main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Max von Sydow in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Hellhammer, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    Maybe Valorum's son? Now the leader of the New Republic?

I doubt they would cast him as Mas Amedda. There's no reason they couldn't use the original actor for that, with wrinkly prosthetics.

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Source?

PCCViking and thejeditraitor like this.
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

That's what I was wondering. I'm not against a Rebels character appearing in TFA, but that seems to contradict what we've heard.

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's not true and Filoni never said that.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    starocean90 please help me out on this. I think you posted an extract where it was mentioned, right?

Edit: Just found it and it was TurboPGT with this extract:

Baron_Papanerd and starocean90 like this.
  6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    it's a possibility not a guarantee.;)

7. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    The Vicar remains one of the most mysterious elements of this film. His screen time is evidently short, but I just can't see this guy being a character of no great importance. I don't believe that he's a character whose story is primarily to be told in books, comics, and games, such as the former Imperial Moff rumour. In this scenario they'd be hiring a legendary actor to play a character who's essentially a marketing gimmick. I don't think this jives at all with what JJ's said about their approach to TFA.

The fact that he has the saber at the beginning of the movie suggests to me that he had a close connection to Luke. His role seems to be echoing part of Obi-Wan's in ANH, and I expect that the scene where he hands the saber to Poe will hark back to this, at least superficially. He seems to have been the custodian of the saber, but how did he get it?

D'an, Satipo and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  8. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Thank you nightangel

This helps confirm my Theory that Maz Kanata is Ahsoka Tano, who did appear in Rebels. ;)

nightangel and thatotherjedi like this.
  9. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    well that's interesting Von Sydow has supposedly been cast in Game of Thrones playing the Three eyed Raven....

nightangel and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  10. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Game of Thrones crossover confirmed!

WINTER IS COMING! [face_skull]

11. Darth Fabo

Darth Fabo Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2015
    Been hoping his name would leak. From the spoilers I would see he is some importance to some.

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    not really. he's in the film for five minutes maybe?

13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Considering no firm facts have leaked about MVS and with the possibility that those rumours that emerged are false could MVS be a character who may feature in the flashback and may be turn up later? If the flashback portrays events that have happened 10, 15 or even 20 years previously MVS could prove to be a crucial link in the main characters search for Luke.

"I once trained Jedi like your father/uncle, we made the mistake in believing we could train Jedi as good as Master Yoda had. There was a young pupil, Kylo Ren, who was fascinated with the Dark Side. He betrayed and murdered all the Jedi we trained, he was obsessed with Darth Vader, a Dark Lord of the Sith who had killed many Jedi during the Clone Wars and the civil war that followed. Find a man called Solo, he will take you to Maz Kanata. There you'll learn how to return this lightsaber to Jedi Master Luke Skywalker..."

I find that far more of a substantial role than of this 'Vicar' who seems to have the main purpose of shocking the audience when he is murdered by Kylo Ren.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    A small role can still have great importance. Look at Luke for example.

Satipo and TK327 like this.
  15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm sure Mas Amedda was disposed of after ROTS.

16. Gilrod

Gilrod Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 26, 2003
    Not according to the new canon. Mas Amedda features in a small role in the James Luceno Tarkin novel, which is set a few years after ROTS, as well as the Marvel Comic Lando #1, which is set soon after A New Hope.

17. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    It's already established he is the Grand Vizor of the Empire (basically the head administrator). I actually think that is who MVS may be playing.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That would be interesting. I am surprised that we haven't heard more rumors on MVS's character yet.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm not and I consider it good.

20. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    All I know is when mvs was first announced I was overjoyed I cannot wait to see him in a SW role he may not have a ton of screen time but I know he will leave a significant impact on the film its ****ing MVS!

21. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    His code name is the 'Vicar'. This suggests someone who is spiritual, as does the concept art we've seen. I would not be surprised if he has some Force ability. He may be the first 'wizard' we see in the film. Luke will be the last. Perhaps the 'Wizards' provide bookends to the film.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  22. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I do think there's more to his character than we know. As you say, there does seem to be a connection within the structure of the film to Luke. At the start of the movie, both Poe and Kylo wish to take the saber from the Vicar. At the end of the movie, Rey takes the saber to Luke. There's something in this.

D'an, Davak24 and TK327 like this.
  23. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    "Vicar" also suggests something possibly relating to representative in a religious capacity. The First Order and the KoR seem to have a religious overtone to them; I was hoping he'd be playing the ST's main villain, but I guess that's becoming less likely now. Maybe he's a Vicar for the KoR.

24. Oozaru

Oozaru Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2015
    As far as we know its the most secret role in the movie, he's just in one or few scenes of the movie, he's no cyborg and the latest sketch we've got shows him with a clothing that reminds me royalty.
    So, my last guess: MVS is... Ren! and appears only in one scene, the infamous flashback scene. The Flashback scene is not about Lukes burning academy or anything like that, but actually a much more ancient flashback depicting the origin of the knights of Ren (Max von Sydow).
    What do you guys think?
    For me makes perfect sense, since MVS is such a legendary actor. They wouldn't call him just for some village elder minor role.

25. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I'm totally okay with him being Kanan. Oh, and, hell yeah, Swedish actor in Star Wars! (Forgot to say that before)

Satipo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.