main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Max von Sydow in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Hellhammer, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Oh yeah, and how would you explain the map, Finn's escape etc? First 10 minutes of the movie were actually catalyst of everything that happens later on!

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  2. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Yeah, as a court person he would have considerable access to the royal family, that would include Ben. As such he may have been asked by Leia to act as a governess sort of role for Ben when she and Han were off doing things, and given their schedules I could see Lor becoming more of a family figure to Ben at points, making him feel a bit like Han was neglecting him, even if he wasn't. When he was talking to Ben he seemed to be talking from a teacher to student perspective, if that's the case maybe he was trying to help him learn things and then it got all screwed up. They call him an explorer, so I wonder if he's been going around and seeking out Ben or Luke for a while, along with items of significance for safe keeping. I wonder what the FO did with his place, I know they killed the villagers but what about his house, that place had trunks in it, as well as chairs and other items.

3. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I'm not sure...but if I recall correctly, they burnt the whole village....so his house might have been burnt down...not sure if they took any items with them though...

4. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    I think I've found another character who might be Lor San Tekka.....Ryder Azadi, the former governor of Lothal in Star Wars Rebels....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lor San Tekka is supposed to have been around from the time of the clone wars....and fought on the side of the rebels against the empire and was even arrested for treason...he also knew Princess Leia prior to episode 4 (she helped rescue him in Rebels)... this would be a nice way to tie in Star Wars Rebels to the main trilogies....

5. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

The problem I have with these theories, is why wouldn't he just be called Lor San Tekka in Rebels?

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    we know who he is! he's lor san tekka not somebody else!

Avnar likes this.
  7. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    is this the only character thread without the character's name in the the title?
    and why.

8. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    Because I read somewhere that he had another name before he was called Lor San Tekka and there are many articles all over the internet trying to identify who he might be.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    those aren't real. his name is lor san tekka. that's it.

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Now that we know, why isn't his name listed in the topic? :)

11. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    I too think that this guy's character was set up to be a part of Rogue One.

He will probably be a 20-25 year old guy that ends up being the hero that gets the Death Star plans to Leia.

12. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere, but I cannot find a thread.

With Lor San Tekka now dead, will we ever find out what the backstory is between he and Kylo?

Writers don't drop seemingly pointless lines in movies like that for nothing. What are some theories as to what their history could be? I'm guessing Kylo knew San Tekka at a time he was much younger, in his 40s perhaps.

The official wookieepedia page has San Tekka as dying 30 years after the Battle of Endor, obviously on the planet of Jakku.

So we have Rey, San Tekka (who has history with Ren), the map, and the Falcon all on this remote, outer rim desert planet at the same time. To put this into perspective in Star Wars lore, that's the equivalent of all of these people and things all being in the same trailer park, with all 4 trailers being directly across the street from each other, in Des Moines, Iowa at the exact same time.

This does not happen by coincidence in the Star Wars universe.

13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I suspect that someone had a specific reason for placing Rey on Jakku, where a village that pretty much belonged to the Church of the Force was.

14. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, it seems pretty simple to me. Lor San Tekka has obviously quite the connection to Leia (see his comment after Poe talks about Leia as "the general: "Oh, the General? To me, she is royalty.") so either he has been a long-time member of the Rebels or was from Alderaan, maybe even with a connection to the court. With Kylo Ren being Leia's son, there is your connection between the two.

dolphin likes this.
  15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think he's from Alderaan and I think he's an old family friend of the Organa's.

16. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Well, there were several Sacred Villages on Jakku, only one of which was worshiped the Force. Also, Rey's Survival Guide establishes that Rey knew next to nothing about any of them (except delivering a few messages from Niima) and that the Villages were isolationists. So, I'm thinking that it was happenstance that Force-centric Sacred Village was on the same planet Rey grew up on. Also, for what it's worth, we know that Rey grew up in the scavenger culture, with only other scavengers as authority figures (some good, others bad) before striking out on her own (actually, come to think of it, it's pretty exceptional she turned out to be the kind-hearted person she did).

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    isn't he supposed to be 'watching over' Rey ?

JediMatteus likes this.
  18. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002

According to whom?

19. ForgottenMaster

ForgottenMaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015

I agree.

20. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    According to no one yet.. I hope.

Anyway it gets you wondering why they picked the great Max Von Sydow for such a small role. Perhaps he'll be in a flashback / vision later?

And how did he get the map? Is there an explanation in the novelization?

21. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002

No, but in the visual guide it indicates he's a kind of Jedi lore/treasure hunter. It's implied he helped Luke in the past with searching for Jedi artifacts.

22. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015

The line wasn't pointless. It's meant to establish a history between the two characters. Kylo knows Lor San Tekka as Tekka likely watched over Kylo as he grew up. The line was there for the audience to draw those kinds of conclusions.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but when did dialogue like this become pointless. It's actually satisfying to see the writers thinking about backstories to stuff, and not explaining everything on-screen.

Alison Organa and Stoneymonster like this.
  23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Seems legit.

24. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    The Poe Dameron comic - only 2 issues in and I haven't received the second yet so I have only read the first - might be going in this direction. Poe is tracking Tekka on Leia's orders and goes to some planet and talks to a cult-like group of people (who are protecting something they call "the egg" which they claim is gestating a savior of some sort). They refer to Lor San Tekka as "the traveler". They are wary of Poe and at first and refuse to help. The issue ended with the First Order closing in.

I may be mistaken, but I believe of all the new EU stories we have gotten this is the one the takes place closest to E7 chronologically (although I am not sure when this takes place relative to the C-3PO one shot comic so maybe that one is closest).

Rickern likes this.
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    can't remember , I thought someone had said it . Do you think its a coincidence then - that he's there near Rey ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.