weren't actually referred to by that name.

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Vader was called a "Dark Lord of the Sith" in the OT screenplays and novelization, but for we knew "the Sith" was a group of planets that Vader ruled.

More importantly, being a cyborg is a defining trait of Vader because if he wasn't a cyborg, he would have become twice as powerful as Palpatine, Palpatine wouldn't have tried to replace him with Luke, and Palpatine's lightning wouldn't have killed him.

Darth_Corvus and Echo Base like this.
  16. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Yeah... this wasn't clarified until much later. Zahn said that his first draft for Heir to the Empire had the Noghri named Sith, specifically because of this.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Incorrect. Lucas created the term Sith in the first draft of ANH. It wasn't used in the films itself, but it was used in the merchandising and in the scripts and novelizations.

http://starwarz.com/starkiller/

18. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

He sounds like a more talkative version of Garindan. I remember in the who's the baddie thread mentioning him as a character that could return and be explored a bit. Maybe Sydow isn't playing Garindan, but being a rat or spy on Tatooine seems to be profitable and a bit dangerous.

Ubraniff Zalkaz and Immortiss like this.
  19. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    MVS should have a bigger role he really has the acting talent to deliver EPIC scenes/lines in this movie I just hope they don't waste the opportunity...I can only imagine how amazing a MVS monologue would be about the dark side of the force he could be the yoda of the dark side explaining all the mystery of the dark side as he grooms a young apprentice it really could give the ST the philosophical tone and mystery that makes SW so amazing I'm just imagining all the things they could do with an actor as influencing as Sydow

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Didn't the MSW guy say that Max was actually contacing Han about the light saber?

21. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Sidious was more or less the dark side equivalent of Yoda; his knowledge of the dark side, Sith Alchemy and the Force itself rivals any Sith Lord.

22. SkywalkerOG

Sep 19, 2014
    Yes true I just meant like yoda in a way that he'd be mysterious and kind of out of nowhere like yoda in TESB an old stoic being that maybe the antagonist goes to for guidance like luke did with yoda in the OT simply someone to share wisdom not involved in any of the action just someone who is there for guidance

23. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Good idea. So who, from Han's past, could this be? I wonder if it's someone before alluded to, pulled from the EU, or a brand new character Han meets between ep 6 and 7.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Funny you two say this, because before ROTJ was released, I imagined Sydow as Palpatine.

25. SkywalkerOG

Sep 19, 2014
    He could have been a great palpatine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.